iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf and weed control

Started by Hendrix, August 13, 2018, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendrix

First for some background: I had 40 acres of cutover sprayed and then burned last winter. Then before the new year had containerized longleaf hand planted. The planter suggested that I spray the sight in early spring to kill back the weeds and give the new seedling a head start. So far they are doing really well but what worries me is that with all of this rain it looks like the weeds and vines are taking over. Sweetgum, weeds and vines mostly with natural pine growth in some areas. Should I be concerned that a large amount of the longleaf are under the cover of this growth. When you look out over the property in some places it is hard to even see one through the mass of green. Then ones I do see seem to be doing well. I have even uncovered some that I found and they seem healthy as well. Will this be a problem in the future. The gentleman who did my planting says it is fine, dont worry about it and we will burn in 3 years. Does anyone have another suggestions such as spraying again? Thanks

WDH

Contact your local Georgia Forestry Commission office and ask one of the Foresters to come out and take a look. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!