iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board width

Started by bandmiller2, September 15, 2013, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Just an easy way to use random widths. I built a shed,boarded it vertical,used all 10 foot long boards.Did not matter what the widths were. But when I did the roof,I had to be more careful about what I used. But it worked out very well. And yes,I would use random width again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I almost always cut in even widths.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

I resided my house many years ago and I wanted to keep it in its original style.  The house was built in the 1850s and used board and batten style.  I used 10" and wider white pine.  The widths varied, but all I needed were 2 boards of nearly the same width to make the length I needed for a 2 story run.  It took more time to match the boards, but you can do that when you take them off the truck.  The only thing that had the same width were the battens.  I guess that's how they did things back then.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GDinMaine

The last two jobs I sawed the customers said they want it to any width on the full inch.  I sawed 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 12 wide boards.  Once I cut cedar as narrow as 3" as per customer request. Those were done by the hour.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

bandmiller2

Ron,how did you handle the butt seams square or bevel cut any sealer in between. Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

I bevel cut so any water could drain away.  The originals also were bevel cut.  They lasted 150 years.  I only removed them because it was getting harder to paint.  Much of it was old growth white pine, and I have it stashed in the barn.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!