iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite summer boot socks

Started by nybhh, April 01, 2019, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

@John Mc , The pre-permethrin treated clothing was really interesting to me at first but as you mentioned, I felt like you had to compromise on the actual items of clothing too much so I started to roll my own...

I buy permethrin in a 36.8% concentrate for $33 for 32 ounces.
https://www.domyown.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html

That is 73.6 times stronger than the 0.5% used for clothing treatment (Sawyer Spray) so 1.75 ounces ($1.80) makes 1-gallon.  I mix up 3-gallons worth in a 5-gallon bucket with a good water-proof lid.  I then take another 5-gallon bucket with a lot of holes drilled in the bottom I will fill it up with clothing and dip that it into the permethrin bucket until everything is fully soaked and then suspend it above the bucket to drip dry for a few hours or overnight.  I then throw everything in a spin and drain cycle of the washing machine and then the dryer, where applicable.  You can treat washable chainsaw pants the same way but they absorb a lot more.  Use GLOVES!

A typical batch will use about 1/4 gallon if you leave it to drip long enough and I repeat this process once per month over the summer.  The same 3-gallons usually will last all summer and I fill up a spray bottle for boots or whatever and give away some to neighbors, etc.  They say it will last for 6-8 weeks or 6-8 washings but I repeat it the first of every month to be safe.  Not a single tick (knock, knock) since I started doing this and several a year used to make it past my daily tick check.  I treat socks, pants, shirts and hats via dip and spray boots and shoes.  We also spray our window screens to help with no-see-ums as well. 
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

John Mc

Other than the socks, I've not felt I had to compromise on quality to use pre-treated clothing (and I'm hoping the Farm 2 Feet socks will change that - we'll see).

I have some t-shirts and some long-sleeved Ts that are still going strong after 4 years of wear without any re-treatement. I liked them enough that I bought some lightweight treated pants to wear under my chaps. They are also holding up well. I've used one for 2 years, and the other I just got last year. Still no ticks when I wear them.

Like you, I also treat some of my own clothing: jeans and some other old shirts. I buy concentrated permethrin, dilute it, and spray it on my clothes, then hang them to dry. I've gone for about 4 washes without retreating with good results. I'm afraid to go longer, since I've heard from several folks that they've seen it fade after 4 or 5 washes.

I've not tried dunking them as you are doing, @nybhh .  I wonder if that lasts any longer?

I'm not inclined to be the Guinea Pig to do any testing myself. My brother has had Lyme disease twice, and was hospitalized for a week with Anaplasmosis. A cousin was wheel chair bound from Lyme, recovered for a bit, then ended up in the wheel chair again with a relapse. She's continued to fight it for years. Finally, I've watched a woman here in my home town who just can't shake Lyme. She's been so weak at some points that she can't even sit and watch her son play soccer most days. With those kinds of experiences, I'm not taking chances.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nybhh

100th post  8)

Yea, I'm not sure if dipping last longer either which is why I still treat monthly but I know it covers a lot better than the spray does and is easier to treat a lot at once.  

Other than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods.  Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work.  I think the pants got torn the second use.  

Lime Disease is serious business, sorry to hear about your family members.  

lxskllr

Military clothes are permethrin treated. Only lasts 12 washes I think the tag says, so it's probably all gone by the time I get my mitts on them. The clothes are great for being outside though. They're built to win.

Those of you that like wool socks... Marshalls typically gets a bunch in around jul, and the prices are attractive. Many times they're seconds, but I've yet to find a flaw in any of them. The Darn Tough comments made me think of it. I got a couple pair a couple years ago, and I like them a good bit. If you wait til after jul, the prices drop, but as expected, stock may be small to non existent.

John Mc

Quote from: nybhh on April 02, 2019, 03:19:33 PMOther than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods. Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work. I think the pants got torn the second use.

They use some sort of bonding process to get the permethrin to stick to the material better. I'm not sure what the process is (and the companies are telling), but I can verify that it does work. I have not counted wash cycles, but those T shirts I started with have been through dozens.

Here's one of my more recent Insect Shield T Shirt purchases. I have some without the pocket as well, but can't find the link to them now.

