iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

JohnM and I milled some cedar yesterday.  That was a good change of pace as we have not had any big enough to mess with in a while.  These have been lying around in the yard of a friend of ours who owns a tree service.  The sapwood was rotten but they still turned out some nice slabs and should make interesting looking live edges after the doty sapwood sluffs off.  

We also had some pine to saw this week.  The newly installed $50 CL dust collector kept up well with the pine and cedar.  After sawing cypress I had to disassemble it and spend a fair amount of time digging out wet, compacted cypress goo.

Caveman

Dan R

My LT 15 may be a manual mill but one doesn't have to do everything by hand. Biggest Douglas Fir so far. Had to Bibby it down a bit. Got 43 2x6 s out of it for the Daughters barn we are building.

Dan R

Another Fir. This one I pulled up off the beach in front of my house. It would have escaped from a Boom that was being towed to a Dryland sort or a sawmill. I got this 8 footer and a 12 out of it. Very nice wood.

Hagwoodhunter

Spent the day milling some pine old girl did ok 

'88 Lt 30

Traveling Man

boonesyard

1st time cutting Basswood, 3 logs Saturday evening. One end on the big one was pretty much junk (rot and carpenter ants) but there was enough in the 9' log to get some good stock. Cut everything 12/4, we've had a number of inquiries for it. Interesting stuff

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Larry

When I was sawing a lot of basswood I sharpened some WM bands to 15 degree hook angle.  I was flying through the logs!  Basswood saws really fast no matter what band ya use.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Be sure to keep it well ventilated with good air flow as I understand it is bad to mildew. I cut 1,000 bf or so in 4/4, 8/4, 12/4 & 16/4 and kept a 30" fan on it for over 2 months.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

VB-Milling

CSM'ing some free white oak, freshly felled.  This was my first time being particularly diligent about keeping the chain sharp every couple passes and it went very well.  Got some 93x15 boards out of it 5/4, 6/4 and randomly sawed a 16/4 just to see how heavy it would be and if I could handle it without equipment.

Rotated it to saw through some interesting knot patterns and will get some 93x8 boards later in the week.  Stack and sticker this weekend hopefully.

Sawdust cleanup in the driveway is always fun.  I'm lucky to have neighbors that support my nonsense and are always curious what I've got going on.  My neighborhood nickname has become NeverEZ as my initials are EZ and all the things I do around the house never seem easy (to them).  :D
HM126

boonesyard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 10, 2021, 10:45:00 PM
  Be sure to keep it well ventilated with good air flow as I understand it is bad to mildew. I cut 1,000 bf or so in 4/4, 8/4, 12/4 & 16/4 and kept a 30" fan on it for over 2 months.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put a fan on it tonight.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

VB-Milling

And some Paulownia this afternoon. Sharp chain cuts like butter.

HM126

tule peak timber

Quote from: VB-Milling on May 11, 2021, 07:23:03 PM
And some Paulownia this afternoon. Sharp chain cuts like butter.

VB,I'm curious as to what you will be using this wood for ?What experience have you had with Paulownia?Nice looking wood.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Sixacresand

Done got dibs on a few big paulownia yard trees around town when they are cut down.  Folks say they make a mess in their yards and don't like them.  Flat sawn is beautiful.  Wood is very light and paddle makers love it.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Wudman

Paulownia grows like a weed here (like 1 ring per radial inch).  Getting it to stay flat when drying is problematic.  Good Luck.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

VB-Milling

@tule peak timber 

I use paulownia to build garden tool boxes and for cleats to attach the bottom ribbing in the planter boxes I build.  Nice and lightweight, rot resistant and plenty strong enough.

I have some future ideas to make knickknack boxes with box joints as I think the look is pretty cool.  Glues up well and dries pretty flat.

@Sixacresand 
Good wood to have around.  Dries quick and easy.  Hope the dibs you have is honored.

Maybe when my BSM is delivered, and I get then hang of things, I might try my hand at marketing it and selling it locally.

@Wudman

I've had good luck with it drying flat.  Perhaps because I'm using trees that have been down for several years and the logs are usually no longer than 5ft long or so.
HM126

Wudman

That work looks great.  Glad it works.  We tried making some molding with it years ago with little success.  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Sixacresand

Quote from: VB-Milling on May 12, 2021, 09:09:50 AM
I use paulownia to build garden tool boxes and for cleats to attach the bottom ribbing in the planter boxes I build.  Nice and lightweight, rot resistant and plenty strong enough.

