iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From Chickens to Sawdust!

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 11, 2005, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

My wife has been searching the internet for days reading up on chickens, geese and ducks.  Now Arky, we havent been able to find any Dickens but thats another story ;D

Today I came back inside from putting a log in the stove out back and my wife was on the phone and said some guy wants to talk to me about some walnut.  Turns out this guy has chickens for sale but the subject quickly went to wood when my wife told him we are into wood cutting.............kinda sorta ;D

Faster than a speeding bullet and in a single bound across the room, I was on the phone. 

JACKPOT! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Note that we did NOT talk about chickens for a single second ;D 

When this guy found out I had a mill he asked if I would be interested in cutting up his 5 cotton wood logs into 2x material for his horse stalls. 

As I told him I was interested and tried to tell him our rates he stopped me in my tracks. 

"Hang on there son.  Heres the deal.  Out back we had this Walnut Orchard, bout 20 acres, and when we bought this place we bulldozed it for pasture for our horses.  Walnut aint no good for horses, you know.  Well, its like this, I thought I could cut that there walnut up for firewood and get rid of it pretty quick but turns out that stuff burns hotter than I thought and its going to take me 20 years to burn all that.  Now I know there is some small stuff that you may not want but I think some of the bigger stuff might be worth your effort."

Well sir, I'm interested for sure.  What size are these walnuts that you dont think I will want?

"Well, them little ones are only bout 16" diameter so you may not want to waste your time on them."

How big are the bigger ones?

"Oh, them big ones is bout 3-4 feet across the stump.  Theyze pretty big and most of them are bout 20 foot long.  Got anything you can haul those with?" 

Sure, got a flatbed trailer that will hold a few, how many you got?

"Oh, must be 50-60 trees out there.  I done cut up most of them smaller ones but your welcome to all of them if you can cut me some 2x material out of that cottonwood.  That stuff aint no good for burnen you know.  That sound like a fair deal to you?

Well, SIR, I am definatly interested but if the logs are as you describe thats not excatly fair to you considering the walnut is worth LOTS more than what its going to cost me to cut your cottonwood.

"Well son, you got the job and the walnut if you want it.  You see, I done talked to half a dozen folks this week who were offered the same proposal and they all said sounds OK.  I sent um packin.  Your the first one that ever told me it wouldnt be fair to me.  I like that!  I know whats fair, you'll make out real good on this and so will I.  You see, I need my pasture and them logs is in my way and Im to old to keep cutting on them 4 foot logs with this 18 inch saw.  Your helping me out and I'm helping you out.  Sounds fair to me."

Well sir I look forward to being of service! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I am going to meet with him when I get back in town in 8 days and start making sawdust.

Hung up the phone and my wife looked at me and said, Guess I'm done talking about chickens huh?

I think when we go over there next week we will have to buy some chickens ;D

WV_hillbilly

Sounds like everyone is going to get what they want in that deal Kirk .  :)  You probably sent that ARKYMATIC 2000  cant hook on it's way Didn't ya . Might have been a good test for it .  It is great that you are going to make a new friend out of the deal too .
Hillbilly

tnlogger

sounds like a real good trade kirk now take plenty of pics of dem 16" walnuts he thought you wouldn't want tp mees with .
                                                           gene
gene

Kirk_Allen

Still waiting on the Arkymatic hook.  Im sure when it gets here it will be worth the wait.

Furby

Hey Kirk,
Ya think maybe next time I'm out your way, I could swing by and shake your hand?????

Sure could use just a touch of your luck! ;) ;)

WV_hillbilly

So on the other side of the thread  .  What kind of chickens are you  going to get ?
Hillbilly

Jeff

Whatever they are, I hope they lay golden eggs.  Good for you Kirk.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Good for you Kirk..........Sure seems like we say dat alot to you lately.  ;) 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

MULE_MAN

All I can say Kirk . Is you and big guy up above must really be tight to have all the
Good Luck you have.    Congratulations on your Walnut tree find. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Kirk_Allen

I can hardly believe my good fortune lately as well.  We have been blessed beyond my comprehension.  Thank the Lord!

I will have to check with the wife to get the names of what she's getting.  We went to our local farm supply and they will have just about every bread of chicken you can imagine coming in March.  $.69 each with 15 minimum.  She is converting the Corn Crib into a chicken hotel ;D  Looks like we might have 100+ chickens before April ;D,

Almost forgot, she ordered her geese today as well.  No clue of the names of them but I will find out.  I got a feeling this farm life is suiting her just fine 8) 

I got a feeling I am going to get in some target practice on the coyote population with all this poultry coming. 

