iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Airgas carries them and they clip on the back/interior of the auto dark module.  made just for it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I have a 1.50 in mine. 

Funny thing was Marty came over to do some welding and thought that he was going blind.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I sawed SYP and Tulip Poplar for a many times repeat customer today.  Small job with only 8 logs.

The Red Oak closer to the camera will be firewood.

1083bf of SYP framing lumber and Poplar 1X4's & 1X10's.  Just s neat little 5 hour job.

I have a 76 mile one day job and then a 2 day local job that I hope to be able to knock out next week; both are sawing SYP framing lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Good work MM. 
Today was a day to catch up on a little sawing. Last week I volunteered at a livestock show so no paying work was done. 
This morning a guy came by to pick up some 4x4s and 1x6's that I sawed yesterday after work. This morning John came over and we unloaded the kiln, stacked some Pecan slabs on our racks and hauled the rest to the local hardwood store. When I got home from the hardwood store there were two customers waiting. Sold and surfaced a slab and a few small cedar slabs. Just finished sawing a small cypress order. I spent more time fishing an appropriate sized log out of the pond than I did sawing it. Tomorrow I'll probably get to sawing pine 2x4's (they are now worth sawing and selling). 

I cut this log in half and sawed 12 1x8's and put
The bigger half back in the pond for another day.

Caveman

Walnut Beast

These walnut trees have been dead and off the ground for probably 20 years and still look solid. Cut a branch off and it's rock solid 

doc henderson

we got a little walnut, and Dr. Hagley @Cardiodoc got to spend time with his daughter.  she turned out to be a good helper and enjoyed hangin with us.  weird kid!    :)

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on April 04, 2021, 09:08:57 PM
we got a little walnut, and Dr. Hagley @Cardiodoc got to spend time with his daughter.  she turned out to be a good helper and enjoyed hangin with us.  weird kid!    :)
She's a smart kid too, the only one with a brain bucket. ;D
 Man, that's a nice chunk of walnut there with a lot of possibilities.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

redbeard

madrone slab 2-1/2" x 28" x 10' they had some nice spalt could be some dead spalt due too tree was failing. Reason the customer took it down.

The
The stump was a long process cleaning and preparing it for milling
Lots of rocks.
Was going too slice it into cookies but I saw a really interesting table that took shape.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bruno of NH

New brushes in hydraulic pump today and cleaned up my extra battery hookup to the hydraulic pump.
Heavy wire with crimped ends. Then shrink wrapped.
Battery box with quick connect charging leads. 
Sawed blanks for oxen yokes and 1/2" x 12 x12 pine. Then back to framing lumber.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

If I send out my 15 y/o granddaughter do you think your buddy can do a transfusion or something to make her want to come help stack lumber too? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

richhiway

Sawed up some Hemlock 2x6 and built two heavy duty saw horses to support a roller table for the slab wood. Spring has sprung and it was a beautiful day in upstate New York.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: richhiway on April 06, 2021, 05:48:26 PM

Sawed up some Hemlock 2x6 and built two heavy duty saw horses to support a roller table for the slab wood. Spring has sprung and it was a beautiful day in upstate New York.
Overachiever! :D ;D :D ;D
 They look great, much nicer than mine. 
 And yes, it was a lovely day up here in Ulster County too!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greyhound

I had a sawyer out Mon/Tues to saw up a bunch of poplars into framing lumber (2x4, 2x6... 2x12, 4x4, 4x6's,  8'-16').  That should keep me supplied for many years to come.  First project once air dried will be a solar kiln.  Obviously not for real building as they are do not meet code, but it seems like we are always grabbing a couple 2x4 etc. for little projects around the farm.  We also made a bunch of stickers and sawed up a couple small red maple logs and cherry crotch.  Good times.

firefighter ontheside

@caveman I've not sawed any cypress, but there's someone local selling a half a dozen logs.  He says they are between 12 and 18" diameter.  I"m thinking about trying to get them.  When you saw the cypress do you box the heart or ignore the heart.  I have used a lot of cypress and would like to have it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Greyhound,

Good looking lumber. You are right about the lumber. You always need a stockpile of lumber laying around on a farm or such. I have gotten spoiled owning a mill because if I need a board and don't have the one I want I just go make it. I'm betting you will get many years of use and enjoyment out of this investment. Take good care of it and get it stacked and stickered and dried soon and properly and you may soon realize how much more you need and call the guy back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

alan gage

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 07, 2021, 05:04:36 PM
@caveman I've not sawed any cypress, but there's someone local selling a half a dozen logs.  He says they are between 12 and 18" diameter.  I"m thinking about trying to get them.  When you saw the cypress do you box the heart or ignore the heart.  I have used a lot of cypress and would like to have it.
Hope it's not the same guy with the Butternut log. :)
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  I hope so too.  I'm gonna call him in a moment, so we will know soon enough.  I saw pictures this time and it sure looks like cypress.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

There are some here who have sawed a lot more cypress than we have but it generally is an easy sawing wood but it will clog your dust chute, especially if you still have the blade catcher safety fingers.  You will probably want to clear it after every cut or so.

We normally level the pith unless there is heart rot and then we saw parallel to the bark and keep working around the void for the most yield.  Also, as with most, we try to keep the center of the log balanced left to right in the cant

.We usually use 7° or 4° blades and they cut cypress well but if cypress was all that we sawed, we would use a higher degree blade and saw faster.  This cant was cut with 10° on our 25hp lt-28 and it only took 12 seconds or so to saw a 1x12 if I remember correctly.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

A customer came by 2 days ago and put down a deposit on 60-16'X2"X10" tulip poplar boards. I called my former/sometimes customer and he scheduled us to cut today. We cut what he had then went and cut one more tree and he dragged the 33' butt log to the mill site and we finished the order with 5 left over.

In the process we generated 150 -8' 2"X4" which the customer indicated he would want in the future. I called the customer tonight when I got home and he asked me to turn on my delivery guy (a farmer neighbor with a gooseneck equipment trailer and truck) and said he'd take the 2X4's now too so tentative we are scheduled to pick it all up and deliver Thursday. 

The farmer with the logs provides the helper and himself and they are the best helpers I have had. I sawed for/with them back in October and this is working out very well for all of us so far. He has a big Kubota tractor with forks. I arrived and started set up at 7:00 am, we finished cutting about 2560 bf or so and I was pack up and pulling out at 7:15 pm. It is 26.5 miles away so I got home and disconnected the mill before dark. I see we put 8.2 engine hours on the mill, looks like we used about 6.5 gallons of gas.
Howard Green

Cjross73

My first paying mobile job. I could get used to someone else offbearing and stacking.  950 bd ft in about 6 hrs 1X SYP

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

richhiway

Nice looking lumber,Howard. Putting in the work!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

GAB

Quote from: Cjross73 on April 10, 2021, 05:39:35 PM
My first paying mobile job. I could get used to someone else offbearing and stacking.  950 bd ft in about 6 hrs 1X SYP

Don't forget cleaning up and taking care of the slabs
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KWood255

Black ash logs here in NW Ontario. One of only a few hardwoods we have. After cutting this live edge slab, I turned it into a bar top for the shop. 

Dave Shepard

I'll be sawing as much of this stuff as I can get my hands on. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!