iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shut down the OWB

Started by gspren, April 08, 2019, 08:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

It's to hit the 70s here the next few days so I shut her down. I may wait a week or two to clean it so I could restart but probably wont. I still plan to cut a few standing dead oaks before summer sets in but not on the 70 degree days.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

luap

I shut down the owb today. Still only in the 40's but supposed to see 60 by the weekend. At this time of year the stove will go days before needing wood and makes lots of creosote.

RHayes

Just flipped the water heater breaker back on so looks like I'm done for the season as well.  

petefrom bearswamp

I only shut down when going on vacation and for water changes.
In winter when gone i drain and vacuum out lines.
Burn Hemlock slabs all late spring summer and early fall to heat domestic water.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hedgerow

I normally never shut the Garn down usually do the Maintenance between burn cycles as we heat our domestic water year around with it. But during the ninth  heating season it started to leak around the front air collar door area so I  drained Monday and we are back heating domestic and house with propane. I have had some shoulder surgery so I won't be able to get into the Garn and clean up the leak area and see if we can repair the leak and move on. Got a friend coming Saturday to do some clean up on it and get some pictures of the affected area and I have been making some calls of folks I know that are welders. I usually do my own welding. It going to have to be a small younger guy.  

woody_88

Going to shut it down soon too, have to fix a sensor on my furnace first for propane.

This being my first season with an OWB, I am interested in hearing any and all techniques of clean up for the off season. I purchased a rust blocker emitter cup to stick in there (firebox) after scraping clean, what about covering the inside of the fire box with motor oil? (New or..)

Roger2561

Quote from: woody_88 on May 15, 2019, 10:40:57 AM
Going to shut it down soon too, have to fix a sensor on my furnace first for propane.

This being my first season with an OWB, I am interested in hearing any and all techniques of clean up for the off season. I purchased a rust blocker emitter cup to stick in there (firebox) after scraping clean, what about covering the inside of the fire box with motor oil? (New or..)
woody-88;  I only use new motor oil.  The reason for changing the engine oil is to remove the toxins that build up over time, why introduce the toxins and contamination to your OWB?  What OWB do you have?  Roger 
Roger

woody_88

That is solid thinking Roger, even the cheapest no-name oil would be better than used for this application. I have a Classic Edge 550, an early titanium series, stainless water AND fire box.

Do you cover the chimney stack, even though there's a rain cap?

What do you have?

Looking forward to many years of burning!

Rebarb

At the end of burn season I burn it hot for an extended period, not boil though......let it cool and scrape the inside, clean then dump fresh synthetic oil in the fire box and slosh it around, done.
Run the pumps every time I mow.

woody_88

Good tip on running the pumps at an interval, when you're already outside! I was going to ask the question next about running pumps thru summer or what. That answers it.

Thank You Sponsors!