iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water additive

Started by Qweaver, August 16, 2013, 03:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I think I've been using Pinesol but can't find the bottle.  Will just any soap (laundry or dish) work just as well...or is there an even better one.  I've got a lot of pine to saw and no soap on hand.  If I'm going to run to the store I might as well get the best for the job.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

grweldon

Magicman uses Cascade dishwasher liquid.  I'm trying it right now and it works well.  I've also used Ajax dishwashing soap for washing dishes by hand.  It worked well also.  I would imagine most any liquid hand dishwashing soap would work.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Qweaver

I just happen to have some Cascade...now if I can just get it out of the house without Sarah catching me.  8)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

hackberry jake

I believe the reason people like magic use cascade over other soap is because it doesnt foam up as bad.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 16, 2013, 04:17:54 PM
I believe the reason people like magic use cascade over other soap is because it doesnt foam up as bad.

You're right Hack.....in fact, it doesn't foam at all. Walmart carries a knock off brand of Cascade that I use and it is a lot cheaper.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I broke down a while back and tried Magic's recipe, and have to say it works really good, and very inexpensive, the results are excellent.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Stuff like Dawn should work well but you would need to add it after the water to prevent a bubble bath.  Cascade and other automatic dishwasher soaps are formulated to cut grease, etc. without foaming.  I add the 2 oz. per gallon to the jug before the water hose.  Filling stirs and mixes it very well.  The cost is about 60 cents per 5 gallon jug.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

I thought it was a glug per gallon??  :)
lt15

Magicman

:-[  Guilty as charged. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

After the fashion of Magicman, I also use Cascade, 120 oz from Walmart for $6.  Add about 5 squeezes for 5 gallons, and more if needed for pine, hickory, ash etc.  The value is in its formulation which dissolves readily in water, in addition to not foaming.  Only issue is that when it gets cold and one starts adding washer fluid, it will knock some soap out of solution which can clog the screen filter or keep check valves open on my mill.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

These detergents also have a surfactant that is a wetting agent and helps break the normal water surface tension so that the solution wets better.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!