iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plantar faciitis

Started by trapper, May 11, 2020, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

I have what I believe to be plantar fasciitis. Any tips to relieve some of the pain until I get to the  doctor on thursday? 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Don P

Don't walk more than you gotta. Always wear a shoe with a stiff sole, limit the bending of the bottom of your foot. It's miserable and slow to heal but with care you do heal back up.

I did it to myself on a job, the finish floors were in and there was a ton of trimwork to go. I started wearing slippers and took them off at the door working in socks inside then wore the slippers out to the shop and in there on the concrete floor, not noticing till way late that it was making me lame. It was a few years and constantly being careful with my shoes and feet before it finally went away.

lazyflee

Runners Stretch. 1 minute each leg. Suffered with it for years. Doctor diagnosed it in 2 minutes, molded my feet for inserts, I wear them religiously now. Got to where I could hardly get out of bed in morning. Good luck

Brian_Rhoad

Before you get out of bed in the mornings, roll your feet on a soup can or mini dumbbell weight. You need to stretch the bottom of your feet before you put any weight on them. Pull the front (toes) of your feet back towards your shins. Use a towel or belt around your toes. When you sleep or are off of your feet for a while, the tissues in your feet relax and shrink. When you put weight on your feet the tissue doesn't stretch as it should. It tears away from where it attaches to the bone. Once this happens it will cause pain until it can relax again. This is what causes heal spurs as the bone grows out towards the tissue in pointy spurs from repeated tearing. Wearing shoe inserts also helps.

thecfarm

Yes, do the exercises before your feet hit the floor. Brenda had that. I think she only did the stretches of the feet. Dr. will give you some to do. My boss had feet trouble. I told him what to do and he felt a lot better each morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Poquo

I wear night splints , they keep your feet at 90 degrees while your sleeping .Before I started wearing them my feet hurt getting out of bed in the morning . After about a week I wake up pain free , seems to help the healing process .Find some inserts that support your foot , change them often .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doc henderson

ibuprofen 800 mg every 6 to 8 hours, unless you are allergic, have kidney troubles, or on blood thinners, or on ace inhibitor blood pressure meds.  anti-inflammatory.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wudman

Ditto on the insoles.  For me, the $49.00 Doctor Scholl's (step on the computer at WalMart) inserts worked as well as the $350.00 doctor custom inserts.  Don't walk around barefooted.  I wear Sketcher's with inserts in the house.  The Red Wings with inserts keep me walking otherwise.  Shoes sit beside the bed....they go on when I stand up.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

doc henderson

I also wear redwing 8 inch boots with inserts by them.  and sketchers at work.  Ibuprofen to try until you see the doc.  good examples of the stretching on internet.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

trapper

Thanks for all the helpful replys.  Have been wearing inserts in work shoes and another pair in slippers around the house.  Got a new pair of redwings.  Had to wait  two months to get them after ordering by phone from my redwing dealer.  Using atv as my mobility scooter as much as possible. Especially like the idea of stretching my foot before putting weight on it.  Thanks doc for the dosage for ibuprofen I was only taking two to relieve my restless legs at bedtime to keep from kicking my wife. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

dgdrls

Been there,  twice,

I beat it the first time with exercises, not the second,  Dr. offered shots but recommended therapy.
So I passed on the shots and went to therapy,
warm moist towels with electro-therapy (tens unit)
Then on the table and the therapist would run plastic
tools (like a shaped scraper) across the bottom of my foot to
stretch-out the fascia,  three times a week, three weeks as I recall.

No recurrences and its been 6-7 years.

Good luck

D

doc henderson

Trapper, go ahead and kick your wife if she needs it! :D but I hope you feel better soon!  try tums which is calcium carbonate for muscle cramps or restless leg.  take 2 before bed, and if having trouble in the night, chew up 4.

trapper

good info doc BUT showed your reply to my wife.  She will remember you if there is a  pig roast this year. :D

doc henderson

I truly look forward to it!   :)

realzed

I had a bad case of PF years ago and it took a few tries to get fitted properly with a orthotic insole for my shoe and one I could easily transfer to my boots as well, to finally get some relief from it. 
Probably before the final version of insole was arrived at until I could actually say I could walk around pain-free it was close to a month.. but I haven't had any issues since and I probably wore that insert for close to a year and a half or more, before I gradually started using just normal shoes and boots again without any issues.
Make sure to get whatever footwear you buy and wear comes with solid heel support and one that firmly supports and keeps your heel in place and also a wearable that has a good platform that includes a well defined instep.  
Often any ideal instep and foot platform will feel uncomfortable at first - but it's obtrusiveness usually means it is doing what is necessary to keep your foot arched up and that is a good thing..  
Good Luck!

trapper

Saw the foot doc today. Raider Bill got the shot.  She gave me several options and when I chose the shot she said that would have been her first choice.  Thanks to all of your advice she said I was doing everything right.

dgdrls

Good news Trapper, 

Take care of it,

D

Ron Scott

Had it a number of years ago when I was doing a lot of woods walking while marking and cruising timber. Carrying the constant weight of tools and tree marking paint started the severe foot pain.

The VA doctor had custom inserts made for me to wear in my shoes and boots. Wore them for some time and the foot pain went way. I still wear the inserts as needed but the pain has basically gone away.
~Ron

VTwoodworker

Hope the shot works for you.  I have had this on my right foot.  Used Advil on a regular schedule and doctor recommended rolling my foot on a frozen container of orange juice concentrate.  Rolled for about 10 minutes morning and night until the container started to thaw.  Put as much weight on the foot as I could bear while rolling.  It hurt like heck until the cold started to kick in.  

I found that I needed to continue with both the Advil and rolling until it was completely better - needed stay on the schedule even after it started to feel better.  

DbltreeBelgians

Been dealing with this for better than a year. Had it years ago also after taking a spill off a ladder. Had the injection in my heal 3 times in the last 12 months. Helps for a little while. Been rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle. Had orthotics for years in my work boots. Can't stand wearing tennis shoes. Just not my thing I guess. Need to find some sort of insert for my fire boots. Seems like my feet are hurting the worst after I return from a call and put my work boots back on. My foot doc prescribed Mobic as an anti inflammatory and that seems to be helping but he also ordered bloodwork for kidneys just to make sure we don't do damage. 

Brent

Raider Bill

Try those inserts I listed in reply #6. I suggested them to a full time fireman friend for the same reason. He likes them.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!