Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2021, 02:07:34 PM
This morning's sawing began here last week

When my customer showed me this 46" butt Water Oak log that indicated metal.  

I parked the sawmill beside it Saturday, and we returned this morning.

The first order of business was to 'jump butt' 5' from the butt and 3' from the top end leaving a nice 12' log.

The log was sorta egg shaped and 36" on both the butt and top end.  The weight calculator shows 5428 lbs. but that would be a log with taper.  This log had none

The Kubota rolled it onto the loading arms and I would take over from there.  The Magic Hook is secured to the log clamp with no slack.

And the loader & clamp working together loaded the log.  

So now let the 'gunbarreling' begin.

And continue.

Until I had three 6" cants for the saw through.  Notice that the pith check runs horizontal with the boards.

The heat forced us to quit at 10:30 so we will return Friday to edge the flitches and saw his last log.  It will be interesting to see how many board feet this log yielded.
Nice work. I have always taken pleasure in watching a professional at work. The ease at which a skilled person can accomplish a hard task is as study that more should undertake.. If I wasn't so far away I would come give you a hand. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Have not sawn much lately. Hot, Rain, busy at work. Did cut 6 nice ash logs into 5/4 boards for a friend. We did not think to take pictures. We have a tremendous amount of dead ash from the borer around here.
I did build a nice maple an cherry table for a friend

who did some no charge real estate legal work for me though. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Before  

In between  

After

94.5 mile round trip trip to resume interrupted sawing job from my failed coils. 12 hours from arrival to departure. Did not scale the lumber. Mostly ash, a little poplar one small walnut. 4/4 & 5/4 boards. I'm guessing around 1500-1800 bf. 7.7 hours on the engine, one full tank of gas used. Several large logs that had to be gun barreled to fit the mill. 8 blades but one was out of set and replaced at the start. Plan on finishing tomorrow.

Nearly wiped out 3 deer at 8:07 pm on the way home. Locked the brakes set on the horn and they barely cleared the area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Trips and days like that are getting old for me. Yours an hr each way not too bad.  I've had 2.5 hr each way plus extra on the way home in rush hour traffic. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

HemlockKing

That long of a drive and by the time I get there I'd be getting out of the cab of the truck like a cripple lol . Dang back pain. At least it goes away as I start moving 
A1

terrifictimbersllc

You and me both. Also other issues if I didn't make a pitstop several times on the way back. Wife asks what's wrong with you? I tell her I'm not really home yet.🥵

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

No pictures today. It was after dark when I quit and too late to take a picture. Very similar to yesterday with 7.5 hours on the mill. One gnarly ash I whittled down 2 sides and cut some one side LE 8/4 for bookmatching to make wide tables or such. Customer did not know what he would do with them. 

My debarker quit while working on the contrary ash log. I am sure it is a loose or broken wire. I fixed one broken wire. early on today and just need to do basic troubleshooting. I think we have 6 more small logs to saw but it was just too dark to safely continue so one more trip to finish, tally and collect my pay. We started with a slight rain delay, I had to move to mill about 5-6 ft up the hill to get more working room and had to jack it up and re-level it after one large knocked it off its shims at the rear.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

burdman_22

Maybe not the right thread, but I was planning to buy a clean sweetgum log tomorrow and was wondering what a fair price was. It is 35 ft long, 18 inches in diameter on the big end and 14 on the little end (also pretty straight). No limbs from what I can tell in the picture. Is $75 too much or too little or about right?

Southside

Well that's about 355 board feet.  Right now around here that log delivered to a mill would bring $300 or so per 1000 BF, or $0.30 per BF, multiply that by 355 and you have $106.50, delivered, assuming it does not have any rot, sweep, or other defect that deducts from the measurement.  

Gum has a twisted grain to it, as such it moves a lot so best to quarter saw it for flat lumber.  That log is too small to quarter saw.  Really it's two switch ties with a little pallet wood.  

Guess it depends on what you need is the answer.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

burdman_22

I'm just sawing into 1x6s. My initial offer to the guy was $50, but I went up to $75 when he said no. Probably should have just passed on it when he said no to $50

Magicman

Personally I would say no and move on, that is unless you have a need for twisty 1X6's.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

The last Sweetgum I sold, I got $1 a ton for it.  It was a leftover load from a thinning job.  I was just glad they got it away from here.  Otherwise, it would have just laid there and rotted.

WDH

The log weighs about 1.5 tons.  In the timber market as stumpage for low grade or pallet wood, it is worth on the stump $25 per ton.  That is the only market for Sweetgum logs.  So, on a timber sale as a standing tree in the woods it is worth about $38.  Add about $25 per ton for logging and delivery to a commercial hardwood mill which is another $38. The log is worth about $76 and your offer is spot on. 

