iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal detector trouble

Started by Sawyerfortyish, April 21, 2002, 05:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Anybody out there have a Rens? I`m having trouble keeping it calibrated I get it set start down the log the needle starts to creep up and then it goes off . Someone told me to replace the battery. I`ve always kept it plugged in to the smart charger that it came with. Just looked into a new battery there around 400.00. Has anyone else had this had this problem?

Frank_Pender

What model do you have, Sawyer?  I have a Rens, and never a problem.  ;) Have you called the factory in Creswell, Oregon?  :-[ I would be on the phone first thing Monday!, if I were you.  Let us know what transpires thereafter, please.
Frank Pender

Sawyerfortyish

Frank I have a model p3000 I did call the factory and they told me I should replace the battery every year. The battery costs about 400.00. They also said there is an upgrade kit to make it stop doing what it`s doing.I just was curious if anyone else had trouble.

woodman

Is that a missprint 400.00 for a battery every year?
Jim Cripanuk

Sawyerfortyish

NOOOO misprint400.00 + Seems to me they could use a lot cheaper battery than that even if it had to be replaced more often

Bud Man

I have given thought to there being a need for a metal detector in my future but if these posts are reading correct I'm sure It won't be a Rens !  I know Frank's teeth and blades on his MD saw are expensive but something sounds out of balance here. This Rens detector must be designed for NASA's usage or something more expensive than a $20 bandsaw blade ! Sounds like you could buy a cheaper Radio Shack model and throw iIt away every year !  Something's got to be amiss here ?  Frank, what's your story as far as battery usage and life expectancy been to date ?
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

I have had mine for two years and had no problems. ;)
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Sawyer,  I just went down and tried mine out on a log I use just for that purpose and found no problem what-so-ever.  If that is the case about the new battery every year, I will visit Creswell with an attitude and a P3000 detector in its case.  >:( There was never any such mention of having to replace a battery every year for $400 when I bought mine unit. :(
Frank Pender

woodman

Iam glad i started somthing will be wating for Franks answer tomorow when he comes home from the dealer.
Jim Cripanuk

Sawyerfortyish

Frank
 they didn`t tell me that either until I started having trouble.Iv`e had mine about 4 yrs and swear by it unless it`s not working right then I swear at it but it has saved me a lot of time and money

Jeff

I have a metal detector that I bought in the 70's made by radio shack. It still works for finding my shoot throughs when practicing for archery season. Battery? 9 volt twice a year. 5 bucks tops.

Does it take a 400 dollar detector to find tramp metal in a log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Basically, I think, the desired attribute is sensitivity.  

I use a Garrett in the $600 range and it will detect the head of a 16d nail at 8*.  If the nail is bent or at an angle, the detection is greater.  A lot of the money spent on good detectors is for discrimination and other computorized do-dads.  If you are looking for something in a log, then money spent for descrimination is wasted.  You want every hit that is detected to be announced.

Having a good detectory is a two-fold joy.  Not only do I use mine to find tramp metal in logs, but I spend spare time on the job, dinner, quitting time etc. to detect for artifacts around old home sites.  Many times I am set up where a couple of hundred years of history is laying around just under the surface.

When Charlie was down here pulling 2"x 12" x 20', we were in a swamp at the head of McGirts creek and in the middle of USA and CSA campgrounds.  Also the area had been the site of several 'liqour' stills.  We did some detecting but were to busy to get into it much.

Jeff, that area around the Lodge on the Satilla river was the homesite of one of the owners of Bailey Mill.  That area where the 12" x 12" posts were holding up the pavillion was the house site. That dates from the 1700's.

I also use it on weekends when I am bored to coin shoot playgrounds and the beach.  When I lose a sawmill part in the sawdust it really comes in handy.

Usually a detector from a larger company like White or Garrett that would be functional  for tramp metal in logs would range around $150 to $300.

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff
 400.00 for the battery I think I paid around 1600.00 for the detector.

Thank You Sponsors!