iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small twig growth on oaks

Started by kelLOGg, March 12, 2019, 09:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have several small oaks that have twigs growing low on the trunk. I have always thought that this means the tree is dying but before I cut them down (mostly for firewood but some sawlogs too) I want to ask those who know if the tree is soon to die. If you look closely the twigs will show up. I would hate to cut them if they are viable. Thanks.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Woodpecker52

Usually tree has started getting more sunlight on trunk. And for the Doomers :'(I do not think it has anything to do with global warming!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

It's called Epicormic branching and yes, usually it's as a result of new or more light getting to the trunk.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

Allrrrright. I'm glad they are not nearing their end because there are too many to lose. (I don't know how I got into italics????)

Thanks.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

titanoftrees

kelLOGg

Logger RK

I was told buy a Log buyer a few years ago,what I thought was red oak,was pin oak. Of coarse it paid less then red. 

Ron Scott

Yes, epicormic branching which arises from opening a stand up to much to sunlight. They can also be caused by fire. The branches arise from dormant buds. The trees aren't dying, but veneer or log grade quality may be affected.
~Ron

TreeStandHunter

Epicormic growth can absolutely be a sign of the tree declining, in declining trees it is a last ditch effort to perform photosynthesis. If you recently opened the canopy and it's getting full sun now than yes that will cause it also, look at the rest of the tree (canopy) for other signs of it declining. If it looks healthy when leafed out than it's fine. 
In the process of building my own mill.

Ron Wenrich

The problem with epicormic branching is that it puts a defect in the underlying lumber.  Sometimes you can saw through it, sometimes you don't.  In hardwoods, it can be a defect.  And that effects the value of the wood.  I've seen epicormic branching come from cutting a stand too hard and from insect defoliation.

White oak is also prone to what is called a cat face.  Its a bud cluster under the bark.  Same thing as epicormic buds, but it usually kicks white oak out from being veneer quality.  Sometimes these will have a tiny branch or a cluster of leaves break out.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

barbender

Bur oak typically have a lot of those, in my area.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on March 12, 2019, 09:57:33 AM
It's called Epicormic branching and yes, usually it's as a result of new or more light getting to the trunk.  
How about black walnut ? Just getting sunlight or problems? This wild child leaner has all dead branches up high but the main one seems good. Maybe the other ones we're getting blocked a little and there was some trunk growth. I thought about cutting it down thinking it was dying but after looking at the top last night and reading here maybe but I guess all the little suckers are not good. I'll get a picture of the top

Rhodemont

The oaks and other trees that are along the sides of a newly cleared pasture (4 yrs) all have many new branches sprouting from the trunk.  Trees 50 feet back into the forest do not.  Amazing how the thick barked trunk getting direct sunlight is pushing them out. 
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Thank You Sponsors!