iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawyer, new Lumbermate

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 01, 2002, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I have been peaking out from behind the curtans for about a month, decided to step out and say Hello!

I was a chainsaw sawyer but I decided to upgrade to a bandmill. I purchased a Lumbermate 2000 with the Honda 20hp,  trailer package, and log turner and they GAVE me a free hat!
I was not afraid of the 37 little boxes it came in as I conciter myself quite handy with a wrench. I own a 23 year old Harley and 8 antique tractors!

The mill came in on a Thursday evening and I got started. Wached the vidieo and slept with the manual. Friday morning found me up earley proudly wearing my new Norwoood hat and laying out bunks and rails. Friday afternoon after 3 trys at assembling the rails I called tech support, every time I tighten up the bolts the rails bow up!!! Lo I was informed my rails had a manufacturing flaw and I could send them back or grind it out. Grind it out it is, I am on vacation and want to be sawing by sunday. (youre probably startin to grin)

Saturday Morning, Norwood hat hanging on a nail, this time when I try and tighten the rail bolts it pulls to the side I'm tightning, I go through the procedure multiple times even backwards but it still wants to walk to one side. Tech support is not available on the weekends. Tried to put the tracks down then tighten the rails, better but no. Running a string down it I can see a deviation of 1/2 inch.
 Sunday morning, Norwood hat laying out in the yard. My brother stops by, He is a Building Maintenance Engineer, I am a Computer Systems Engineer. He sais I'm over stressed about the rails moving to the side, they are flat, just make the tracks fit. Well that's better than I could get from tech support so with some fileing  the tracks are on and the string runs strait down them. I go pick up my Hat.

A few more evenings in the shop and another weekend and I am ready. My 80 year old father waching from his window, I set the mill up so he can wach. Dad, among many other things used to work at a mill. Brother Chris, Uncle Elwood and some frends are there and we load a 22" Red Oak log, and man everything goes fine! Saw cuts like a dream (flash back to my chainsaw milling) I put a little too much soap in the water and it is foaming some but we are milling!!!

As my handle indicates this is a hobby to me, I do not intend to make a living off of this mill, I do intend to make lumber for the interior of my house, build barns with, trailer beds and such.

Next project a 25x30 pad for a mill shed and solar kiln.

It's great to be here!
Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Great to have you on board Jon.

Your only 199 posts from getting a free hat here, One problem, I think they must be cursed. Seems like when somebody gets one they seem to disappear. :o

Maybe the rule should be, they send ME a hat at 200 posts and then I let them stay.  :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Welcome Jon,
I think you're our first Lumber Mate.
Good story, hope to see some pictures of your operation.

We can leave?
I didn`t know we could leave!   :D

chet

Howdy Jon,
I think you will like your Norwood, so far I am very pleased with mine. I AM jealous though, I didn't get the free hat, even after I asked if they would through one in.  I guess they must be too expensive to give away to all new mill owners. Oh well I still have the hats Jeff sent,  and I didn't even need to buy a new mill to get them THANKS JEFF.    Chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chet didnt get free hats he earned em. Had to find an egg buried in a field of bull. :D

Chet aint got the cursed hat yet, that takes 200 posts. I think Corley5 got one and survived but Bud_man, well, he's apparently a goner.

Bud_man where the heck are ya? Sitting outside the gate at woodmizer?

I just looked up the last post of the Bud man and I am convinced that Kevin had something to do with his disappearance

QuoteWell  Kevin, looks like wash day amounts to about one load of socks, looks like you keep things pretty simple and them door to door sales people get to the point pretty quick, eh ?

Don't make fun of Canadians in toe socks.

Kevin

I'm ordering a lumbermate this week. I'm not sure if I should order their blades or go with timberwolf. Any suggestions?

