iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I have an order for lots of 16 foot and 20 foot 2x8s and 2x6s.  Last Friday, I cut 2x6s for this 16 foot pallet.  Saturday and Sunday I cut the 41 2x8s sitting on it.  

Now I am (in the process of) cutting 74 sixteen foot 2x6s.  After that, it will be 74 twenty foot 2x6s.  I like cutting 2x6s way better than 2x8s.  It's way harder to get two stacks of 2 bys with 2x8s from the medium size logs.  Some where in all that cutting I did this.......

I got woke up this morning, at 7:20, by my land clearing friend's excavator operator.  Said he had long logs for me.   He cut them to 21 feet.

I was glad to see they were medium logs, as my telehandler, Bull, is in the repair shop getting it's leaning front wheel assembly fixed.  The Mahindra was able to lift them off the trailer and slowly take them to the "over 20 foot" log bunks.

I had to use my new Magic Hook 8) to lift one log, as it was wedged in between the other logs.  It was tight and all my pocket stakes were wedged by the outer logs.  I blocked one end up and moved the hook to the other end.  Lifted like designed, where I could get the grapple around it.

Then I cleaned up and took a nap.  Who says working in retirement doesn't include naps?
     hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

longtime lurker

A catnap has been part of my work day for most of the last 35 years - I'm looking forward to retirement so I can get serious about it. :)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

firefighter ontheside

Started cutting some of the ERC logs I picked up last week.  Yesterday I cut about 50 mostly 1x6, but a few 1x4 as well.  I put out an ad to sell them for $2/bf and also a buy all price.  I usually do the buy all price  because I know if people come and look thru them that some of them won't sell anyway.  They're never all perfect, but useful for something.  The first guy replied in about 15 minutes and wanted me to deliver.  I told him $40/hour plus fuel, he ended up replying that was fine, but not before someone else said they would pick them up the next day.  Long story short, guy is picking up these today and I will saw more tomorrow and deliver to the other guy.  I suspect I will be able to do the same with all of the logs I have.  After I saw all the cedar I have, I'm gonna saw white oak 1x6 and see if I can move them quickly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

That's real pretty wood. The 20's are going to be a bear to handle I bet.

I'm sure glad I never nicked a clamp like that. ::) People ask me how come one tooth on my claw turner is shorter than the other and I tell them it just came that way I guess.  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Believe it or not, there is occasionally a log I can't get anything useful out of except Firewood. This Osage log was split every which way naturally. I have no choice but to just slice it into 2 inch thick pieces and then trim them to Firewood Length.  This is the first log that's been trash out of 79.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

GAB

Brandi:
There are less expensive ways of dusting the top of the log clamp such as a fox tail brush.
If it is any consolation you aren't the first to do that.  I know as I done dooded it myself.
Most apt to happen when you are tired or not yet awake.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

I sawed a small red cedar for a customer similar to that a month ago. I ended up with a piece that looked like a trident on the end tapering off as it ran out at different angles. The customer was going to fill in between with epoxy. It turned out real pretty but was a pain to clamp and saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 28, 2021, 09:01:08 AM
Brandi,

I'm sure glad I never nicked a clamp like that. ::) People ask me how come one tooth on my claw turner is shorter than the other and I tell them it just came that way I guess.  :D
Howard,
 Thanks!  The pallet is placed right were I can slide the long ones right off the mill to the pallet.  Only hard part is the first board on a new layer's loose stickers.  Then I have to slide it as far as I can, then lift it to position it on the stickers.  No problem and it makes me sleep harder! ;D
              hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 28, 2021, 10:39:00 AM

Believe it or not, there is occasionally a log I can't get anything useful out of except Firewood. This Osage log was split every which way naturally. I have no choice but to just slice it into 2 inch thick pieces and then trim them to Firewood Length.  This is the first log that's been trash out of 79.
Brad,
    What brand of forklift is that.  How about a better photo of it?  Please?
             hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: GAB on April 28, 2021, 10:51:31 AM
Brandi:
There are less expensive ways of dusting the top of the log clamp such as a fox tail brush.
If it is any consolation you aren't the first to do that.  I know as I done dooded it myself.
Most apt to happen when you are tired or not yet awake.
GAB
GAB,
   I know I am not the first one to do it.  I did it before when I cut a 3/8 inch slot in it.  But the dust was hiding it in the photo.  It seems to always happen when someone is watching or upsets my train of thought.  Guess I should of looked one more time to make sure it would clear.  It's amazing how it looks like it will clear before you cut into the wood.
              hugs,  Brandi

trimguy

@Bindian do I remember right , that you attach the pre-made pallets to your pallets ? I know the 2 x 8's were for an order, but if you air dry wood on that set up do you have an issue of them bowing down in the middle ?

