iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Read a Book

Started by Magicman, March 25, 2020, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood Shed

Just got my hard cover copy of "The Way I Heard It" by Mike Rowe and starting to read it now.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Onthesauk

My wife bought me a Kindle about 9 years ago and I'm now on my third.  Last one I bought on Craigslist for $30 and works fine.  I have access to my city library through Kindle and Amazon and can get the bulk of things I'm specifically looking for.

I also signed up with Bookbub, sends me a daily email of cheap or free books that are available.  I've like it because I run across authors I've never read before, find stuff to try I never would have seen otherwise.

Moved back to town a few years ago and have access to 4 thrift stores now.  Wander through every week or two and have accumulated quite a backlog of authors I like but hadn't gotten to before.  Like reading books in order and a cheap way to get them.

I probably read 3 to 5 books a week, more in the winter.  Authors I like I can read again after a few years.  Doubt that I'll ever read all the books I currently have and still bumping into new thing I want to read.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

samandothers

Quote from: barbender on March 26, 2020, 10:58:14 PM
Samandothers, are people that attend Primitive Baptist Churches referred to as Primitive Baptists?
I would assume so.  The churches are usually pretty small.   The service ran a hour but most of that was preaching.   Once I started dating I went to church with the girl friend.  It was quite a change going to her church service versus the Primitive Baptist services.

Good story Don.  The folks were/are very nice.  I have not attended a Primitive t service since I was a teen.  Very different from Southern Baptists or Methodist in structure.

gspren

I read a lot of books in the winter and now for obvious reasons. Our local thrift sells soft backs for .50 and hardcovers for $1.00 and once in awhile BOGO and I stay stocked up. Every so often I box up a bunch I've read and donate them back.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

I have the paperwhite and dont use it as much as I should.
I'm now on the third volume of Shelby Footes Civil War trilogy, my second time thru.
I am in agreement with a southern generals comment.
"If I had the yankee artillery and our infantry I could lick any army in the world"
I'll see if I can get Mike Rowes book on my Kindle next.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Here is one about my part of the country, but you will not read it in two days:  Rising Tide
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 28, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
I have the paperwhite and dont use it as much as I should.
I'm now on the third volume of Shelby Footes Civil War trilogy, my second time thru.
I am in agreement with a southern generals comment.
"If I had the yankee artillery and our infantry I could lick any army in the world"
I'll see if I can get Mike Rowes book on my Kindle next.

Pete, if you like civil war reading get Killer Angels by Michael Sharra.
Then start reading his son Jeff's s books that start during the revolution and go through to Korea.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: RichTired on March 27, 2020, 12:45:45 PM
Jon, who/what provides the narration for the book? Mike or some computer generated voice? I really like any show where Mike Rowe does the narration.
It was Mike Rowe. It was like he was telling us stories.
Verry entertaining.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dan_Shade

So I downloaded Mr. Rowe's audio book last year when I saw this topic. In the book he made mention of Travis McGee, a character in several John D Macdonald books.

I finished book 21 today (audio books from audible). 

I found them very entertaining. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

firefighter ontheside

Does he mention his barbershop quartet background.  He had a very interesting podcast about it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moosehunter

Dan_shade, I read all (I think all) of the Travis McGee series many years ago. 30? 35? Time sure does fly! I would really like to read them all again.
Firefighter, barber shop and OPERA!! He used opera as a path to get his actors license.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

trimguy

I missed this the first go around. My wife just ordered us one off eBay (used) $5.36, free shipping. :)

Lostinmn

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 27, 2020, 12:21:27 PM
There is an app called Libby. It links to your library card so you can download books for free and they expire after 21 days. I havent bought a book from amazon since.

Through Libby I downloaded and audio version of Mike Rowes book when I recently drove down to Fayetteville for work. I listened to it all the way down and part of the way back. Very enjoyable book.

Jon
I second the libby app!  I listen to audio books on this app via downloaded from my local library.  I do about 20 books a month by listening on walks, when driving and even when milling while using my 3M WorkTunes ear muffs.  
With full time job, two kids and typical life requirements I rarely get time to read a physical book much anymore and even as a fast reader there just isn't enough time in the day to get through all the books on my interest list.  I was a veracious reader before having kids. 
The app also lets you adjust the speed you listen to the audio book.  After slowly increasing it, I now listen to most books at between 2.5 to 3 times normal speed and you can finish a 12 hour book in 4 hours or so.  Very, very efficient!  I'd never keep up with my reading interest list without it.
Highly recommend the libby app!

aigheadish

Reading is cool. I read, like some others, mostly before bed. I also don't usually buy books so I read a lot of public domain, or classic stuff. Right now is Robinson Crusoe and I've been on a bit of a deserted island kick, with Swiss Family Robinson, just before. 

I should look into the Libby app. I usually take a long time to read stuff, can you extend the "borrowing" period on there? 

Also, for work, I'm reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and it's pretty good!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!