The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Favorite summer boot socks  (Read 2033 times)

Offline AZ_builder

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Favorite summer boot socks
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
@AZ_builder With an endorsement like that, I suppose Id be willing to wear pink socks too, at least with long pants 😉
 Where do you buy them?
I buy mine from our snap-on tool distributor. Im sure they could be ordered online. Im also sure theyre made by another company but I havent really cared to research it.

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »
Redwing they have a higher percent of merino wool.  alpaca for dress sock.  Doc where do you get those insoles? Also redwing just had a spring sale buy two pair get one free.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline bwstout

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
I have been wearing these year around my feet sweat a lot and they keep them dry and cool and warm when it is cold. PEOPLE SOCKS Merino wool crew socks you can get them on amazon for abut 30.00 for 4 pair.
home built mill

Offline Mountain_d

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
I wear a polypropylene inner sock with a thick wool (50% wool and 50% synthetic) sock over top. 
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »
I wear thru socks pretty fast and the good ones are expensive. I've been buying Darn Tough for several years. They last better than Smart Wool.
https://darntough.com
I wear Darn Tough as well. I still have some of my old Smart Wool socks and will continue to use them until they wear out, but anything I'm buying new for a work sock is now Darn Tough. They are made here in Vermont, and they are a quality product - they cost a bt more, but they last. They are mostly Merino Wool, though the % varies among various designs of socks. Available in a variety of cushioning.

I was wearing GameHide Elimitick treated socks. They are treated to kill ticks, and the treatment supposedly lasts the life of the sock. Since the socks don't hold up very well, I can say with some confidence that the anti-tick treatment does last "the life of the sock". They do make my feet sweat a lot. My feet always feel wetter than when I'm wearing Darn Tough or Smart Wool.

With the disappointing life of the GameHide socks, I tried these Insect Shield socks. They seem to be holding up a bit better. Not much cushioning, but they do work to keep away ticks. I've been using a pair for two summers now, and it's still effective. Not a wool sock, so my feet do feel wetter than with the DarnTough or SmartWool socks.

I just ordered a pair of the Farm 2 Feet "No Fly Zone" socks. They are wool, but the description is a bit misleading: "we use 100% US made merino wool" does not mean the socks are 100% wool, just that the wool they use is US Merino. All of their "No fly Zone" socks are treated for ticks. I'm waiting to hear back on the claimed life of the treatment.

NOTE: the Gamehide, Insect Shield, and Farm 2 Feet socks are all sold by SOCK size. THis is not the same as shoe size. You will likely need to bump up a size from your sho size to get a good fit (for example, I wear a size 9 shoe, but order the large size Insect Shield socks - size 10-13 - to get a good fit).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
@John Mc , The pre-permethrin treated clothing was really interesting to me at first but as you mentioned, I felt like you had to compromise on the actual items of clothing too much so I started to roll my own...

I buy permethrin in a 36.8% concentrate for $33 for 32 ounces.
https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html

That is 73.6 times stronger than the 0.5% used for clothing treatment (Sawyer Spray) so 1.75 ounces ($1.80) makes 1-gallon.  I mix up 3-gallons worth in a 5-gallon bucket with a good water-proof lid.  I then take another 5-gallon bucket with a lot of holes drilled in the bottom I will fill it up with clothing and dip that it into the permethrin bucket until everything is fully soaked and then suspend it above the bucket to drip dry for a few hours or overnight.  I then throw everything in a spin and drain cycle of the washing machine and then the dryer, where applicable.  You can treat washable chainsaw pants the same way but they absorb a lot more.  Use GLOVES!

A typical batch will use about 1/4 gallon if you leave it to drip long enough and I repeat this process once per month over the summer.  The same 3-gallons usually will last all summer and I fill up a spray bottle for boots or whatever and give away some to neighbors, etc.  They say it will last for 6-8 weeks or 6-8 washings but I repeat it the first of every month to be safe.  Not a single tick (knock, knock) since I started doing this and several a year used to make it past my daily tick check.  I treat socks, pants, shirts and hats via dip and spray boots and shoes.  We also spray our window screens to help with no-see-ums as well. 
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »
Other than the socks, I've not felt I had to compromise on quality to use pre-treated clothing (and I'm hoping the Farm 2 Feet socks will change that - we'll see).

I have some t-shirts and some long-sleeved Ts that are still going strong after 4 years of wear without any re-treatement. I liked them enough that I bought some lightweight treated pants to wear under my chaps. They are also holding up well. I've used one for 2 years, and the other I just got last year. Still no ticks when I wear them.

Like you, I also treat some of my own clothing: jeans and some other old shirts. I buy concentrated permethrin, dilute it, and spray it on my clothes, then hang them to dry. I've gone for about 4 washes without retreating with good results. I'm afraid to go longer, since I've heard from several folks that they've seen it fade after 4 or 5 washes.

I've not tried dunking them as you are doing, @nybhh .  I wonder if that lasts any longer?

I'm not inclined to be the Guinea Pig to do any testing myself. My brother has had Lyme disease twice, and was hospitalized for a week with Anaplasmosis. A cousin was wheel chair bound from Lyme, recovered for a bit, then ended up in the wheel chair again with a relapse. She's continued to fight it for years. Finally, I've watched a woman here in my home town who just can't shake Lyme. She's been so weak at some points that she can't even sit and watch her son play soccer most days. With those kinds of experiences, I'm not taking chances.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
100th post  8)

Yea, I'm not sure if dipping last longer either which is why I still treat monthly but I know it covers a lot better than the spray does and is easier to treat a lot at once.  

