iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grading lumber

Started by mdjblacksmith, September 16, 2013, 10:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdjblacksmith

I know I have read posts talking about needing graded lumber for construction on here, but was wondering where would one go to get certified in grading? I  know it is required in my area, so was kicking the idea around. PA and NY, because I'm on the  border.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

There have been some posts and threads about doing this, and it is not cheap.

Searching may come up with some hits to read.

What are you wanting to grade? And what are you building that needs the graded lumber?

Both hardwood and softwood?

NELMA is a grading agency to contact (Northeast Lumber Mfg. Assoc).  They grade and also certify graders.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Good Morning mdjblacksmith, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mdjblacksmith

Thanks, beenthere. The reason I was considering grading is my friend is going to be building a house in the next 1-2 years, and figured that would be a good excuse to get certified. If it is prohibitively expensive, I may just see if I can pay a grader from the big mill across town to come down for a couple nights or something, then pass that along in the bill.  Looking at structural grading only, if that is possible, but I will definitely check out the link you posted.  Thanks again.

mdjblacksmith

beenthere, I contacted NELMA this morning, and there is a great alternative to the expense of getting certified. For about $250 a day, plus mileage, they will send a per diem grader to the site to grade  the customer's lumber. I don't know if that info had been posted on here lately, but it was helpful to me. Thanks again!

WH_Conley

Make sure you have plenty of help. That $250.00 is per day, not volume. If you don't have enough help your grading expense will be high. He can grade a lot of lumber in a day if you can out of the way.
Bill

Ron Wenrich

You have to make sure you have enough lumber to make it worthwhile.  If you're looking at softwoods, it might be hard to beat the prices at the local lumber yard.  If you're looking at post and beam, then you are offering something that's harder to come by. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

mdjblacksmith
In another thread,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68232.msg1035723.html#msg1035723
jdtuttle has the following info that may help you. At minimum, check it out.

QuoteHere is the text of the NY 2010 Residential Code on grade stamps:

R502.1 Identification. Load-bearing dimension lumber for joists, beams and girders shall be identified by a grade mark of a lumber grading or inspection agency that has been approved by an accreditation body that complies with DOC PS 20. In lieu of a grade mark, a certificate of inspection issued by a lumber grading or inspection agency meeting the requirements of this section shall be accepted.

Exception: Dimension lumber which is neither identified by a grade mark nor issued a certificate of inspection by a lumber grading or inspection agency may be used for load bearing purposes under the following conditions when authorized by the authority having jurisdiction:
1. The producing mill shall sell or provide the lumber directly to the ultimate consumer or the consumer's contract builder for use in an approved structure.2. The producing mill shall certify in writing to the consumer or contract builder on a form to be provided by the authority having jurisdiction that the quality and safe working stresses of such lumber are equal to or exceed No. 2 grade of the species in accordance with the conditions set forth in American Softwood Lumber Standard (PS 20-99) published by the United States Department of Commerce. Such certification shall be filed as part of the building permit application.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Leigh Family Farm

The only fully certified grading course I ever heard of is the one offered by the National Hardwood Lumber Association in Memphis, TN. Its a 14 week course and costs about $2,500.00 + room & board.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

A bit different for construction grades, vs. the factory grades that NHLA maintains.
south central Wisconsin

Ron Wenrich

I was under the impression that it is softwoods and not hardwoods.  Not many people are building with hardwood dimension stock.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!