iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flattening sled

Started by Nebraska, June 08, 2020, 01:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I made this router sled for my mill and am fairly pleased with how it turned out. I wasn't sure if I should put the topic in mill modifications or processing, seems to be processing so it's here. 
(Hind sight speaking here)  If had to make it again I would cut some slots to allow adjustment in the width of the rails to accommodate different routers.  Wasn't a big issue. I used turtle wax to lube the rails. I have several pices of  poly foam insulation board of different thicknesses for adjusting the height. The bed is a mdf 2 ft shelf covered with 3/4 foam board attached with spray adhesive. It just sits on the bed rails against one of the clamps.  It worked better than I expected,  I decided  to build it for the mill rails since i've already got a saw dust mess to clean up there and its a flat surface,  I 've got a couple little projects going now with pieces I flattened. 

Piece of the tree that started me chainsaw milling several years ago. Poplar from my P.A. friends front  yard, maybe a bench or maybe a coffee table. Other side is pretty plain white.

Crusarius

NIce, I thought about doing same thing with the mill. But the mill is a long ways from electric.

Nebraska

No electric at my mill as well   ::), that's a project on the list. Its not that far away maybe 100ft.. I ran the router with one of my generators,  not super efficient but it's not like I will flatten stuff every day.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Walnut Beast

Nebraska

busenitzcww

Awesome! I'm hoping to build a flattening jig for my mill soon, but I have a 20"  helical planer head I'm hoping to use. My sawmill is electric so I have 120v, 240v, or 3phs to work with  :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!