Chet, you got the mill?

chet

YUP I GOT IT, AND MAKING LOTS OF SAWDUST
If I can figure out this picture posting thing I'll post some pics. Us yoopers ain't real brite some times.   Chet
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Welcome, weekend_Sawyer.  From the sounds of your intro essay you will fit right in with the rest of the "sawdust"aroound here. ;)  You had me laught before I washalf way through your intro. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

woodmills1

welcome!!!!!
I have hat!!!!
am still here!!!!
still old!!!
sthil 066 :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Phil

Free hat after 200 posts?  Cool!  Hope I can resist the urge to make posts like "Good point," "I agree" or "Hmmm."

Phil

Jeff

QuoteFree hat after 200 posts?  Cool!  Hope I can resist the urge to make posts like "Good point," "I agree" or "Hmmm."

Phil

Webmaster has a HUGE delete button that is attached directly to your post count. ;)

DanG

Jeff, I think I know how the hats got cursed.  You mailed out a whole batch of overdue hats, when the new ones came in, right?  The new hat's arrival coincided, almost exactly, with the advent of DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!! ::) :D :D :D  I, for one, haven't been online at home for over a week. Can't be wasting that precious daylight on the 'puter when I can be working outside till 9pm.   Leaving the office now, see Y'all tomorrow. ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Chet,
You need to introduce Carl Nieminen at Cooks Run Cedar to the Forum.
~Ron

chet

Ron,
Carl passed away about three years ago. His son John is still running the business. By coincidence my youngest son Jeff, a junior at UW Stout, will be building houses with John again this summer.  Chet

Corley5

I'm still here.  Nice hats.  Hey Week_Sawyer what brand of antique tractors have you got?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Weekend_Sawyer

Re: Antique tractors,
I am a Farmall fan, have 3 cubs, 2 mowers 1 for parts, 2 H's 1 for plowing 1 for parts, and a M current restorration project. It's mostly in parts. Ya put the little parts on the big parts and ya get a tractor! Also in the barn is a JD 40 resting comfortable on flat tires and a JD 1010 backhoe I use for loading loggs. Have to keep em in separate stalls, the red ones make fun of the green ones. I'm always on the lookout for a tractor in need of a good home.

Jon

Corley5

8) 8) 8)  Dad and I are into Farmalls but there are a couple different shades of green and orange hanging around.  Several Hs and Ms, 3 cubs, W4 and W6, 300 and 200 row crops, a BN etc etc. 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Chet,

Sorry to here about Carl Nieminen. Introduce John and your son to the Forum. They build some nice looking cedar homes.

Is your mill now at your home site? Up on the hill?
~Ron

Gordon

How do ya get one of these hats you guys are talking about?

Jeff you don't want to do this to me do ya.

Gordon

Bud Man

Welcome aboard Weekender, and all this talk about Hats and Canucks. Ain't too concerned about Canadian's , Heck I hear there gonna close the border and even if they don't, ifn they come south they'll get the sunburn of there life and probably have a heat stroke to boot !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

kcbarnes

I have had my  lumbermate a little over a year and love it. Like you it is only a weekend thing.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have had my lumbemate about a month, mabe 2. While I was assembling it I added an hour meter (northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company) I am very sorry to say it has only 0.9 hrs on it. Spring time here in Maryland, planting the garden, mowing the lawn and of course that annoying daytime job thing. With any luck the long weekend ahead will give me some sawing time.

Jon

larry

I havent bought yet still wating to be convinced which one. Im right where you are now. 20hp 20' cut (some say 16 is best but e.tx has some log straight pine.) trailer pac. cant decide on log roller ,might wait. got any sugestions.

Weekend_Sawyer

Larry,

If you are looking specificly at the lumbermate then I would suggest the 20HP there is no substitute for Horse Power! I would also suggest the log roller package because it also lets you raise or lower either end of the log for taper cuts, cutting along the bark or cutting along the heart, it makes working the machine easier. Trailer package was a must for me. Extensions were not, I hope to make my own.

Jon in Maryland.

Thank You Sponsors!