iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

here we go again

Started by ehp, December 21, 2020, 12:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

It's location I'm sure .However going by that my nearly 6 acres, wooded and  .brick house would be worth a million and a half .My goodness the property tax would break the bank .Evidently the Canadians have all the money while us poverty stricken  Ohio red necks  just make do as best we can. :) We're so poor we can't hardly even pay attention . ;)----Now the rest of the story .It just so happens Lima Ohio and area usually  is in the top ten most affordable cost of living in the entire USA .

ehp

You honestly do not want to know what land tax is here . I see they are talking to make us stay in lock down longer as we are to come out on May 20th but it kind of looks like we will be into June before they take lock down off . Some are calling till we have less than a 1000 cases a day so it could be a long time before we are out of the woods 

Spike60

Met a dealer friend for dinner and a couple beers last night. He is stihl and all of our brands are different in fact, but the situation is similar for both of us. He's having more trouble getting saws than I am and has no pro stuiff. I'm lighter on the homeowner models, and missing some of those. Shortages aside, we are both having decent years. We did more joking than complaining. Truth is that in this business, these shortages aren't as bad as a drought where the grass turns brown for 2 months. Life can be worse.

Discovered that different bar length SKU's for a particular powerhead have wildly differet ship dates. Some of my backorders got kicked out to freaking August! Then noticed that they were all 24" .058 SKU's, and sure enough, Husky is out of those bars until August. Just call up and change them to 20" SKU's that will ship this month right? Nope, ya can't do that because the system will change the price to the higher April 30th price increase. Not giving that up, so I just ordered more saws and figured I'd leave the original order "in the bank".

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ehp

they added 2 more weeks of lock down today on us , they will see how the case count is once it gets near that date

Greenhighlander

Quote from: ehp on May 10, 2021, 12:07:08 PM
Al not sure what land or houses are selling for where you are but here is just crazy and I mean crazy   you ask a crazy price and you get at least 200 grand over asking price and lots just 300 to 500 grand over asking . Just wait a year or 2 and you will be able to but it back for half what they paid .  Lots of people are selling their house and moving and retiring off the money
Lots of folks have sold off in Ontario and bought here in Nova Scotia .  It is insane how fast places are selling here and the prices they are going for .    It has gotten so bad that people trying to work and live here cant find a place to live. Buying is now far too expensive and only geared to these foreign buyers and there is simply no rentals in my entire county .  Unlimited airbnb and vacations homes for rent , but none for long term rentals.   
I bought my house 3 years ago for less then assessment value because I knew the people.  I could of sold it for 3 times what I paid the next day.  Most of the real estate selling here is going site unseen and the next closest offer they had on my place was more then double what I paid.    There is no way this is not the peak of the market and some folks buying right now as an investment are gonna have a very rude awakening.    
I also watched a video awhile back about what happened to the real estate prices in Vancouver and how the need to clean dirty money was a very big factor in it .   I believe that is also what has been happening here.  Nobody with even half a brain is paying what they are for what they are and expecting to make their money back.

ehp

the one stihl dealer to the east of me got a lot of saws and parts today so maybe things are turning around and a pile of bars and chains . They got 5 of the MS 400's as well as a pile of 462's and 500's so that is good to see

Tom King

I remember with 2008 coming, a lot of people thought they were are lot richer than they ended up being, by what they had in the stock market.  Deja Vu all over again.

Al_Smith

The market is just  ink on paper .However saying that even with the fluctuations it will do about 11 percent in the long run .Just don't count your chickens before they hatch .You win some ,you lose some .I've done great lately, next year might not be so good .

ehp

well I guess they are finally going to let a few people to be able to go outside here on Friday and some business allowed to open a wee bit , its been a long time for most and we will see what companies and stores come out of this as some stores have been shut down for over a whole year 

mike_belben

Quote from: ehp on April 13, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Its nothing for a farmer to order 20 saws at once . Hydro here orders more than that at once .
Someone needs to let these people know they are reusable!  You dont need a new one each time.
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Mike don't tell..... Spike's making 💰..... ;)

mike_belben

Oh right right.. Sorry.  I'll zip my lip.  

Throwaway society ftw. 
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

Bob has a very significant collection of old Jonsered saws. He has never thumbed his nose at those folks using older saws....he quite enjoys using them himself and has many videos out there with them.

In the spirit of fairness, he's in the small engine business and sells new saws. That doesn't make him greedy, unapproachable or 'rich' by any means. He also keeps us up to date on what's new in Husky saws....don't pith him off, as I like him and rather enjoy him being here.;D

If he's making good $$ now because of COVID madness....more power to him. He didn't set out to profit from COVID.....like so many scoundrels have.

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

Kevin, I am quite sure Nebraska meant a lot less than no harm in that comment. I drive past Spike's shop 4 to 6 times a week these days as I head up to the cutting grounds an I don't see a lot of folks standing in line outside with bags of money waiting their turn to unload it. :D 
 Mostly what I see are folks coming and going with working equipment trying to make a living, that is on the days I drive by and he is open. I usually pass by a couple of hours before he opens and come home after they close. I also know that business folks like Spike have been severely hampered by the lack of supply from the factory. Very frustrating to have buyers begging and no source of product. Having on open store and nothing on the shelves does not exactly keep the money rolling in.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

All in jest guys.  No disrespect intended. 
Praise The Lord

Spike60

Everything's cool men. No offence taken by me to anything that was said by anyone, but thanks for the backup anyway. Yeah, we're selling a lot of new saws these days. We've been a little more resourceful at keeping them in stock than most dealers. So, part of it is folks calling around looking for certain models. But inventory is still tight on some models and I'm not doing any shipping of saws. If I was shipping them all over the country, I wouldn't have anything for my regulars.

As far as the old saws go, we're about the only shop anywhere around here that will work on the older saws, We've got parts that Husky doesn't even have anymore, and it'r much the same for the Jonnys. We're definitely not one of those "just get a new one" dealers. Lotta experience. Or put another way, old parts and old farts can keep old saws running.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Yeah, I'm not saying anyone was battering Bob and I could tell it was tongue in cheek. I just felt obliged to say something. The retailers aren't necessarily getting rich because of COVID. Their profit margin is probably the same on the saws, even if they list for more now.

What could be happening is that you sell everything you have because of false panic/hording. And/or your supply chain is so broken on new products, that you sell everything as soon as it comes in the door. My point was, Bob's got suck....and he's taking care of his people first.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Quote from: Spike60 on June 08, 2021, 08:38:54 PM
. Or put another way, old parts and old farts can keep old saws running.
My motto to a tee .It's not just saws I might add  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!