iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new shirt

Started by tule peak timber, December 01, 2020, 09:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

does it clean and or distress and or bring out the grain in wood?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

I'm trying for an alligator shoe look. I definitely don't want a "distressed look", but a worn 3-D surface that will"bounce " a finish . Bent saw blades, no kerf, skip sanding ,,, 3-d. WOC
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

AJ coating a hollow mantle and a desk top today.

I had a strong start with a 200 log sale out of the yard this morning.  WOC

doc henderson

well neat-o.  what is the finish?  is that a sanding sealer? or brush able lacquer.  is brushing better for the rustic?  is the end edges nibbles with something?
so you sold 200 logs, for a project you will be doing, or sold as is?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

The finish is General Finishes Water Based Poly. We will brush on 5-6 coats and abrade it back with 2000 grit later. This leaves a real washed out, pickled look (pure crap), but that is what the customer wanted!
The mantel is a hollow form from a single board and the light distress hides my glue joints. One expensive piece of 8/4 walnut divided into 3 thin boards.
The logs were labeled yesterday and are sold as is for the Tijuana River Park Build. They are select as far as size, but the contractor was here this morning and sealed the deal (nice$$$).
This afternoon we're doing one of the bartop bottoms for the Mingei Museum job with a penetrating epoxy.
:snowball: WOC

One last bark inlay to do , then it is off to mill for some live oaks.

doc henderson

is there a way to get a satin sheen from bar top epoxy (total boat)?  tying to decide on epoxy for the bar top vs a satin urethane.

tule peak timber

Yes by wet sanding with a hard wax oil.

doc henderson

i assume that is a liquid.  any brand or does total boat carry that?  I have paste wax.  I will search, thank you, DOC.  my new sig. to keep up with WOC!  
1,000 grit?  6K?  osmo, fiddes, briwax, interbuild?  i assume to dull the bar top epoxy, not as a stand alone finish.

tule peak timber

We use UnEarthed Hardwax Oil. I have a pallet coming in next week. A small amount on a piece of 3-MScotchbrite fine grade will do the job . Stick the Scotchbrite to the bottom of your orbital sander on slow speed and wipe clean when done. Make sure to spread your rags out, or submerge them in water to prevent spontaneous combustion. Th UnEarthed oil is something I use a lot of because it is zero VOC's, child safe, food safe, but good enough to use on winery floors in a commercial application.Way cheaper than Rubio.......WOC

doc henderson

thanks for sharing your secrets!  DOC

tule peak timber

Merry Christmas to one and all.
Dear Santa; Looks like we are going to need a lot more ammo.

trimguy

tule peak timber

It's tongue in cheek, as opposed to tongue and groove. On a serious note I do want to wish everyone on the site health, prosperity and happiness along with a Merry Christmas. I am also deeply concerned about what is happening to my country. I took an oath and that hasn't changed.
Cheers, WOC :snowball:

doc henderson

god bless America!  your granddaughter looks like a sure shot.  makes me anxious to watch A Christmas Story.  it is on in the theatres now, and on TV soon enough.  with the pitchfork and gun, you might as well be from Ks.

usflag

tule peak timber

One of the larger logs we shipped today. In the last two days we have loaded four trucks each day with outbound logs for a project in San Diego. Hundreds of logs, no sawing involved, ,,,,,,,I like this kind of work 8) WOC

tule peak timber

A view of the San Diego project on going.

doc henderson

that is impressive so I am not surprised that you are involved.  great.  good forest fire mitigation too.! :D

tule peak timber

I'm funneling fire killed material from the recent massive fires in Northern California into this job. Coordination of large amounts of material, helping the contractor and architect build a better product and finding uses for material that would normally go into the grinder and end up as mulch instead of functional art.

One thing I've learned in 2020 is it is not how much wood I am cutting or even selling, it's been the ability to work as coordinator or the nut behind the wheel between engineers, architects, designers, builders, procurement/supply folks, owners and politicians and produce a product between all of them that is on time and on budget. And yes, I still work in the shop 8-10 hrs./day, 7 days/week right now. That includes these last holiday weeks.

I think that if this project comes out well, there is already talk of another one right behind it. It is a big hole and I'm going to fill it with my special kind of crap!

tule peak timber

Another job starting soon will be a select architectural trim package for this high end apartment complex in Los Angeles. This will involve my new "whisker" machine that I haven't built yet, custom finishes and a great deal of beetle kill pine :new_year:The Wizard of Crap !

tule peak timber

Well, it made national news this morning that there is a huge forest fire a couple of miles from my front yard and the wind is blowing steadily at 20-30 knots in my direction. It is so warm here even the rattlers have come out. This photo was taken yesterday.

Meanwhile, I managed to get fiber optic cable wired a corner of the shop and after waiting for months a high definition music server, along with all the amps and pre-amps etc. mounted in a filtered, pressured air box. I used to think that compact discs had the best sound available, but this new high def stuff, over fiber optic, is ABSOLUTELY unreal in sound quality.

It's Saturday and I am still plowing on the tail end of the big Sacramento job. I've gone 7 days/week, non-stop, since June I think.The total job has been over 2 years long ! I'm  really looking forward to the end of Sacramento and the army of overhead people I have to answer to every week. WOC

samandothers

Could you not find some large woofers?

21incher

I understand vibration brings snakes out of holes. Don't crank it to loud  :laugh:.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

be careful what kinds rock music you play, those woofers may fan the flames.  good luck.

thecfarm

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 11, 2021, 10:29:06 PMThis will involve my new "whisker" machine that I haven't built yet, 
I wonder what that machine will do?? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

It is spitting snow today ---so no rattlesnakes. The new sound system is a BIG hit with the crew and a happy crew is a productive crew. There is a bit of self indulgence, for sure, in putting that level of  sound in the workshop but like I said, I'm not stupid. The guys beebop along all day long and are happy to come into work. Win, win.
On the whisker machine; I've been trying to develop over the last year a wood surface texture to go with my brown on brown. People really like the wall panel that we are cranking out and it accounted for most 2020's income. The picture below shows where the machine is at this morning and I am due to produce samples in the next 2 weeks for the new Rise Korea apt. complex. Gross construction cost on Rise Korea alone is $155mil. These same people keep coming back to me for the odd, the weird and my special kind of crap.
At 2 AM this morning I came up with an idea on how to smoke my bacon differently. Hope it works out. I told my wife if the whole contraption catches fire, we'll eat the bacon anyway!
WOC

Thank You Sponsors!