iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Thick squared stock for Roubo=style workbench

Started by bradpjohnson, August 24, 2020, 05:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradpjohnson

I am just getting going with my small bandsaw mill (WM LT15) but am planning future projects to cut for. One is a Roubo-style traditional woodworking bench with a thick top. Traditionally made from an air dried slab, but now often a laminated top. I have in mind cutting, air drying and then solar kiln finishing 9-10' long 4"x4" hardwood sections that I would then joint, plane and laminate. I want to use something from my woodlot, so that means maple, hard or soft, cherry or red oak. Is this a feasible plan?

Another option is to try and locate a vacuum kiln that will do small custom lots, either in slab form or as 4x4's.
Suggestions? I am separately posting re: an upstate NY vacuum kiln facility. 

Old Greenhorn

Unless you have some extra ju-ju in your solar kiln, it will not really dry 12/4 stock well, and even if it does, it will take a very long time and you may have a lot of drying defects.  
 If you do find the kiln place you are looking for, please let me know, and also their rates. I am in Eastern NY but could make a drive for the right opportunity.
 As far as the bench goes, there are many good builders here. My buddy @nybhh just made a beauty. He used ash and I think that is the best choice for a bench. holds up well. Otherwise, I think you would want to go with hard Maple if you can.
 Good luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

bradpjohnson

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 24, 2020, 05:38:25 PM

If you do find the kiln place you are looking for, please let me know, and also their rates. I am in Eastern NY but could make a drive for the right opportunity.
As far as the bench goes, there are many good builders here. My buddy @nybhh just made a beauty. He used ash and I think that is the best choice for a bench. holds up well. Otherwise, I think you would want to go with hard Maple if you can.
Good luck.
I'll share whatever I learn. And, ash is a great idea, along with everyone else mine are threatened/dying, and I have a couple of the size needed for the project.

WDH

With your 4x4's, stay well away from the pith and the juvenile core, or they will severely crack and split.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nybhh

IMHO, I'd recommend staying away from thick pieces that will take forever to dry and most likely split if using ash, mill everything at 6/4 and then joint, plane and glue up.  I milled up a few shorter ash 6"x6" pieces as a test for legs at one point and 3 of 4 ended up splitting pretty bad air dried over winter - i.e. slow.  The pith was centered in them though so you may have better luck if your trees are large enough to avoid it.  

I ended up doing my Roubo in KD Doug Fir as I decided to save my ash for other projects.  Personally, If I had built it in ash, it would have been too precious to use as a proper workbench/abuse.  A harder wood would be nice though, the doug fir dents up pretty easily. I used the plans in Christopher Schwarz' "Workbenches" book and if you have good eyes or glasses, I highly recommend it (the font is too dang small!)

Good luck with it!
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

bradpjohnson

Quote from: nybhh on August 27, 2020, 10:39:18 AMI used the plans in Christopher Schwarz' "Workbenches" book and if you have good eyes or glasses, I highly recommend it (the font is too dang small!)

Good luck with it!
nybhh, I have that book also; a great resource. I'm torn between doing a "modern" glue-up Roubo and a all-out traditional wet-slab type that Schwarz showcased recently. But since I have already spent the $$$ on the Benchcrafted (gorgeous!) vises and I don't have room for both, I think the modern version will win!

Old Greenhorn

Sorry, apparently I mis-posted about NYBHH's bench. I know Ash was the original plan but I was unaware of the change. I must have missed the memo. ;D My bad.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

farmfromkansas

About 15 years ago when setting up my shop, got Schwartz' book on benches, and built the French version, for the top used 2" thick burr oak, and could only wind up with a 3 1/2" thick top.  A couple years ago, noticed it had a slight crown on top, and used a plane and belt sander to make it flat again.  Very solid.  Drilled 3/4" holes for the dogs, end vise and one vise on the side. Since getting a wide belt sander do not use the bench as much.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

nybhh

Those bench crafted vises are works of art.  I haven't added a leg vise to mine yet but if/when I do, that's the one for sure!  

I'm not familiar with his slab version of that bench but I'm sure its sweet.  I'm guessing there are some design changes between the two that might make this unfeasible but perhaps you could build the modern bench per the book but since you have the mill, go ahead and cut a big slab for that for whenever it dries.  Then your base isn't wasted if you have a drying defect on the top that makes it unusable.

I used the technique in the book to drawbore the base to the top w/o glue which makes removing the top possible and with tight fitting M&Ts, its a very solid connection.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Thank You Sponsors!