Here is the GameHide Elimitick Ultra-light Field Pant I wear under my chaps. They are not the toughest pants around - they are certainly no Levis or Carharts, but I'm not so worried about that under my chaps - wanted something cooler to where when cutting wood in the summer. I also wear them for hiking around my property when the weather is warm. They are marketed as hunting apparel and get decent reviews, so they are not completely wimpy. I've had them for almost 2 years, and they are still in good shape. They help keep me cool, and they dry very quickly if I soak them with sweat or get caught in the rain. They've been through at least 20-25 washes and still no ticks.

I bought the Gamehide Elimitick Five Pocket Pant about a year ago. The fabric is heavier. I was looking for something that was a bit tougher, and that I would wear in cooler weather, and that would stand up when not protected by my chaps. I haven't worn them enough to judge how tough they are.

Both of those pants are available in a couple of camouflage styles, but I ordered them in plain tan. I'm not worried about hiding when I'm cutting firewood, and the plain color has made it easier to verify that there are no ticks crawling around on them.

To the OP - sorry for the topic drift.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nybhh

Quote from: John Mc on April 02, 2019, 04:06:18 PM
Quote from: nybhh on April 02, 2019, 03:19:33 PMOther than a stronger concentration, I'm not really sure what the "secret" is they use for longer protection periods. Curious what clothing you use, I was given a few items as a gift but they were all recreational/hiking quality and not really built for work. I think the pants got torn the second use.

I'm the OP.  Topic drift is as much me as anyone.  ;D
Thanks for the links!

John Mc

Quote from: nybhh on April 02, 2019, 04:09:50 PM
Quote from: John Mc on April 02, 2019, 04:06:18 PM
I'm the OP.  Topic drift is as much me as anyone.  ;D
Thanks for the links!
Yeah, lost track of the fact that you were the OP.

doc henderson

Quote from: trapper on April 02, 2019, 12:45:04 PM.  Doc where do you get those insoles? Also redwing just had a spring sale buy two pair get one free.  
I get them at redwing.  Even not on sale stuff, the manager at our dealer, will throw in a pair of sock, and or discount the insoles, toe cover, and throw in 3 extra sets of paracord style shoestrings.  I found a set my wife got me for Christmas and looks like the price has gone up to 60$.  They are nice as the boot breaks in and loosens up, to fill in a little and keep them fitting well.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

I use Dr Scholls inserts in my Viking caulk boots. $16

I'm in those boots 8 hrs a day tromping woods ground marking strip lines and thinning with clearing saw.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

They keep a record of you purchase in the system, so my wife could go get my usual as a gift.  My bother has used them for years doing road construction and now as foreman at a rock quarry.  The style I get is a composite toe, soft leather so the break in period is short.  You could in theory go to a RW dealer and they could look up what Doc H in Hutch gets for boots.  If you ask they will wheel and deal, and if you buy your boots there, they stand behind them. IMHO
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

I am ordering a pair of the Wigwams SwampDonkey suggested to try them out.

Isn't that the first rule of the military - keep your feet dry/take care of your feet?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Lots of training films about caring for your feet and avoiding STDs.

sprucebunny

The Darn Tough socks last really well. The extra cost ( if there is any ) is worth it to me. I just won't put up with socks that sneak down into my boots and wad up around my toes. ( Attack socks ! ) I even went so far as to buy socks labeled left and right but they were hard to get on and off ! There needs to be a balance between proper shape and the cuff not being too tight or loose.

I finally wore out a pair of medium weight Darn Tough after 2-3 summers of them being my favorite pair. The soles wore out. I mostly wear Crocs in the summer.

