iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quality Axes

Started by Big Z, April 15, 2019, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Let's see some more of your vintage and high quality axes large and small guys!!

Walnut Beast

Double Bit Felling Axe? Do you guys that have them like them or think they cut better for felling than a regular one? 

DonW

Double bits are a lot of fun to swing, bucking, felling, limbing, splitting, juggling, all that +.
And these too 

br>
Front to back, breitbeil, carpentry axe, carpentry axe, rafter hewing axe.
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Walnut Beast

Absolutely beautiful! 

Magicman

My Great Granddad's Hewing Axe with some ERC timbers that he hewed.

My Craftsman Handaxe that I use to split kindling.

My John Neeman Carpenter's Axe.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Thanks for sharing Magic! Those are beautiful! 

Texas Ranger

Been with me 60 years or better.  Used lesser axes most of the time.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Walnut Beast

Nice collections everyone!  Some real eye candy!!  I'm getting jacked out of my mind thinking of putting some trees on the ground by hand and when I get done bore cutting some big Black Walnuts the spurs are getting cut by hand to drop them! Nothing wrong with creating more work and excitement 💪. I think I'm going to get a Gränsfors Bruk double bit axe. For serious felling the double bit seems to shine.

DonW

My skew on Gransfors is one of relativity and while I have some I've also gotten rid of them out of discontent when compaired to actual high quality. Probably for availability and ease of acquisition it's a reasonable way to go, certainly more so than what's there at the hardware, Council, or whatever. When you wanted a goo d one though this version posted would be like a Cadillac of double bitteds.

Walnut Beast

No candy boyz here! 

DonW

Another kind of double bitted action.

RPF2509

Spot on Brad B with using a maul for splitting rounds.  I got mine 30 years ago for $5 at a yard sale.  Sharpen it up once a decade or so.  3-5 cords of oak every year since and its still going strong.  Replaced the wood handle every so often after a missed swing.  Tried a fiberglass/plastic handle once and never again when I missed and it shattered and almost took off my ear with the shrapnel.  I don't use an axe for kindling anymore after I sliced my left index finger with a newly sharpened axe.  The maul takes just a tap and the weight takes it through.  Axes are for felling or limbing and only if the chainsaw is not handy.  I tried a hydraulic splitter once and it was more work getting the round to the splitter and vice versa instead of just pecking away where the round lay.  I find that for the wood I split, its easiest very green or very dry.  Its that in-between time that is the hardest.  

RPF2509

Double bit axes for felling work no better than a single bit.  The other edge is for when one side gets dull or to use on hard bits like limbing branches or when there is a chance of hitting the dirt.

firefighter ontheside

I got a nice solid brass axe for my 30th year at the FD.  Doesn't have a very sharp edge on it.  Nice hickory handle too.  It's adorning my wall now.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Quote from: RPF2509 on January 30, 2023, 06:59:32 PM
Double bit axes for felling work no better than a single bit.  The other edge is for when one side gets dull or to use on hard bits like limbing branches or when there is a chance of hitting the dirt.
Couldn't disagree more on the felling part!!

Walnut Beast

Pretty sweet firefighter 👍

DonW

Quote from: RPF2509 on January 30, 2023, 06:59:32 PM
....  The other edge is for when one side gets dull or to use on hard bits like limbing branches or when there is a chance of hitting the dirt.
That about covers all the bases. :) In other words, for whatever chopping you'd like to use it for.

woodroe

Snow & Nealley's up this way.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Walnut Beast

Got this bad boy on the way and I'm ready to put some big timber on the ground! 

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/butik/products/double-bit-axes-en/

beenthere

Will look forward to the video of you putting big timber on the ground with that axe. What diameter size are you calling "big" timber?   8)

Nice axe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DonW

I guess you've got the felling version coming and not the throwing in the link you've posted.

Walnut Beast

Beenthere I'm not up on all the video action yet but will do some pictures. Have a few 60" walnut to get the party started to graduate to some bigger.

Don I have the double bit with the 35" handle on the way. Not the short one.  

Walnut Beast

Double bit action! I'm looking forward to mine but there is no way I could run with these boyz. 120- 150 feet up cutting the trunk at 14- 20 inches Wow! 

Walnut Beast

Double bit motivation! Both guys with them. The one on top has his also. For you suspender boys! How about his!  

Tom King

Imagine being inside that notch while you're chopping.

Thank You Sponsors!