iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging hammer/brand

Started by Harleyca, August 26, 2014, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harleyca

I have an old branding hammer (?). The brand is NF with a ( symbol under the NF. Would like to know what company and perhaps return it to them. Thank you. Don
Harleyca@aol.com

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Your bio/profile would be more complete if you would put in your location, and provide some history of the logging hammer. Maybe a Harley biker from California could be an interp, but location in your profile would be more informative.  ;D
thanks

A picture would also be very helpful.

Several members have knowledge about branding hammers, IIRC.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

Greetings,

I'm not super schooled on the branding hammer thing, they are mostly used on DNR/FS sales here and I don't  work them.  However what I do know is that each sale gets a new hammer, every contractor has their own brand for each sale.

That being said the laws regarding these is more then a little murky, for instance I heard in Oregone that every log sale needs a hammer, private or gubamint.  So I imagine it changes state to state.

However, Warshington DNR has a list of branding hammers, their designs, who owns em etc.  Stands to reason other states would have a list as well.

My favorite being a little company called YMI logging and their stamp looking something like $$... not even sure if they are still in business...
well that didn't work

mad murdock

Yes Nman, the log brand is a very important aspect of being able to sell logs in oregon. No mill can take logs that are unbranded. Most small woodlands guys sell their logs with the haulers brand on them, as they do not have their own, and yes the state has a registry of valid brands. This helps reduce fraud and timber theft, which is a very real thing. I am certain california has similar laws.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!