A local store has a buy 3 get one free every fall so I stock up every other year.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

nybhh

All right, I can't believe I just bought a $24 pair of socks but I have to see what all the hub bub is about with perhaps a little FOMO thrown in for good measure.   I got the "Steely" ones...

https://darntough.com/collections/men-s-work/products/steely-boot-sock-cushion-w-extra-cushion-toe?variant=30180992519

I'll report back if all my foot, knee and elbow pain completely disappears when I wear these as well as an overall improved vigor, stamina and outlook towards life.  Perhaps my wife will even require that I wear them to bed at night, we'll see.  ;)

Old Greenhorn

I've been reading along with this, both in awe of the number of responses, but also for the quality opinions and information. I checked these out and find that they are available locally to us @nybhh  If I get a chance, I may just stop in and check them out. My boots fit tight, so I don't have a lot of room for thick socks. Did your pants arrive yet?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nybhh

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 03, 2019, 10:14:57 AMDid your pants arrive yet?
@Old Greenhorn - They did. I've only worn them around the house so far but I actually watched tv in them for a few hours the other night and they were as comfortable, if not more-so than the jeans I changed out of.  Pretty amazing actually but I want to use them in the woods before I give them a proper review.  They do seem super well built though and look to be plenty durable.  Certainly a huge improvement over what I was wearing before from a comfort perspective, not really convinced they provide as good of protection as the my 6-ply Labonville though.  Ah yes, I see Kenco carries the Darn Tough, that's cool.

John Mc

@nybhh - what pants did you order? I took a quick scroll back through the thread, but must have missed the mention of them.

nybhh

@John Mc He's referring to another thread, not unlike this one, discussing chainsaw pants/chaps.  After that thread, I decided to cash in a birthday gift from the wife, our tax return, and the college savings account of our unborn children to order a pair of the Clogger Gen2 chainsaw pants from WesSpur.  

John Mc

OK. I probably commented on that thread as well.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: nybhh on April 03, 2019, 10:41:30 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 03, 2019, 10:14:57 AMDid your pants arrive yet?
@Old Greenhorn - They did. I've only worn them around the house so far but I actually watched tv in them for a few hours the other night and they were as comfortable, if not more-so than the jeans I changed out of.  Pretty amazing actually but I want to use them in the woods before I give them a proper review.  They do seem super well built though and look to be plenty durable.  Certainly a huge improvement over what I was wearing before from a comfort perspective, not really convinced they provide as good of protection as the my 6-ply Labonville though.  Ah yes, I see Kenco carries the Darn Tough, that's cool.
Well it looks like on Saturday you will be able to give those pants a good test, the socks too if you get them in time. You will be all 'duded up'. :) 
 I have been thinking about those pants a lot and would really like to make the jump, but the old Mule needs some tires and there is this saw I have my eye on. Sweating in chaps is more tolerable if you take them off from time to time to do other chores. It's kind of like banging your head against the wall: It feels SO good when you stop.  ;D I will wait and see how much you rave about them first, I also want to find out what Bill buys and wears first. Good Luck with them!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nybhh

I'll do you one better and let you try them on for yourself next time I see you.  

:D I banged my head against those Labonville chaps for 6-years so I feel like I got my money's worth out of them and they're going to live in the "box" so I have them if I'm not wearing the pants.  My problem is that I would always start out with great intentions but as you said, it feels so good to take them off, I would and then ... one more cut, just one more cut, etc.  They often wouldn't get put back on for the clean-up towards the end of the day and that is when you are the tiredest and probably need them the most.  

Brad_bb

Sorry I'm still on the socks topic....    
One of the problem with socks is those that only come once size fits all I think.  That's all I've had up until now.  I just ordered the wigwams and they have medium, large, and extra large.  I ordered the extra large because i have big calves and don't want that cuff cutting me off....  I'll report back when I get them and wear them for a day.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

I think most boot shops sell Wigwams Brad. I see them in Maine at shops that sell Red Wing and Irish Setter., such as Trader Joe's and Sleeper's. I get mine here in New Brunswick at Mark's Work Warehouse shops. I get the Long Outdoor Ice socks for my chaulk boots. And I wear a finer pair of 40's under them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kczbest

I highly recommend Dan Post Cowboy Certified over the calf boot socks. A big annoyance to me is socks that creep down below the top of my boots. Am I the only one who has ever had to remove snake chaps just to pull up my socks 😡? I haven't had to pull my socks up out of my boots since I started wearing the Dan Post socks.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

lxskllr

Slippage is a big reason I like wool. I never have problems with those as I do stretched out cotton. I also wear tightly laced combat boots, and that helps a good bit.

Thank You Sponsors!