Other than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods.  Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work.  I think the pants got torn the second use.  

Lime Disease is serious business, sorry to hear about your family members.  

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
Military clothes are permethrin treated. Only lasts 12 washes I think the tag says, so it's probably all gone by the time I get my mitts on them. The clothes are great for being outside though. They're built to win.

Those of you that like wool socks... Marshalls typically gets a bunch in around jul, and the prices are attractive. Many times they're seconds, but I've yet to find a flaw in any of them. The Darn Tough comments made me think of it. I got a couple pair a couple years ago, and I like them a good bit. If you wait til after jul, the prices drop, but as expected, stock may be small to non existent.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
Other than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods. Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work. I think the pants got torn the second use.

They use some sort of bonding process to get the permethrin to stick to the material better. I'm not sure what the process is (and the companies are telling), but I can verify that it does work. I have not counted wash cycles, but those T shirts I started with have been through dozens.

Here's one of my more recent Insect Shield T Shirt purchases. I have some without the pocket as well, but can't find the link to them now.

Here is the GameHide Elimitick Ultra-light Field Pant I wear under my chaps. They are not the toughest pants around - they are certainly no Levis or Carharts, but I'm not so worried about that under my chaps - wanted something cooler to where when cutting wood in the summer. I also wear them for hiking around my property when the weather is warm. They are marketed as hunting apparel and get decent reviews, so they are not completely wimpy. I've had them for almost 2 years, and they are still in good shape. They help keep me cool, and they dry very quickly if I soak them with sweat or get caught in the rain. They've been through at least 20-25 washes and still no ticks.

I bought the Gamehide Elimitick Five Pocket Pant about a year ago. The fabric is heavier. I was looking for something that was a bit tougher, and that I would wear in cooler weather, and that would stand up when not protected by my chaps. I haven't worn them enough to judge how tough they are.

Both of those pants are available in a couple of camouflage styles, but I ordered them in plain tan. I'm not worried about hiding when I'm cutting firewood, and the plain color has made it easier to verify that there are no ticks crawling around on them.

To the OP - sorry for the topic drift.

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
Other than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods. Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work. I think the pants got torn the second use.

I'm the OP.  Topic drift is as much me as anyone.  ;D
Thanks for the links!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
I'm the OP.  Topic drift is as much me as anyone.  ;D
Thanks for the links!
Yeah, lost track of the fact that you were the OP.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
.  Doc where do you get those insoles? Also redwing just had a spring sale buy two pair get one free.  
I get them at redwing.  Even not on sale stuff, the manager at our dealer, will throw in a pair of sock, and or discount the insoles, toe cover, and throw in 3 extra sets of paracord style shoestrings.  I found a set my wife got me for Christmas and looks like the price has gone up to 60$.  They are nice as the boot breaks in and loosens up, to fill in a little and keep them fitting well.

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
I use Dr Scholls inserts in my Viking caulk boots. $16

I'm in those boots 8 hrs a day tromping woods ground marking strip lines and thinning with clearing saw.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
They keep a record of you purchase in the system, so my wife could go get my usual as a gift.  My bother has used them for years doing road construction and now as foreman at a rock quarry.  The style I get is a composite toe, soft leather so the break in period is short.  You could in theory go to a RW dealer and they could look up what Doc H in Hutch gets for boots.  If you ask they will wheel and deal, and if you buy your boots there, they stand behind them. IMHO
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 01:36:30 AM »
I am ordering a pair of the Wigwams SwampDonkey suggested to try them out.

Isn't that the first rule of the military - keep your feet dry/take care of your feet?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 02:16:02 AM »
Lots of training films about caring for your feet and avoiding STDs.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »
The Darn Tough socks last really well. The extra cost ( if there is any ) is worth it to me. I just won't put up with socks that sneak down into my boots and wad up around my toes. ( Attack socks ! ) I even went so far as to buy socks labeled left and right but they were hard to get on and off ! There needs to be a balance between proper shape and the cuff not being too tight or loose.

I finally wore out a pair of medium weight Darn Tough after 2-3 summers of them being my favorite pair. The soles wore out. I mostly wear Crocs in the summer.

A local store has a buy 3 get one free every fall so I stock up every other year.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
All right, I can't believe I just bought a $24 pair of socks but I have to see what all the hub bub is about with perhaps a little FOMO thrown in for good measure.   I got the "Steely" ones...

https://darntough.com/collections/men-s-work/products/steely-boot-sock-cushion-w-extra-cushion-toe?variant=30180992519

I'll report back if all my foot, knee and elbow pain completely disappears when I wear these as well as an overall improved vigor, stamina and outlook towards life.  Perhaps my wife will even require that I wear them to bed at night, we'll see.  ;)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
I've been reading along with this, both in awe of the number of responses, but also for the quality opinions and information. I checked these out and find that they are available locally to us @nybhh  If I get a chance, I may just stop in and check them out. My boots fit tight, so I don't have a lot of room for thick socks. Did your pants arrive yet?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chainsaw boot or snake boot

Started by rebocardo on General Board

12 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 10:40:42 PM
by bitternut
xx
High work boot vs regular work boot

Started by bigtrees on General Board

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 04:29:03 PM
by Skip