iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Lumber?

Started by Rick-Wi, April 21, 2002, 09:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick-Wi

OK, I have another question, (I Seem full of them lately).

We have several Garage type structure, a couple of Trailer bodies, two pole barns, and a 20x30 out side concrete slab, available to store fresh cut wood. Within the next 3 Mo. we will be looking to add a DH kiln, probably a Nyle's 200.

But none of the Buildings have good ventilation. Also in storing, it would almost always be first in last out situation.

I am thinking that putting the bunks of rough cut on the slab, with a Tin Roof over the bunks. It would be easy to get at, and cheep to build. 4x4's with Tin on them, strapped to the bunks. We have to move this out of the saw shed or stop cutting, no more room.

What is your opinion?

Rick-Wi

Frank_Pender

A real quick thought is your last statment of use.  I have a bit of imagining to do, but I think I understand your idea of bunks with a tin roof.   :P
Frank Pender

woodman

Rick are you putting fresh cut lumber in a non ventilated building. If you are get it out in the open and the onley bunk i know is a bed so tell me a little more about it's looks or shape. Be looking for photo or answer.
Jim Cripanuk

Rick-Wi

Right now it is in the saw shed, maybe 800 BF, stickered and straped. With the windows open, Temperatures here are 40 deg. It is a temparary thing.

I think it would be better outside on the Concrete slab with a cover over it, then in one of the other sheds, expecialy when things start to get warm.

What I want to do is take 4x4's the width of two sheets of tin 6',  and put them on top of the pile, as a cover. The bottom, would have 4x4's under the pile ot keep the load off the ground anyway, and put in some eye bolts anchoring the cover down so the wind wouldn't take it off. They could stay there tinn we get the Kiln in, also reducing the mosture along the way.

Rick-Wi

Frank_Pender

I get the picture, now.  It sounds ok, but the side to the sun could develop some problems, unless the overhang of the lid is enough to help in shading.  I would also sugges that you place asmall piece of plastice, the size of your load, under it to cut down on moisture moveing through the concrete to the lumber.  Even if you place it in one of the buildings or out on the ground the vapor barrier is a good idea.  
Frank Pender

woodman

Ok i got the idea of the tin roof, but i like 12 inches or more under for air to pass thruugh and 2 to 5 feet on the sides.
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!