The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: here we go again  (Read 7657 times)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
Re: here we go again
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2021, 03:09:50 PM »
I'm afraid to say this but our worse time to get stuff has not even gotten here yet . You break something bad you better be good at making parts cause that's the only way your going to fix it

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
@ehp I believe that you are RIGHT. Experience is a heck of a thing. Aftermarket parts were just as bad when the ANTIFREEZE plants may/may not have caught on fire just prior to my time in that world. It tended to affect everything. That’s assuming they really did 🤔 Keep in mind, that was just before this cluster of different colors/types of antifreeze or R134A.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
In used trucks it's almost impossible to find a regular old pick -me-up with a regular cab and an 8 foot bed .What you do find is over priced double cab golf club haulers with itty bitty beds .The interiors  are all dolled up like a Cadillac ,country club truck . New they cost as much as a Cadillac .I never thought I'd see the day somebody shells out 50 plus grand for a truck .Good grief .
That's what I said before and got yadda yadda yadda. $50,000 US is that $65,000 + Canadian truck. You're not going to get that $35,000 new truck today are ya? :D :D :D

My grandfather could buy a brand new F150 every other year on Canada Pension. And you think pension has kept up with prices? :D :D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »
Nope. Our respective dollar is worth less & less all the time. 😕   :(
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 03:12:00 PM »
Buddy on another thinning crew said his boss gets clearing saw blades for $18 in bulk,  Husky saw shop wants $24, Stihl wants $30. Also wanted to change the arbour for different size hole in blades, 3/4" to a 1". Shop wants 4 x the money. And there is nothing more to it than taking off the blade, pulling the arbour off with no more effort than removing a washer, and sticking the other on and blade back on. If you take the blade off and set the saw down, the arbour is likely to fall out. There is a gear behind it that matches the one on the angle drive gear. A little bit of tacky grease holds it a bit while changing out blades. Anything to steal a buck.  ::)
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
Isn’t that the way it goes SD?
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2021, 06:30:14 AM »
How 'bout some happy news. :)

Al, we found one of those trucks they don't make anymore. 1991 F150, 2WD, regular cab, 8' box. Two tone dark red and white. Spotless red interior which is another thing nobody makes anymore. Mint condition for a 30 year old truck and only 52,000 miles on it. It was an "old guy" truck that lived in a garage. 15" tires so the tailgate is nice and low. Going to use it as a shop truck for some light P&D, but it's almost too nice to do anything besides the Sunday drives it's been doing for the last 30 years.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2021, 06:59:16 AM »
Photos or it didn't happen. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2021, 07:23:23 AM »
 Mint condition for a 30 year old truck and only 52,000 miles on it.  .
:o :o :o :o :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2021, 07:30:35 AM »
How 'bout some happy news. :)

Al, we found one of those trucks they don't make anymore. 1991 F150, 2WD, regular cab, 8' box. Two tone dark red and white. Spotless red interior which is another thing nobody makes anymore. Mint condition for a 30 year old truck and only 52,000 miles on it. It was an "old guy" truck that lived in a garage. 15" tires so the tailgate is nice and low. Going to use it as a shop truck for some light P&D, but it's almost too nice to do anything besides the Sunday drives it's been doing for the last 30 years.
That is really cool, a piece of rolling history :)

Hey, what about clampett truck? It is a 1992 Chev 3500 2wd 1 ton dually from PA with 58,000 original miles. 454, turbo 400 , fifth wheel, trailer brakes, additional transmission cooler....and some crazy paint scheme and no rust ... yet
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
Photos or it didn't happen. :D
 Going to put front rotors and wheel bearings in it first, but you can just stop in and see it.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »
That old '77 Ford F250 I have has 263 thou on it .It started the last time I started it and likely it still will but it 's tired and an oak limb cracked the wind shield .I paid a whole 900 bucks for it with 150 thou on it .That old duffer doesn't owe me anything .Who knows I might get a wild hair and restore it . :D I've saved sicker cats than that one . On the other hand I might find a decent beater reasonable ,time will only tell .

Offline DHansen

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »

Ford 1992 Bronco.  Tailgates that work!

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »
I bought the smaller duramax , so far it seems good and is good on fuel . 

Spike once this covid thing is on its way out and everyone gets back to work I feel things will get quite crazy for everyone just to try to keep up 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:06 PM »
In response to your last sentence, Bill Paxton in Twister said it best -- "It's already here"...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
Paxton.....RIP.

Kevin

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2021, 06:13:36 AM »
Crazy is right Ed. And getting back to work and having stuff to work with is a combo that will contribute to the insanity. All the trades guys around here are struggling to get parts and materials to complete jobs. Probably not a great time to have stuff done if it can be delayed because shortages lead to the use of 2nd or 3rd choice materials or worse. Haven't seen much of it ourselves. One small example: We mostly use NGK plugs. Nobody's got the BPR4ES that goes in most of the Kawis. No Campions. Ended up buying the Torch equivalent. This is going to go on for a while yet.

Lot of free spending going on now with people being depressed from lock downs and free money for not working. But that's going to come to an end when folks realize the prices of necessities like food and energy are climbing and they stop buying things they really don't need.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2021, 05:05:18 AM »
I'm not sure if there is a surplus of anything .The price of lumber is about 4 times what it was not that long ago .The engine plant I retired from just laid off the entire plant ,no place to send the engines .During the early 80's it was over 4,000 when I retired around 1,200 .That decline in numbers was due to CNC machinery and robotics which is what I did .
This whole thing is odd, many out of work ,shortages of every thing .In all that everyone of my investments are going through the roof ,that I don't understand . ???

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2021, 05:40:04 AM »
our lock down is to be over in about 2 weeks but from what I hear they are going to prolong it into June , cops are now charging people for pretty much doing anything like having anything outside with people other than your own family , golf course got charged for being open , lots of crazy stuff going on 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2021, 06:52:28 AM »
As far as an actual lock down here it's not, just curtailed .Restaurants that are set up for a distancing conditions most likely can only do about  50 percent .Those with drive through have very long lines but timing is everything if you choose that route .
We usually only buy groceries about every two weeks and that hasn't been bad .I'm not sure yet what that cyber attack on the pipe line will do if anything .Sounds to me it should be next to impossible for some how  some geek with a keyboard can shut down an entire pipeline supplying 45 percent of the gas and diesel for the east coast on the US . I think they have a fly in the ointment some place .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter