iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Logs unloading at the port in Cairns... Wet season means smaller lifts due to mud up north.

But this lot will keep the girl fed until the end of May and by then the ground might be firmer.

Sometimes I wish I could get the barge to unload locally... save me a road transport leg and shake a few preconceived notions loose. But my local river doesn't have enough depth for that size vessel. Oh well...
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

donbj

Sawing some WRC for a neighbor. This is the butt piece. Sound right through. Made beautiful boards. This tree and a good size Doug Fir.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

KWood255

A few more black ash live edge slabs today. We don't have very many hardwood options here, but these are among my favourites. Average width is about 13-14".  

quadracutter222

Finished up a fence order and a small bit of cedar

Some nice cedar logs left over

Got the last of the bottom slabs aussie re-sawn and up for sale

A new custom cut customer came in with some logs too.  Two of these logs are not like the others! White pines

Gere Flewelling

Donbj- Like that JD 5300.  I have one just like it.  Likely the most useful tractor for small wood lot and yard work made in my opinion.  Nice looking logs as well.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

donbj

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on April 12, 2021, 08:05:50 AM
Donbj- Like that JD 5300.  I have one just like it.  Likely the most useful tractor for small wood lot and yard work made in my opinion.  Nice looking logs as well.  GF
Thanks. They are nice units. The hydraulics are very strong. I got this  around 1997-98 or there about. 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Durvin Wick

Got 2 weekends in on the pavilion at camp. Using the lumber we sawed from the property this winter. Its been a fun project, and the grandkids have been involved from felling the trees to construction. 

Durvin Wick

doc henderson

one of my ED doc buddies and his dad Steve, a retired aeronautics engineer, came over from Wichita with an ERC log.  Had promised 4 years ago, so finally had a time with a trailer and time off for us young guys.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

One of my BSA moms and dads Barb and Steve, needed a mantle so came to look at wood.  After a decision, we decided to throw it on the mill, as to not prolong or make it any more difficult than necessary.  Steve was one of my Walnut sap collectors this past winter, so I guess I owed him.  

never let a good deed go unpunished!  had fun, and found some buried treasure.  silver (colored) bolt!   8) 8) 8) :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

Milled three white oak and two walnut 'logs' for a lady Tuesday. No help available and a lot of chainsaw work. Had to move one of the walnuts with my truck to get it on the mill. I worked hourly so didn't get an accurate BF tally. It was approx. 180 bf of walnut and a little over 200 bf of white oak. Total of 4 hours. I told the lady how much I charged per hour before I even brought the mill in. When I was done she was up at the house and I let hr know it was 4 hours. She came down and handed me some bills and said there was a little bit extra. I stuck it in my pocket and never looked. When I got home and looked, she had given me 2 1/2 times what was owed. I called her and let her know this was way too much but she refuses to take any back. I am really surprised because the day started out as a disaster. Got there and went to set up. When I tried the hydraulics they were no go. Tracked that down to the positive contactor to the strip rail. Brushed it up and got that going. Put a band on and no spin. Had the motor running and couldn't hear if the auto clutch was engaging or not. Killed the motor and could hear the auto clutch working so figured it was the belt. Took the covers of and discovered the turnbuckle had somehow unscrew. Got all that back together and all went ok from there. I was thoroughly embarrassed by all this and figured she would send me packing. A simple setup had ended up being 2 1/2 hours of trouble shooting and repairs. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

Lee,

Congrats on the first rate customer. They are out there and the bad ones make us forget about them.

I went with a neighbor to transport the load of lumber we cut Friday. We got there and had to juggle the load a little as the landowners FEL would not pick up one load but no big problem and all went well. My transport friend stopped at a local store next to a milling operation and the landowner pulled in right behind for gas. Evidently the store/mill site owner was a friend and the landowner had to take him out and show him the 2500 bf or so of lumber on the trailer and razzed him a little telling him "We cut all that in one day". When we pulled out he was still joking with the other guy. To the other miller's credit I really did have good support and best tailgunners ever. Even my transport driver commented on how neat the slab pile was and he was even more impressed when me moved a couple of 16' 2X10's. We ended up unloading by hand but the couple were so friendly and appreciative it was still a pleasure. Its great to have a good lo supplier/helper, transport (Paid by customer) and great customers who appreciate the product and workmanship. Kind of reminds me why I got into this line of work. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Greyhound

I had some poplar logs (~1800 bf int.) milled into framing lumber.  Hoping to build a solar kiln in the fall with it.  Some day I'll buy a mill, but not right now, used mills are rare as hens teeth and prices are crazy high, and lead times on new mills are well into 2022. 

This is obviously an old picture and it is probably only 1/2 to total we milled last week. 

Almost done, needs covering and weights on top, will do tomorrow am.

firefighter ontheside

A few days ago I responded to an ad for free eastern red cedar logs.  Today I went to get them.  I thought I would get them all in one trip, but I underestimated how big and long they were.  My dad also came and brought his truck and little trailer.  We put 5 logs about 8' long in his trailer and then my trailer had 4 logs that were between 16 and 18' and around 18" diameter.  That was all we got on the first trip.  We made a second trip and loaded my trailer again and got all the logs.  Some of these have some heart rot, but will still yield a lot of lumber.  Some of these are the biggest ERC I've seen around here.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

A guy that runs a LT-35 showed up today with a walnut he couldn't slab.

Still had to trim it down a little for my mill.  Hank put his paw of approval on the 32" wide slabs.  I would love to have that slab with the crack!!!

I'm no longer the big dog, as WM Wide's and TK-2020's have been invading.  For those looking at a new mill wide throats will pay dividends!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

I like the boss 👍. Looks great. Did you cut them at 2.5 or 3"

Larry

My customer told me 3-1/4" thick.  He makes custom bar's and uses douglas fir roots for the legs.  The douglas fir comes from somewhere around Jackson Hole.  They are gorgeous and really unique.  I meet the most interesting folks running my sawmill.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

I sawed about 1700 bf of tulip poplar today. Some 4X6 posts, some 2X8's 20' long, but mostly 2X8 & 2X4 full thickness. Nothing less than 2" thick. The customer's whole family seemed to be helping. Wife brought sausage & biscuits then hot dogs for lunch. 2 grandsons, one gd, daughter & SIL. They are all interested and lots of fun to teach and spend the day with. I should finish tomorrow.

Starting log pile.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

nice job @WV Sawmiller I will be sawing poplar all this week,

fine a lot of stress in those smaller ones? only thing I dislike about sawing pop, the juvenile wood likes to talk back just like a teenager,  ;D
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Dave Shepard

There's a little tulip around, but I don't get my hands on much of it. Would like to get more of it. That's a nice whack.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Small yellow poplar around here are loaded with stress.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

All the tulip I've sawn was decent size. 18" and up. It was well behaved, except for a big live edged slab that split down the middle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I once had a customer that wanted four 6X6's out of an 18" Poplar.  I said no, and he asked why?  I told him why, and he said do it.  I said no, and he insisted....... 

He got exactly what he asked for....... :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I'll be sawing four 8x8s out of one log later today. It'll be ewp, so it'll actually work.  :)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2021, 11:34:04 AM
I'll be sawing four 8x8s out of one log later today. It'll be ewp, so it'll actually work.  :)
You hope....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!