iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dentist visit vs. waterboarding

Started by DMcCoy, March 10, 2020, 03:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

I have never been waterboarded but I suspect it was invented by a sadistic dental hygienist.
Yeah, I just got my teeth cleaned....

sprucebunny

I've felt the same way most of my life but a considerate hygenist and going every 3 monthe instead of 4 or 6 made it easier to take.

I also knock myself out cleaning my teeth: power tooth brush and expensive paste and rinse.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raider Bill

Place I go to is a 2 person office. Husband's the dentist/ hygentist, wife is the dental assistant/ office girl. First dentist I've ever liked. Young Philippineo guy. Very gentle.
4 times a year cleanings.
 On a sameish note, ever try to buy real dental insurance?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

YellowHammer

I agree, you need to find a different dentist.  

Mine has TV, very professional, no pain, quick.  He likes to talk fishing.  Last time I pulled out my cell phone and he showed me some of his best bass spots on Guntersville while he was looking at my X-rays.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

My dentist is my age, and is a hunter. He has a whitetail mount that looks at me in the waiting room.

He does have a lamp I noticed today that reminded me of something

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DMcCoy

The dentist is actually fine and so is the hygienist it's the *DanG water that gets to me.  They really lay you down - almost flat - I don't choke and cough but it isn't easy.

Southside

Funny, it was because of the hygienist that I would put up with the dentist.   ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clearcut

Had a hygienist, Yvonne who was so gentle and soothing, I would fall asleep in the chair. She took a job teaching at a dental school, and the world is a significantly better place.

Current hygienist is Traci. Also gentle, but not fall asleep gentle. 

If a dental hygiene visit is waterboarding, I would find a new dental office and floss more. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

gspren

The cleanings I don't mind but I'm still in process with an implant, painful in the mouth and wallet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

This post reminds me I read somewhere that every well equipped torture chamber had a dental chair. Maybe you need to go re-watch Marathon Man. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DbltreeBelgians

I fear the dentist. I have ever since I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once. 3 were impacted and had to be split and cut out. I really dislike that guy. I don't go to him anymore.
I once told my current dentist that I've dove the murky depths searching for bodies, guns, cars, and all kinds of evidence and I dance with the devil on his playground fighting fire and none of it bothers me but he scares the daylights out of me. He doesn't get it. 
I get what ya mean about the water boarding though!!

Brent

Resonator

The only thing worse than the zinging sound of my Wood-Mizer cutting nails is the zing of a dentist's drill. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

I have had teeth removed, due to not enough money to fix them. Been to 4 dentists,3 of them have removed teeth, one did some root canals, when I had more money. One of the above I almost walked out on, never went back. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sedgehammer

@DMcCoy Getting waterboarded is no fun, true, but when it's being done in training vs for real, worlds of difference. Ya know the friendly isn't going to kill you. Well, you're pretty sure anyways. :D Leastwise with yours, as long as you're sure they didn't have it in for ya, you're gonna live..... ;D I'd relocate to a non HZ. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

kantuckid

About 20 years ago when i was faced with crowns on a bunch of teeth damaged from sports and a helicopter jacking accident, a local dentist told me I might consider the U of KY Dental College. I am one of many, (that's MANY!!!) seniors seen there alo0ng with students of that univ. and many Hispanics too. Being a retired educator I enjoy the savings and the students too. Going to a dental college has a multitude of benefits beyond the savings. FWIW, if I went to the VA right behind the dental college I'd have some of the same students.
Only 3rd & 4th year students are assigned to us, in what is a doctoral program. Each procedure is looked upon by faculty before, during and after it's done. Another special feature is the consultations which matter when your teeth are the age and condition of mine-yes I am a pre-flouride generation guy who's had lots of silver amalgams over my lifetime in spite of being a brusher. I also played college football and baseball before mouth guards became commonplace.
On one floor there are peridontist in training, another is orthodontics and my favorite place of all is maxillo facial surgery on the 5th floor, where they cut away large portions of your face at times. They are MD residents up there who I see once a year for a pre-cancerous gum area that gets tissue sampled and photographed when I'm in for a regular dental visit downstairs with my student dentist. many universities don't have dental schools so KY has lots of students from all over the USA and foreign countries. You are assigned a new student during their 3rd year and stick with them until they graduate. My previous student (from Chattanooga, TN) is becoming a pediatric dentist so I got a new student due to much more work to come. I am not a pediatric patient at 76-ha!
My costs are far less than a street dentist, even much less than if I had dental insurance, which I've always found to be a waste of money anyway. It does slow down the overall work as each new student has a procedure to sorty of map out ones mouth but overall I get a level of expertise far beyond the typical dental office. having a building full of top dentists and specialties makes that a unique service point for me. it's not unusual to get 3-4 professional opinions on one specific procedure/issue during a visit and that's beyond my student dentists opinion.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!