iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo cs-680

Started by missouriboy, November 02, 2013, 09:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missouriboy

Just wanting to know if anyone has ran or owns a echo cs-680 and if so how do you like them. I need a saw that i can run a 24 in bar and chain.

BDM53

Quote from: missouriboy on November 02, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
Just wanting to know if anyone has ran or owns a echo cs-680 and if so how do you like them. I need a saw that i can run a 24 in bar and chain.

Looking at a used CS670 locally myself. Have a CS510 but would like something with a little more guts.

SawTroll

Quote from: missouriboy on November 02, 2013, 09:30:16 PM

I wouldn't want to - the power to weight ratio is really bad, as with most Echo saws.
Information collector.

sharkey

The reason that theyre a little heavier is because they have a metal tank.  They also come with both the manual and automatic oiler which is a feature most other manufacturers have stopped offering except for the top of the line models.  With a little work on the muffler to flow better and enriching the carb a little you will have quite a good saw that will last you many years.     

ladylake

As they come Echo saws can be doggy tuned lean with a clogged up muffler , in 15 minutes they run real good and cut just as good as any saw cc for cc.   Steve   
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jackfork

I have had a cs-680 with a 24" bar for about a year.  Most of of what I cut is Oak and Hickory; with some Bois d'arc and Black Walnut throw in. The saw has done a good job for me. It is heavy but no heavier than saws I compared it with at the dealer at a cheaper price. It has a manual oiler which comes in handy. I have not found it to be "doggy" as an earlier commenter said. I would buy it again.
540 acres of which appox. 300 is wooded, 10 acres of water, and rest open pasture.
Timberwolf TW-5, Stihl 180, 270, 660, Echo CS-680

ladylake

If tuned too lean as a lot of saws are now days any brand they will bog easy and could burn up, also Echo saws come with a clogged up muffler and make big gains by opening them up a little.  Not saying they are all tuned lean from the factory but a lot are.   If you bought it from a GOOD dealer he will have pulled the limiter caps and made sure it's tuned right, not all dealers are good.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MidWestTree

The Echo CS line of saws is full of something important, value. Your getting a lot of quality for a reasonable price, I look for them to take away some customers from both the big names in smaller saws.

For a dedicated 24" bar saw assuming it's seeing regular use I wouldn't use the CS-680 or anyone else's saw at 66.8cc.
That's a job for a bigger, heavier saw you can pick up and get through those cuts with faster. Your back will thank you running a little more power.

Sure, it would pull a 24" bar in the wood on occasion if that's all you needed it to for firewood scrounging, and with a 20" bar it would be an excellent choice.

KonaKustoms

I purchased a CS-590 Echo for a backup saw about 4 weeks ago. I love it for a 20" logging saw. It has alot of power and I would say it runs just as good as my 036 Pro Stihl with a 20" bar and have gotten to where I grab it first out the truck to log with. Love this saw! I will be getting a bigger Echo soon to replace my Stihl saws. It starts very easy and idles great cold & the 5 yr warranty is great (1 yr I believe if you use commercially).
I did get it from a good dealer and saw shop so he may have tinkered with it a little since he knows I log with my saws, I will have to ask him. I would be scared to mess with the saw's muffler if it voided the warranty. Also read and was told to only run Echo oil for warranty issues for what that's worth.
All in all we have 3 Echo saws running weekly with several tanks of gas a day flying threw them and we love them.
The reason we went to Echo over Stihl is we lost 2 new saws this year do to piston failure and Stihl only fixed them 1 time and told us we were not covered after that repair witch really made me upset since we buy 4 new saws a year from my "old dealer".
Hope you all like your New Echo saw's like we do and get a good saw from them like we seem to have gotten.

Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

ladylake

It sounds like your Stihl saws came tuned lean(most likely) unless they had that auto tune which would not be working right if they melted down.  I won't run any new saw without making sure it's not tuned too lean. As you mentioned Echo saws have the best bang for the buck by far, either new or when buying parts. On my new CS 500 you can open muff up in 2 minutes by taking 4 screws out and removing a tube inside the muff  which can be put back in if a warranty issue would come up. The CS500 is on light 50cc saw with really good power and this one came tuned perfect but I pulled the limiter caps to make sure.   Steve
Steve

Z50guru

I own and run an CS670 which is well built, reliable and not finicky with colder weather. I pulled the caps and opened up the muff a bit and its runs and idles great. The oiler works well also. Often evident when left to idle a bit and back on the trigger it will shoot a nice slimy snot web of oil. Mine handles a 20 3/8 pitch full comp with no probs. Not quite a rev ranger saw but pulls excellent low and midrange power through hardwood. With a 20 bar i wouldnt be afraid to try an 8 pin rim for just a bit more chain speed. I think it might handle that well enough.

ladylake

Lot to like with Echo saws, handling is great, huge power band, start and run great, easy to work on and priced right with reasonable parts.   Steve

skeetsman

got a 40 year old cs8000 i run on a csm mostly cut cherry also run a cs6700 that i fell with. together these two saws are older than me. both have muf mods, and run pretty much trouble free. however i am not a pro logger, maybe results would be different.
cs8000, 702evl, 365sp, 32 ton splitter 350husk, cs6700

mikenm05

I have the saw,  probly have 50 hours on it. I am 6'3, the 27in bar I got from the local tractor shop that sells echo is great for me because it saves me having to bend over for small cuts.  I would say the pros of this saw are that it far more "future proof" than many of its new, from the store, competitors. Allot of these guys in here are like "buy such and such 25 y/o saw from this guy."  but when your not rich or been married for 30 years your wife doesn't want you spending money on buying a saw older that her sister cousin got from some guy in the holler.  Don't believe all the crap on these forums that you need to tear apart the exhaust to get this saw running well. cuts just fine for me.  cuts as fast as anything else i have handled in this price range.  They have been making them for 20 years so ya know they cant be too bad. No crazy $400 German computers on board(why I didn't buy a Stihl), air filter is available at gas stations.  Its top selling point for me was that is is basic.  its the toyota tacoma of saws.  sure there is stuff with a bit more power and a bit lighter and a bit more efficient., but there is a reason you buy it and that's simple reliability and dependability. There will always be parts available for this saw, cost of ownership will be low, and it runs well and for a long time.   If your making money off a saw sure buy something that your going to wear out and sell to the next sucker in two years.   If you want something that your 15 year old grandson is going to see and be like "one of these days dad is going to let me use the echo." Buy a CS680

Spike60

I'm not usually at a loss for words, but I'm not quite sure what to say here. Sure is an awful lot of "opinion" for a first ever post, and in reply to an 8 year old thread to boot. I can hardly wait for the next one.  :)

"air filter is available at gas stations"  This is priceless.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!