iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Impending mill purchase

Started by Jdock, May 31, 2020, 07:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdock

I've been looking to buy a small band mill for several years now, and I've just about got enough stuff sold to be able to do so. My decision will be between the Woodland Mills hm122 and the Frontier os23, which appear to be priced almost identically and directly competing with each other. Engine size isn't particularly relevant to me, I have a Honda GX 390 gathering dust now, and I don't have the equipment to handle anything over a 24'' log so the small mills are fine. From what I can tell the major difference between the two mills is the track width, with the Frontier being about 5" wider. Also the maximum depth of cut doesn't appear to be listed on the Frontier website, and that is a factor which could have significant influence on who gets my money. Woodland Mills has answered my questions promptly without pressuring me to buy, can't get ahold of frontier or Norwood at all, which does concern me. My only experience is with a large circle Mill, so any insight on either of these small mills or companies is greatly appreciated. The knowledge I have seen here is nothing short of incredible and I feel privileged to be able to access such an awesome resource. Thanks in advance.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jdock!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nebraska

If you have a 390 Honda engine waiting to be used, you might look at an EZ Boardwalk Jr sans motor. As that is the power plant that is standard on that model, it  would   bring the price down to the level of those other two mills. It has more capacity and is built much much  heavier. I looked very hard at HF, woodland, and the other small mills overseas built mills, i'm pretty sure lurking on here was where i stumbled upon EZ... USA made .... I have one and have been very happy with what I purchased, welcome good luck with your journey into the abyss... 

Jdock

Does EZ Boardwalk sell their mill without the motor? I'd certainly be interested if that's an option. I just have to keep the price in the sub 3,000 range.

homesteading

Look at the vallee little blue se hd, Would be the same price for the frontier and woodland if you add extension and trailer package without having to assemble and a much better machine, make sure to click on usd prices

https://valleeforestryequipment.com/product/little-blue-se-hd/

Nebraska

@Jdock, I  don't know if EZ sells the machine without the motor but it wouldn't hurt to ask, I bet they will.  They are super easy to deal with, although it's not point, click, and order website driven process the  machines are built one at a time in a little town in Missouri.. 

Jeff

Id stick with a forestry forum sponsor who makes it possible for you to post here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jdock

Without finding a deal on a used saw either the Frontier or the Woodland are the top of the budget for me. I live in NW NC, right in the corner of TN and VA, and apparently sawmills appreciate in value around here with used prices usually exceeding new. I'm going to try to get in touch with Frontier today, and if I still can't get ahold of them the Woodland will get purchased based on the strength to their customer service. Despite the fact that I'll probably void any warranty within weeks of having a saw being able to get replacement parts will still be important to me. They have already given me a quote for the saw, one track extension, a 5 pack of blades shipped for just over 3k. That's less than I could build it for and seems like incredible value no matter where it's made.

xmarine

I was in the same mindset as you are in back in November! I ended up getting a woodland mills 126 with the 14 hp motor.It was a good choice.I am as surprised as anyone and wouldn't have believed it but the mill has already paid for its self,and I live in a small town {5000 }people.The customer service from woodland mills is great.No I,m not getting paided to say this LOL.Good luck

farmfromkansas

Have you checked out the low priced mp32 models from Cooks?  You dont have to buy the top of the line, they sell basic units.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Durf700

the informative videos from woodland mills were great to watch when I was looking a few months ago for my 1st mill.  I ended up going with a good deal on a used woodmizer LT 15 with powerfeed and extra track.  If I hadn't come across my used deal I would of went with the woodland mills mill.  really good comparison videos to look at and great overview of they're product.  Frontier was my initial thought until I saw all the videos done by Woodland mills.

good luck and enjoy!

Jdock

I wound up placing an order for the Frontier os23 today, based mostly on the fact that the Woodland Mills hm122 is backordered indefinitely but the Frontier is in stock now. Just under 2900$ with a track extension and an extra 5 pack of blades I don't think I could scrap together a comparable machine for the money. Already getting orders for lumber, any recommendations for cutting black locust?

farmfromkansas

Cut it down the same day you mill it.  Stuff is hard when dry.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but cuts pretty easy when green and has some beautiful grain
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jdock

I've been cutting locust for firewood most of my life, and it's like a rock only harder once it's dry. As soon as I mentioned getting a mill a friend of mine offered to hire me to cut some locust for bridge decking. I'll make sure it's freshly cut if I do it.

btulloh

You might want to order a box of 4° kasko blades, (or your favorite brand).  Doubtful those 5 you ordered with the mill will get you very far on black locust. Lower powered mills (like mine) don't get really good blade life, especially in really hard stuff. Lucky to get 100bd ft in that locust and you'll be sawing a lot of bark cause they're probably not big logs. Smaller logs=more bark/bd ft.

Good luck with the new mill and the assembly process. Enjoy your new sawdust addiction. 
HM126

Jeff

Quote from: Jdock on June 05, 2020, 04:37:20 PMany recommendations for cutting black locust?
Quote from: Jdock on June 05, 2020, 04:37:20 PMany recommendations for cutting black locust?

Cut something else.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jdock

My mill showed up yesterday afternoon, and despite the fact that it was 50 degrees and raining I took the afternoon off work and got most of it together. Frontier must have been paying attention to the criticism to their instructions because the manual for the saw is one of the best I've ever seen. With the help of a friend and a skid steer we had it 90% together in about 4 hours. It's a well designed kit, very heavy steel and plenty of adjustability to account for Chinese tolerances. 

Thank You Sponsors!