Southside

Brandi - there are two types of sawyers.  Those who try to saw off pieces of their sawmill - and those who deny having tried to do so....  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: trimguy on April 28, 2021, 04:02:02 PM
@Bindian do I remember right , that you attach the pre-made pallets to your pallets ? I know the 2 x 8's were for an order, but if you air dry wood on that set up do you have an issue of them bowing down in the middle ?
I noticed the 16 foot pallet bowing a little this morning.   I have not had that problem with the 12 foot pallets. 
After the customer picked up the 2x8s, I added another 40x48 inch pallet under the middle.  He picked up less than half the order today, but paid for half of the total.
Good thing he came and picked up what he did.  The little car carry trailer and the "mini" pickup were groaning when they left with 41 sixteen foot 2x8s and 42 sixteen foot 2x6s.   I told him he may want to get a bigger trailer for the rest, or make two more trips.   His remaining order is 74 twenty foot 2x6s and 32 sixteen foot 2x6s.
             hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Southside on April 28, 2021, 09:53:13 PM
Brandi - there are two types of sawyers.  Those who try to saw off pieces of their sawmill - and those who deny having tried to do so....  :D
I can neither deny or support any accusation that I was trying to saw off ANY parts made by Woodmizer. say_what
             hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Brandi,

I'm sure glad I never nicked a clamp like that. ::) People ask me how come one tooth on my claw turner is shorter than the other and I tell them it just came that way I guess.  :D
Okay Howard.  I just snapped to it after replying to what Southside wrote.
My 2018 LT40HD has the backstops up when the claw comes up.  How in the heck can you hit the claw and not the backstops???????????????????????
hugs,  Brandi

Crossroads

Quote from: Bindian on April 28, 2021, 11:12:19 PM
Brandi,

Okay Howard.  I just snapped to it after replying to what Southside wrote.
My 2018 LT40HD has the backstops up when the claw comes up.  How in the heck can you hit the claw and not the backstops???????????????????????
hugs,  Brandi
My claw is missing about 3/4" of the first  point on the front side🙈 I was using it to help hold a monster maple crotch in place while I was slabbing it. Then I forgot it was higher than the side supports, but I got reminded 🤓
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Crossroads,

I have his twin brother. WM must have got a load of defective claws that year and we both got one. :D
Howard Green

Brad_bb

@Bindian Brandi, It's a John's forklift conversion.  
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=65543.msg978924#msg978924

97% of their conversions were done using Farmall BN's, but they did do some other tractors.  I just picked up an Allis Chalmers WD45 John's forklift.  
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=114992.msg1815211#msg1815211

John's forklift are very hard to come by.  They were located just outside Grand Rapids Mi, and most of the converted forklifts have stayed in Mi with the Veggie, apple and cherry farmers.  They rarely give them up.  I got these two for a very good prices $4400 back in 2015, and $4500 three weeks ago respectively.  They are both missing their original ROPS.  I will fab new ones eventually. If you do find one of these, you're more likely to pay $7500-maybe $12,000 in good to excellent condition.  They are super handy with rough terrain capability, tight turn radius, and a 2500 LB lifting capacity, maybe a little more  with some.  It will lift about 98 percent of the logs I've dealt with.  I've had a WO log that was probably just a hair over 3K LBs.  I got it in the barn one end at a time and after about a year, it lost enough water that I could pick it up normally. 

firefighter ontheside

I sawed ERC all morning.  I had some really disappointing logs.  Almost every log I sawed had heart rot and hollow centers.  My pile of boards is smaller than the pile of waste, but still not bad since I got the logs free and I've already sold this and the stuff I cut several days ago.  I still have 5 big 20' logs to saw.  I'm hoping that they are better quality. I've never delivered lumber before, but this guy asked If I would deliver, so I'm going to charge him by the hour and for fuel.  He was OK with that and I don't mind being paid to drive.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

@firefighter ontheside , don't forget to get full payment before any material comes off your truck.  I'm sure you've read the posts here about some of these characters?  Once it's on the persons property, they can tell you to pound sand and leave and you won't have any recourse without engaging an attorney which would cost more than the wood.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Brad.  I was thinking about what exactly I would do.  I was thinking about suggesting that he pay me for the wood before I leave home and then pay me for delivery when I get there.  Maybe as you say, I will just take payment before I take any wood off the trailer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SpaceBus

I am thinking about advertising my services as a mobile sawyer, but with my lower throughput on the Logosol F2+ I'm not sure how to charge. With the slower speed on my mill charging by the board foot seems the most logical, but I don't really know where to start. I'm not from the area and don't know any other sawyers. Not trying to make a huge profit, just perhaps pay for my mill with some side work. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Southside

A board foot is a board foot, no matter how fast it was made.  With the current price of lumber and the state of things I don't see $0.45 / BF being unreasonable for portable sawing.  The question is does your production rate justify you working for that price?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SpaceBus

Quote from: Southside on April 29, 2021, 11:00:28 PM
A board foot is a board foot, no matter how fast it was made.  With the current price of lumber and the state of things I don't see $0.45 / BF being unreasonable for portable sawing.  The question is does your production rate justify you working for that price?

Thanks! Logosol estimates the F2+, assuming everything is going well I assume, can mill "Three to four logs per hour" which I find to be a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe 3-4 logs per hour if they are all under 16" DBH. Still, going by the 3-4 logs per hour I should be able to produce 100+ bf per hour, assuming I have logs to do it. Definitely not the kind of profit I would like to see, but $30+/hr isn't too bad after fuel costs. I'm in a few "homesteading" type groups on FB and I see people ask every so often about clearing land. Perhaps I could build a niche market out of being able to get out to remote areas with the mill. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

terrifictimbersllc

Spent a third of the day yesterday sawing 3"-8" ERC poles into live edge 1" and 3/4"
Regular customer, had 1200 bf of other nice ash and tulip. 

Hours for 398 BF log scale of logs having 3 to 27 BF intl log scale each in them.  
That's what he wanted. Good practice with the clamp.  ::)

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!