Furby

Jeff, I'm thinking they will! ;) ;)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

You ole son of a gun! :)  And I'm saying that in the nicest way and with the best of intentions.  I'm proud things are workin out so good for you and the luck you're having.  Gotta tell you thought, I've gotta say it just one more time.

You ole son of a gun! :)

It wouldn't suprise me not one bit if them chickens DID lay golden eggs! :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Cedarman

Kirk, I believe you make your own luck.  You knew it could be a one sided trade and you couldn't in good conscience take unfair advantage.  By being straight up about it, you get the good deal.  Congratulations!!!  I wonder if that fellow will be telling anyone else about you? 8) 8) 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kirk_Allen

I think just being honest with folks is the key.  So many folks are use to being manipulated or swindled on deals so I do my best to be a step above that.  I think the fact that my milling business is a side business and not my bread and butter helps a lot to. 

I had a neighbor come down last week and pick up a trailer load of slab wood for his fire place.  Only met the man one time but he is a neighbor.  I dont need it so I told him it yours, take all you want.  A week later I was cutting a Gum Log for him.  He only had one log.  Took longer to set up and tear down than it did cut the log.  I didn't charge him.  I know there is danger in setting a precidence for free cutting but I will risk that.  He is a neighbor.

After being in this small town for several months now I have learned more and more about my Grandfather and all the the things he did in and for people in this township.  He was the person people turned to when they needed help.  I like to think that one day I might be able to fill just one of his shoes. 

For those of you that know all the problems of the world are solved at the barber shop, the local barber that is now cutting my hair, cut my grandfathers hair every two weeks for 30 years.  I never dreamed I would learn so much from my barber about my own family history.

Do for others as you would have them do for you! (OK, not excact scriptural text but you know what I mean)

tnlogger

I know what you mean kirk i've tried to do that all my life. I guess thats what they mean by being brought up in the old ways respect fellow man and you in return will be respected . And as to the barbershop when i was young and always in a hurry i would sit there think to myself now why do these old gezzers just come here and talk and take up the chairs. Now that i'm one of them old gezzers i realize how wrong i was. to think of all the knolage i lost in them younger years just by being in a hurry.
          gene
gene

Patty

Kirk, it sounds like the good life on the farm is suiting you and your wife just fine.  8)
You sound like us when we first bought our place. We had ducks, geese, chickens, a few pigs; and it was wonderful. We are still raising the animals, I have about 10 laying hens and  5 laying ducks. We keep the neighbors in eggs, I really enjoy sharing the bounty. Whenever our boys come home we load them up with home grown vegetables and meat. That is the best part of growing your own; is in the sharing. Today I am taking fresh eggs, potatoes, squash, and some home made chicken noodle soup for my friend and her husband. He has been sick with cancer, I figure this is the least we can do for them.

It is a karma thing, I guess. As you have learned, if you do good things for folks, your rewards will be ten fold.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

MULE_MAN

Patty I really agree with that statement, Beside I like helping people out 
It makes you feel good !!! :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

J_T

Kirk I beleave you would be the same if that were your only income  8)I've read most your post's and all them say you like sleeping good of a night not moneyTnlogger there still lot us proud old school around just got to find them 8)
Jim Holloway

Buzz-sawyer

Can you imagine how much FUN we would All have as neighbors ...helping out and giving to each other? I believe that is sure the way our Creator intended all man to be :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Curlywoods

Quote from: Kirk Allen on February 11, 2005, 11:08:45 PM
Almost forgot, she ordered her geese today as well.  No clue of the names of them but I will find out.  I got a feeling this farm life is suiting her just fine 8) 

Madam Curly wanted to know if two of those geese might wind up with the names of "Tasty" and "Delicious" :o
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

farmerdoug

The question is did you buy those chickens for your wife.  If it was not for her you may nevr have had a shot at those trees.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Kirk_Allen

Well we went to look at Chickens today..................and some walnut ;D 

This guy had 600 chickens ranging from day old to 2 weeks. My wife had a ball learning the inside scoop on chickens.  Heck, I can even tell how to determine if those day old chicks are hens or roosters now.  Learned alot.  Spent more time on chickens than wood, to my surprise!

Well we did get a chance to evaluate the Walnut pile, but first things first.

He has two 30" Cotton woods he wants cut for lumber and for doing that he INSISTED I can have what ever I want out of the pile, plus a couple of trees he wants brought down.

The first one he wants down is a Black Cherry.  At 4' this puppy is 56" diameter and a foot above that it breaks off into 4 distinct trees.  Its as if 4 trees grew together at the base but to look at the stump only one section is identifiable from the crotch appearance.  The other 3 sections simply look like they came ouf of the giant trunk.  The largest of the 4 sections measurs 24" diameter.  The two sections on the north side of the trunk were 20" and the one that appears to be a seperate tree is 16".  All 4 sections above the stump are at least 20' long.  Looks like it will provide some great cherry!  8)  He wants it cut down and if I cut it down I can have all of it.  No buildings, fences etc to worry about so down it will come once these ribs heal. 