Of course you cannot sell one log to a commercial hardwood mill in Alabama, so actually, commercially the log is worthless. It sucks as firewood and is a poor wood for cooking or smoking meat.  It is only worth what an individual like you is willing to pay.  The seller has no other alternative except to let it lay and rot or use it as poor firewood with low heating value.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John1946

trying out new Predator engine on chestnut oak 10 5/8" x 11" x 21'

WV Sawmiller

%$*&@#U#: fat fingered another response off into cyber space. I'm going to remove or tape over that button as I can't think of anything else I use it for.

I returned to the site 50 miles away and sawed 5-6 more small logs this morning to finish nearly 5K bf over just over 3 days hard sawing and 5 round trips involved. Mostly 4/4, a few 5/4 stair treads and a few 8/4 and even a handful of 4X4 posts. Mostly ash, walnut, a couple of old poplar and a few cedars and even one small cherry.

A handful of cedar to be stacked. I sure wish I had some pretty cedar like Patrick down in NC gets.

Mostly ash, a few walnut to be stacked.

Mostly walnut with a few 4-8 ft long 4X4 posts

Ash and maybe even a handful of poplar boards. A few 5/4 on the right stack. Stack got too high for my customer so he got the ladder to help. Customer was showing his wife the pretty spalting in some of these boards first thing yesterday morning. They were both real happy with them.

Mostly walnut. Some really pretty lumber in this stack.

Got home and unhooked the mill, a passer-by stopped and talked. Looks like another small, part of 1 day job I'll get in a few weeks and it is only 8-9 miles up the road and the kind I really like. (I swallowed a gnat while talking with him and nearly strangled to death! How can something so small cause so much havoc?)

I did a service on the mill till near dark which was about 8 hours overdue. I'll change the oil and filter in the morning ahead of schedule and saw one 4' long WO log for a repeat customer.

Need to send a BOM to my log supplier and see if he can provide about 5K bf of poplar the sizes listed. I suspect he can and that will be an October project.
Howard Green

donbj

Nice job, but someone needs to teach them how to properly sticker. There can be quite a bit of degrade by sloppy stickering
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

WDH

Your customer is going to have to move quite a whack of wood.   Left in place it may not fare well.  I HATE re-work. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

He put some separator strips in some of the some of the stacks so he can lift them with the forks on his tractor which is not running right now.

I had a repeat customer bring me this gnarly white oak "log" to cut into 8/4 stair treads. I told him if he'd cut it 3" longer it would have fit across the loading arms so I used the chains as a sling. I used about every trick I knew to rotate it and move it a few inches at a time. Ended up with about 7 - 2" X 10"  treads and several 2X6's he can join to make a couple more if he wants. He said he was only expecting a couple so I did not feel as bad for not getting a lot more.

Howard Green

Peter Drouin

32' W pine for a timber frame. The next frame will only have 22'

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

HemlockKing

Cutting atv road and slabbing what I take out for swamp and creek bridge material. Absolutely hate rutting up land
A1

firefighter ontheside

Last summer I milled some elm logs.  Today my wife and I loaded it all into the kiln.  This was the first time she has helped me load wood.  I was impressed as she was able to help me carry live edge slabs that were 10' long, 18" wide and 8/4.  She's a little one.  I was very happy with how the elm dried.  Over 10' they have a little twist and a little bow, but not much for being long.  There is no cup.  Even the 1 x 10s dried pretty flat.  On top of that we stacked a bunch of 4/4 quartersawn walnut.  I love the way those boards turned out with half heart and half sapwood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 11, 2021, 02:40:29 PM
  He put some separator strips in some of the some of the stacks so he can lift them with the forks on his tractor which is not running right now.

I had a repeat customer bring me this gnarly white oak "log" to cut into 8/4 stair treads. I told him if he'd cut it 3" longer it would have fit across the loading arms so I used the chains as a sling. I used about every trick I knew to rotate it and move it a few inches at a time. Ended up with about 7 - 2" X 10"  treads and several 2X6's he can join to make a couple more if he wants. He said he was only expecting a couple so I did not feel as bad for not getting a lot more.

That's a billet of wood more than a log lol 
A1

Magicman

Quote from: donbj on September 10, 2021, 11:13:45 PM
Nice job, but someone needs to teach them how to properly sticker. There can be quite a bit of degrade by sloppy stickering
It may not be a case of not knowing how, but an instance where the lumber will have to be moved to it's final drying spot after the sawing is done.  This is the case very often when the logs are sawn at the landing.
Yes a second handlings but the customer may be doing the best that he can with the help that he has.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on September 12, 2021, 03:47:03 PM
Quote from: donbj on September 10, 2021, 11:13:45 PM
It may not be a case of not knowing how, but an instance where the lumber will have to be moved to it's final drying spot after the sawing is done.  This is the case very often when the logs are sawn at the landing.
Yes a second handlings but the customer may be doing the best that he can with the help that he has.
That's a good point.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!