iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swedish Candle

Started by luvmexfood, March 25, 2014, 07:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I think that is the right name. Basically a hollow log cut into firewood length and a fire started on the inside. Supposedly you can set an iron skillet on top and cook on it. Going to have to try that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Mark Wentzell

I've heard of this too. I think the species used is larch, you cut two chainsaw kerfs down the centre of the log in an "X" and the pitch drips out and fills the kerf. That's what burns.

DonT

I used one today at lunch time.Ours was a 20inch block of white ash,we made 4 vertical cuts down about 16 inches dribbled some gas in the centre and lit it up.It draws air in the bottom and burns the edges of the saw cuts.Great way to cook lunch in the woodlot.

deerguy

DonT, we do the same thing using dry standing pine. Locally its called chico or chicot depending on who you talk to. I always carry a continer of old ceiling tile or tentest that has been cut into 1" X 2" blocks and soaked in old fuel or solvent. We just drop the block into the saw cuts, push it to the bottom and light it. works every time and a little cleaner/safer than the gas with kids around. They're all teens or older now but still talk about the fantastic shore lunches we cooked, especially ice fishing !!
Thanks for the flash-back....
Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

woodsteach

We've been using the version of Swedish Candle that is a hollowish log.  Basically any kind of wood that is of firewood length or longer that is somewhat hollow.  Even if the hole is only 1" dia.  prop the log up on a couple of bricks/rocks.  Place some diesel soaked sawdust under the log and light.  Might have to add some twigs to the hole to get the chimney burning and enjoy. 

This version looks a lot safer to use around young children than the one with chainsaw cuts, as all the fire is in the hole/chimney of the hollow log.  I've looked at pix on bing http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Swedish+Candle+Log&FORM=RESTAB

I made a "wok" out of a disc blade and cook with it on top of the hole/chimney of the candle and it works great, you just have to prop it up so that you don't totally block off the chimney.

I thought that I had some pictures but I can't locate them at the moment.  Might just have to have another wiener roast this weekend and take some pic.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

thecfarm

I have to dry some wood and try that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MAF143

Old post, I'm a little behind the times... LOL

I made a couple out of ash after seeing this post.  They worked out good.  To start them we poured a little used motor oil in the center and let it sit for a while then a capful of tiki torch oil right before lighting it.  We got about 2-1/2 hours of flame till it started falling apart.

Noodled 8 slots the length of my 18" bar around the 24" long round into the center.  This picture is about 25 minutes into the burn when it got stabilized.  I tried some the next evening too and with a little more breeze some of the flame comes out the side and throws off more light.  This one had very little breeze and mainly had the rocket flame coming up out of the center.

Either way, pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing the idea.  I would have never thought of anything like this without seeing it first...   bon_fire
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Mike W

My son does something quite similar to these, he drills a hole with a long auger bit down the center about 3/4 the length of the log then drills one through the side to meet the bottom of the first hole drilled, a bit of the shaving to kick it off and burns like a champ for hours, he calls it a 'rocket log' great to cook on without having to have a full blown camp fire.

WV Sawmiller

I saw this on a TV series with a Brit showing survival techniques. (He was the only guy I ever saw who typically looked like he gained weight and looked well rested when they dropped him off a few weeks in some isolated spot for a few weeks. He made survival look like a picnic and was very nonchalant and lived comfortably - little things like smearing pitch on bed posts to keep bugs from climbing up them, etc ). He took a dry pine log about firewood length, quartered it and put them loosely back together and stuck them upright in heavy snow which held the pieces together then sprinkled some kindling in the top and lit it. The reflected heat from each quarter kept the others burning as it burned from the top to the bottom and he'd put a kettle or coffee pot or skillet on top.  I'd think lacking snow you could stack stones around the pieces or tie them together with an old hay string or such.

I think if you partially quarter a firewood chunk by chainsawing it partway down it will burn to the bottom of the cut then go out as you no longer have the reflected heat to keep it going - same reason one piece of firewood won't burn but 2 equal sized pieces will burn completely up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

twobears

they sell Swedish fire logs in the stores around here..they plunge cut a x in the center of the log and cut a air hole on the side at the bottom of the log.theres even a company selling griddle/grates for them.

Thank You Sponsors!