iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I was about to say "no pic then it did not happen", :) but I do see the outline of a young person in the background.  good for you!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I am crushed that you would publicly doubt the veracity of any statement I might make in a public forum such as this. :( >:( Shame on you. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Man, that looks like it was a long, hard, satisfying day! Nice wood.
 Just for future reference, MM usually has better phots of his crew. Just sayin'.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 28, 2021, 10:47:05 PM
Doc,

I am crushed that you would publicly doubt the veracity of any statement I might make in a public forum such as this. :( >:( Shame on you. ;)
I would too!
   hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 28, 2021, 10:49:14 PMJust for future reference, MM usually has better phots of his crew. Just sayin'.

Da pictures will speak for themselves.  :D

Oh, and congrats on a very productive job !!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Okay Lynn, you win but just be warned - I'm gaining on you in the off-bearer department!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Sorry but I believe it is strict FF policy that with no pic, it just did not happen.  I do not make up the rules! :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

at least MMs off bearer has a matching shirt and shoes and safety PPE in gloves and safety glasses.  for all we know, the neighbor lady was just walking by.  Will let it slide this time, but incidents like this are what the wood shed is for.   :) :) :)

GAB

Quote from: doc henderson on September 29, 2021, 09:02:05 AM
I do not make up the rules! :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :D :D :D
That just might be a good thing.
Oh HI Doc.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

Good morning GAB!  thanks again for the maple sugaring information!

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Why don't you just go teach the boy scouts to start a fire by rubbing 2 sticks together instead of stirring up hate, discontent and ill-will! :D We all know you are just jealous of MM and me getting good help.

I will say my helper did not look as neat as MMs at the end of the day. She was covered in sawdust and her hair had started to scatter and such after carrying 12"-16" wide RO boards all day. She was a tough worker.
Howard Green

doc henderson

I am certain she is tough,... if she lasted all day with you! :o :o :o  glad you had some good help.   :) :) :)  all in fun of course. ;) :) :D

GAB

Quote from: doc henderson on September 29, 2021, 09:19:42 AM
Good morning GAB!  thanks again for the maple sugaring information!
Good morning to you and to all.
Concerning the sugaring info. you are very welcome.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Good help is hard to fine but....

There are also lumber graders.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Good help is hard to find, very hard.
Pretty help is all but impossible.

Some folks have asked me if I am  fast sawyer or if I am a slow sawyer. My answer is always the same "Well I am not slow, and I am surely not fast. I am kind of in the middle, I am what you might call a half-fast sawyer. :)

I bet next time Howard gets pretty help he will get a better photo before he eve gets started. :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

The next time I get pretty help it may take me a week to finish a 1,000 bf job sawing 8' poplar 2X4s. :D

Actually my wife may say that is like a hound dog chasing a car and wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it. ;D
Howard Green

doc henderson

I guess if she is grading based on a smile, you did good.  :)  glad she does not have a sad face. MM

Magicman

This was a father/daughter team of tailgunners.

This lady/customer stacked and stickered every board by herself.

Here the whole family joined in the fun.

This was a cookie stacking Queen.

But this has to be my all time favorite tailgunner picture.  ;D

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

You should have quit while you were ahead and left off that last pix. :D
Howard Green

boonesyard

We've been working on and off on this project since the end of June. We've had a 12,000 BF order of small, live edge 6/4 black walnut green slabs we've been sawing. All logs (branches, cause ya know, they won't roll) are bucked in to either 6' or 4' lengths, then flat stacked in a criss-cross pattern to keep them tight. Pacs are 4'x6'x42" high and each is approx. 900 BF. When 3 pacs are complete, the buyer picks them up and restacks/stickers. They have their own kiln they're running. They make charcuterie boards and live edge shelves for resale. It's a lot of nit-picky work on our end, but it's been a pretty good gig and it ends up as something other than firewood.

The right side of the pile is a look at the small stuff we're using for this project. In front of the bigger stuff is my new lumber grader/ inspector (5 yr old grand daughter). She loves spending time with grandpa.

Small logs bucked to length

Finished pacs

Some of their work.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WDH

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 29, 2021, 11:57:23 AM
I bet next time Howard gets pretty help he will get a better photo before he eve gets started. :D ;D
Reminds me of the time a buddy and I were surf fishing on Hatteras Island on the Outer Banks.  He caught a very nice stripped bass and late that evening just before closing time, we took the striped bass to our favorite tackle shop to weigh it.  Working there at the tackle shop was a beautiful young lady whose accent placed her of Eastern European origin.  She came out to see the bass and I asked her if I could take her picture.  She said, "Why you take picture of me and not fish?"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Beavertooth

Just a small one day job. 2013bf out of these a few more small ones he decided to drag up.   

I told customer to store logs upside down so most of the dirt would fall off by the time I got there to saw  

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

SawyerTed

I've not cut anything of note lately.  We did saw some pine framing lumber for a customer who needed lumber for concrete forms and rafters a couple of weeks ago.  I did cut two walnut logs for about 800 board feet of 4/4 and 5/4 lumber last Saturday.  This coming Saturday I'm doing a demo at a local farm festival.  I've stayed busy with the wood products company and being a camp host at the local state park.

As far as tail gunners go, the the one (without the mustache :D) in my avatar is the best of the best I've had.  She can do the work of two and if she has a helper with her, I have no worries about them keeping up, stacking neatly, stick spacing or cleaning up the mill at blade changes.  It all gets done when she's around.  The only problem is keeping a retired PhD interested in helping when she makes more as a tutor at the local elementary school. ;) 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Beavertooth,
Thanks for the storage/stacking idea! That's smart !

I gotta see if I can figure that on out!
say_what

Old Greenhorn

Got down to the mill later this morning than usual. I am old, get over it. :D It just took me a while to get moving. When I got to the mill this was my greeting.

I can't complain because I pretty much staged them all. Just hard a hard time getting rolling. The first log gave me fits trying to squeeze out 2x12's and those dang toe boards kept messing me up. But they milled up fine in the end. Handling the 2x8x17' footers did take a toll on me though. I only got half the deck milled before I was pooped. I work slower when I have to handle the slabs, stack, and load. It's just a lot of running around and still trying to maximize each log. I got in a few hours and a few hundred BF milled and on the pile, not a lot, but I did work for it.
 After shoveling bark and sawdust, I took a walk in the woods to mark some more mushroom log trees then ran to town for 'supplies'. 
 When I got home and threw my hat on the table I realized why I was having a hard time seeing through the sawdust.

I don't think I am milling tomorrow, other stuff needs doing, but I will get back at it Saturday at least.

Thank You Sponsors!