The second tree he wants cut down is a 30" walnut.  The first branch is 12 feet up and then its another 10+ feet up before another branch.  Its mine if I want it.   ;D What do you think?  Ok, I will take it!

The third tree is a smaller walnut that only measures 26".  Same deal with that one 8)

Then we got to the Walnut Pile!  There must be 50 trees in that pile.  It looks like a buldozer simply uprooted the trees and pushed them to the back of the property.  The down side is they have been there for quite a few years from the looks of it.  Most are in the 18-20" range but there were a few whoppers in the center of the pile.  Looks like LOTS of work to get those out but he said I could have what ever I wanted out of it. 

Once I heal I plan on going back and spend a day cutting trees and preping logs.  Then I will take the mill there and cut his cotton wood boards.  Then I will take my trailer over and haul logs.  Looks like about 3-4 trips of log hauling but the Cherry alone makes it worth while to me, as we plan on remodeling our whole kitchen in Cherry. 

Anyone interested in a 50/50 take on the piled up logs is welcome to join me.  Just have to help me cut and drag that stuff out.  Looks like too much work for me alone. 

I am going to have to get a ripping chain for my Husky and rip that Cherry Stump because I KNOW its going to have some AWSOME grain patterns.  Should make about 750 bf of 5 foot shorts.  I bet every board will be curly crotch wood! 8) 8) 8)

Cedarman

There might be some gun stock makers drooling over those root wads.  If they are well weathered they make some great rock garden additions. I sold two weathered black locust stumps for $80 a piece to a nursury who doubled their money.  Hope it turns out great for you.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jflytle

Kirk,

The good Lord definitely smiles  ;D on the kind and generous souls. As said previously, if we all had neighbors like you, we wouldn't have half the problems in this world that we do.

I wish I was closer to give you a hand with that pile of work. I could definitely put some of that Walnut to good use. I guess I would need to tune up the chainsaws too. ;)

BTW, did your wife get any chickens yet? What kind? Nothing like a fresh brown egg omlet in the morning. Not those store bought eggs. It is a very different taste. Once you tried it you will not go back.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Kirk_Allen

Thanks John, I appreciate the kind words.

The first load of chickens comes into Rural King Farm supply next week.  They have three shippments of close to 6000 birds.  Not sure what species she is set on but will find out.  Now that we can determine the sex of the chicks we will end up with mostly hens.  Only need a couple of roosters.  Got enough birds around here waking my up early so dont care to have to many roosters if you know what I mean. 

Im looking forward to it.  Kind of brings back memories as a kid.  The barn I have all my wood stored in is an old Chicken Barn from when my Great Grandparents and Grandparents raised chickens.  They had over 1000 at any given time.  My dad says I'm nuts.  He had to take care of those chickens as a kid.  Lots of chores for a farm kid back then.  As an only child he was stuck with all the critters feeding.  Chickens, Sheep, Hogs, cattle.  Now he wants NO PART of any animal other than his Horses, dogs and cats.  His Dad would never let him have a horse as a kid so when he got older and could afford it, he got a horse, and another farm, and more horses etc.  He was up to 17 horses for a while but has scaled back over the last couple years.  I think he now boards 1 horse and has 4 of his own.  After his prize Arabian went nuts and almost killed him a few years ago he realized it was time to back away from Stud Arabians, which is what he mostly has.  Now they are all fixed and much easier to work with. 

jflytle

Kirk,

I know those memories. My grandfather was a dairy farmer North of Milwaukee when I was growing up. I used to spend summers with him. His hobby, believe it or not, was raising and showing chickens and pigeons. I couldn't tell you the name of any the breeds he had anymore, but some were truly pretty, for a chicken. I didn't like the pigeons much. I used to help with the milkings and it was my responsibility to feed the 'flock' every day, and I mean close to 100 birds. I also had strict orders to pull any eggs, as he didn't want any new additions. I swear they must multiply faster than rabbits, based on the number of eggs I pulled out.

I understand your fathers desire to back off the number of horses, although we haven't quit fully yet either. We at the auctions each spring looking for a 'project' horse for the year. Last years was a palimino we rescued from one of the local horse-traders that had managed to break her jaw trying to break her. We know of this guys reputation, so know for certain he broke the jaw. We had her longer than planned, but it took 4 months to heal the jaw and get her trusting people openly again, then we had to start all over (slowly) with the training. The guy we just sold her to is very pleased and she seems happy with him too.

Hope you heal up soon. I don't envy you having to travel so much with those broken ribs.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

Thank You Sponsors!