iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Cabin Build

Started by TimFromNB, April 30, 2018, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimFromNB

Progress on the floor:

Vautour

Hi Tim... glade to see you back at it... keep the pictures coming, got the popcorn ready popcorn_smiley
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

TimFromNB

Haven't given many updates lately. We raised the walls last weekend and the roof should be ready in 6 weeks or so.

Overall things went well, even though some of the timbers sat for a good year and a half after the joinery was cut.

sbishop

awesome job so far, just catching up! I see you have lots a help..bonus!

forgot to mention my camp is located on the Bartibog river...family homestead...

Sbishop

Hilltop366

Looks great, following along.

CJ

Looks great Tim! Soon you will be installing the rafters and then work on enclosing it all in. Lots of work, I know! I've been at it myself since last February ('19), and this year I hope to have all the windows and door installed. Lots of work when you're by yourself. The light at the end of the tunnel is small, but will only get bigger as we forge ahead.
Below are photos that I've been taking along the way. Taking a course on how to build a timber frame, and not having the knowledge to finish it off are two different animals altogether! They don't teach you how to complete the frame once it's built. I have had to go on a wing and a prayer ideology on how to create an exterior wall while still being able to see all the main frame timbers on the interior. So far, so good. But it is time consuming. It's a 14'X18' structure and I really had of wished I went 16'X20 like we did on our course, but I thought that it would have been too big for just a sleep cabin. I was wrong!
At any rate, this structure is well insulated and the Silverboard around it is tighter that a frog's butt. There should be absolutely no air infiltration whatsoever. With the R-14 batt insulation and the R-7.5 Silverboard, I am around R-22 with an R-34 ceiling. Should keep me warm on a cold Northern Ontario winters night.
I will be following your build in the months ahead. Cheers!
 (Modified)
I got the windows and a door installed this year ('20). A lot of setbacks due to the pandemic, but I still managed to get quite a bit done. 
I got the door from a house demolition that I just so happened to be involved in (driving dump truck) and I managed to salvage it from the wrecking ball. It's a steel door with a triple glazed window insert. The door is heavy. I got a local door and window place to build me a door frame, as the one the door was on was too big for my application. The windows I ordered are triple glazed, as well. I know that it is overkill for a bunkie, but since I went through all the hassle of insulating this cabin to the nines and making it almost impervious to air infiltration, then why not spend the extra 15%? It only makes sense. 
Next season, I am hoping to have it pretty much finished. I'm just trying to decide on what kind of exterior to go with. I would like something that is aesthetically pleasing, different and maintenance free. I'm getting too *DanG old to be staining every couple of years. I was looking into a cement board of some kind. I'm sure I will find the right product! Then there is just the interior to do. Vinyl click flooring, window trim and small stuff. 

<

<

<

TimFromNB

Quote from: CJ on July 05, 2020, 08:08:37 PM
Looks great Tim! Soon you will be installing the rafters and then work on enclosing it all in. Lots of work, I know! I've been at it myself since last February ('19), and this year I hope to have all the windows and door installed. Lots of work when you're by yourself. The light at the end of the tunnel is small, but will only get bigger as we forge ahead.
Below are photos that I've been taking along the way. Taking a course on how to build a timber frame, and not having the knowledge to finish it off are two different animals altogether! They don't teach you how to complete the frame once it's built. I have had to go on a wing and a prayer ideology on how to create an exterior wall while still being able to see all the main frame timbers on the interior. So far, so good. But it is time consuming. It's a 14'X18' structure and I really had of wished I went 16'X20 like we did on our course, but I thought that it would have been too big for just a sleep cabin. I was wrong!
At any rate, this structure is well insulated and the Silverboard around it is tighter that a frog's butt. There should be absolutely no air infiltration whatsoever. With the R-14 batt insulation and the R-7.5 Silverboard, I am around R-22 with an R-34 ceiling. Should keep me warm on a cold Northern Ontario winters night.
I will be following your build in the months ahead. Cheers!
(Modified)
I got the windows and a door installed this year ('20). A lot of setbacks due to the pandemic, but I still managed to get quite a bit done.
I got the door from a house demolition that I just so happened to be involved in (driving dump truck) and I managed to salvage it from the wrecking ball. It's a steel door with a triple glazed window insert. The door is heavy. I got a local door and window place to build me a door frame, as the one the door was on was too big for my application. The windows I ordered are triple glazed, as well. I know that it is overkill for a bunkie, but since I went through all the hassle of insulating this cabin to the nines and making it almost impervious to air infiltration, then why not spend the extra 15%? It only makes sense.
Next season, I am hoping to have it pretty much finished. I'm just trying to decide on what kind of exterior to go with. I would like something that is aesthetically pleasing, different and maintenance free. I'm getting too *DanG old to be staining every couple of years. I was looking into a cement board of some kind. I'm sure I will find the right product! Then there is just the interior to do. Vinyl click flooring, window trim and small stuff.

