iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ 40 VS Woodmizer lx150 or lt15wide ?

Started by Jstier, September 14, 2020, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

Curious opinions on Boardwalk EZ 40 or getting a Wood-Mizer lx150 or lt15wide. I'd like to keep it below 13k. I have a frontier OS23 and looking for something with a nice wide option. 

Bruno of NH

The lx150 has power up/down and power feed 
I think simple set.
That gets my vote
Ez is built heavy which is nice. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hopm

I have come to the point I believe there are some really high quality mills available and everyone does their due diligence before purchasing. Mill purchase has to be according to your plans and needs. Because of this everyone believes their selection is the best. With that being said....😁😁😁...I can't imagine anything coming close  to exceeding my expectations as the EZ Boardwalk model 40.👍👍👍

ladylake

How wide between the guide rollers on the EZ40, the LX150 wide and the Lt 15 wide?   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bruno of NH

Steve
I think the lt15 wide is 34"
Lx 150 35.5 "
Not sure on the Ez 40
I think 36" the frame is much heavier on the EZ
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

New EZ Boardwalk 50. ;) it will be tough enough and wide!

Brad_bb

I have LT15 with 19hp gas engine.  Problem with the wider you cut, more HP is better.  So if you are cutting wide, choose the largest engine you can get on any of these.  Even if Diesel engine on LT15wide is rated same HP as gas, it probably has more torque I'm thinking, which might be better.  But whether you use gas, Diesel or electric also depends on your situation.  I run indoors and have been using gas so I have to have a lot of ventilation.  Planning to switch to electric(new mill with electric).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mudfarmer

How soon do you need it? At this point in the state of the world that would be my #1 question. I ordered LT15 in July, picked up Aug21 but they did not have power feed that I ordered (and did not tell me until I showed up). As of call today they still have not shipped and do not know when they will but still have my money :)

The EZ looks like a real nice mill but I think all needs should be evaluated on an individual basis and nobody can tell you what you should get! You will love any of them I am sure, especially if #1 priority is wider cut.

Jstier

Just ordered my EZ Boardwalk40! 

Haven't heard one bad thing about them. That tied in with them being built like a tank , it was an easy option. Now the waiting period begins.

Thanks for all the info guys. 

Nebraska

Congratulations on the new mill, be sure to post pictures.

stavebuyer

A question for you EZ owners? On a WM LT 15 the dimension of a cant is read off the ruler scale but the thickness of the boards is determined by the "clicks or notches" of the wheel so boards are very uniform in thickness. Does the EZ have a similar index wheel for board thickness?

TroyC

The EZ 40 does not index. It has a ruler scale. The advantage is that you can cut ANY thickness. The disadvantage is that you have to watch the scale for uniform dimensions.

TroyC

Jstier- the Boardwalk is built solid and you will find stuff on it that is not mentioned on their web page- for example, both blade guides are adjustable. 12" thickness cut if you want to run multiple cuts before offloading . You will find that you will be looking for places to dry lumber! Hope you have a loader, I use a tractor grapple and it works great. Enjoy your new mill!

Jstier

Quote from: TroyC on September 22, 2020, 07:27:08 PM
Jstier- the Boardwalk is built solid and you will find stuff on it that is not mentioned on their web page- for example, both blade guides are adjustable. 12" thickness cut if you want to run multiple cuts before offloading . You will find that you will be looking for places to dry lumber! Hope you have a loader, I use a tractor grapple and it works great. Enjoy your new mill!
Thanks for the info, I didn't know both guides were adjustable. If you think of anything that you have learned with yours let me know!  
I have a old bobcat 743 with forks. Its old, leaks, but it does WORK! I'll be sure to add pics when I get the new mill. I'm going to keep milling with my little Frontier OS23 until the new EZ gets here.
Oh and I just built a new solar Kiln, now to just start filling it up...

TroyC

I put mine on jacks so I can move it easily. The frame on the 40 is 6" channel, very sturdy. If you get the trailer package it comes with a log turner/axle remover. I put an electric winch on the turner but haven't tried it yet. Turning a 23" log with the manual winch will certainly build up your arm muscles. When you have to start pushing the saw it is time to change blades. 

It cuts 1 1/8 from the bed. Don't adjust it lower. Also, it's easy to nick the 2 log supports if you get careless  :).

The gas tank is black and the lube tank is actually a small red gas tank. I labeled mine to make me think when filling.

Any questions feel free to ask. I only have 30 hrs on mine and I'm still learning!

Thank You Sponsors!