I did not know it was rot resistant.  Besides being light, another plus. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Larry

Sometimes ya get lucky, other times.........

Sawing 10/4 white oak out of 16' logs.  This log clearly showed metal on the butt.  I debarked a couple feet up the log and it looked clean.  Plan was to try and saw around the metal as the customer really needed 16' lumber. 

Got one clean slab than on the next cut hit wire in two locations opposite of the stain on the butt.

Wacked off 4' of the log and proceeded to saw without incident.

Me hates 10/4 lumber, heavy!!!

Oh well, next job is sawing 20' - 6 X 6 white oak posts.  Wonder if they will be heavy? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

VB, your projects with the wood look very good. I don't know anything about this type of wood and last year I was approached by some wackodoodle that was planning on growing hundreds of acres of this wood for the furniture market. I talked with him quite a bit noting that he was looking to irrigate in the desert near me on some of the most expensive land per acre in CA. The whole thing sounded pretty weird to me and I was honest with him about what it would take to cut, transport to me and for me to develop containers of the stuff. We parted ways in short order.
Again, you are niche projects look pretty darn good.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

VB-Milling

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 12, 2021, 01:02:47 PM
VB, your projects with the wood look very good. I don't know anything about this type of wood and last year I was approached by some wackodoodle that was planning on growing hundreds of acres of this wood for the furniture market. I talked with him quite a bit noting that he was looking to irrigate in the desert near me on some of the most expensive land per acre in CA. The whole thing sounded pretty weird to me and I was honest with him about what it would take to cut, transport to me and for me to develop containers of the stuff. We parted ways in short order.
Again, you are niche projects look pretty darn good.
Thank you for the kind words.
Seems to have been some people's strategy in my neck of the woods as well.  My area is too suburban, but a couple hundred miles west of me, its rampant.
The neighbor I get it from planted quite a bit of acreage in the late 90s for export and missed the proverbial boat from my understanding.  Now he just trailers a few logs back for me every time he visits his property, so one could say I have an endless supply.
HM126

Patrick NC

Sawed some white oak trailer decking this afternoon. 

6/4x8x16'. Tough to handle when you're working by yourself, but pays pretty good so it's worth it. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Southside

@tule peak timber was that the guy who claims to run all over the place planting the stuff?  Tries to convince landowners they will make a fortune?  

FWIW I put some into an accent wall last year for a customer and it came out quite flat and nice.  I was shocked as the log was 7 years old and 12" in diameter.  I did put the lumber on the bottom of the stack so that helped.  You could tell which wood it was after the kiln for sure!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

Paulownia was a bit of a plantation fad around here a few years back, super fast growing yada yada yada.

Light, white, reasonably rot resistant... great for shutters and the like and used here as an alternative to Western Red Cedar (WRC is imported obviously) Termites love the stuff so it's not much good in ground contact though.

Mostly though we exported it to Japan. It's quite popular there, though demand comes and goes subject to fashion and exchange rates.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Wattwood

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 12, 2021, 07:13:36 AM

VB,I'm curious as to what you will be using this wood for ?What experience have you had with Paulownia?Nice looking wood.

While a landscape architecture student at WVU in the 80's, I was lucky to be able to spend two summers in the New River Gorge in southern WV inventorying historic coal mining features in the area that has become the national park and preserve. It was really remote then and we would hike the benches along the gorge for hours and were amazed when we would come across these four wheeler paths that looked like they were cut through a jungle. They always lead to a paulownia stump. The trees were planted as part of mine reclamation. We were told at the time that the locals were getting crazy money for it because it was being exported for use as a ceremonial wedding bowl. 
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

WV Sawmiller

My son studied forestry at Glenville State WV and at the time he was there he said the Paulonia (Japanese Princess Tree/Butterfly tree, etc) was the most valuable wood in the state. I have sawed a little and it saws like butter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

VB-Milling

Quote from: Patrick NC on May 12, 2021, 08:41:06 PM
Sawed some white oak trailer decking this afternoon.
This seems like a good way to produce some useful "first" boards on my new mill if I can find some 10ft white oak logs...guess I have 4 months to track some down.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!