<

<

<

Very nice CJ!

TimFromNB

I've neglected the FF in the previous year. Thought I would post an update. We used a Gin Pole to raise the ridge beam in mid-march. Roof is planked. Just waiting on things to dry up to continue framing things in.

Vautour

Welcome back Tim.... was waiting on news from you on your progress.... MAN that is a nice cabin and workmanship...nice work... keep them pics coming.
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

CJ

Can't wait to see what this is going to look like at completion time! What a great design and different from the standard TF designs. Is it your own? What are the sizes of your timbers? 10"X10"? It's a lot of work, especially when you are going at it yourself like I have.
This is my first build of any kind, let alone a timber frame. Keep the pictures coming when you get an opportunity. I have had some setbacks because of hip replacement and now an aging mother who is hospital and may not come out, at least alive. So that has hindered my progress. I am hoping to get the exterior sided by the end of this season, so that would be a victory.
Keep forging on sir! You're doing great. Cheers from Sudbury.

Photos below are somewhat distorted from the camera setting, but you get the gist of it. I just have to figure out a ladder/stair system that is code and not too intrusive in taking up space. All ideas are welcome.

TimFromNB

Thanks Vautour and CJ!

The design is a mix of the Sobon and Shelter Institute style, with the added dormer. The dormer addition came late, so I had to come up with non TF standard ways to construct it. Posts are 8x8, tie beams 8x10 and ridge 8x12. Nice progress on you project!

Hope things are OK with your mother, CJ.

Started framing in front and back porch. Hope to cover the roof proper by winter.

CJ

This place is going to look so cool regardless of the dormers not being TF construction. Incorporate conventional with non-conventional. Siding ideas??

TimFromNB

Not sure for siding yet. Am at the insulation stage and not sure how much is required. Using exterior rigid eps foam.

Weather would be like northern Maine. Thinking R10-15 for walls and R20-30 for roof...not cheap.

Local recommendation for homes is R22 walls and R30 cathedral ceiling, R50 roof. With a wood stove in a small cabin, can't see it getting too cold 

Any thoughts FF people?

CJ

My walls are of 2X4 construction, so I used Ruxol R14 batt insulation and then installed 1 1/2" Silverboard over top of that which provides an additional R-11 factor, so that is more than enough for the walls. Not sure what your walls are 2X6 or 2X4, but you could go with the same Ruxol that I used and Silverboard. Keep in mind that you will have a vapour barrier too, so there will be zero air infiltration if you seal it up good and tight with Tuck Tape, especially around the windows. Speaking of windows, I went with triple pane because; 1) provide better R value that two, 2) they dampen out the noise, so it's super quiet, 3) the cost differential was only 15% more, so why not pay the extra? Right?
My roof is three layers of dense foam board. Two layers of 2" (R-12 each) and a third layer of 1 1/2" (9) for a total of R-33. 
I guarantee that I will be able to heat that place with a candle when it's all completed. 
I sided my place with Canexel UltraPlank. Pricey, but a good product compared to vinyl siding and basic wood that will have to be treated and maintained every few years. 

Thank You Sponsors!