iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small kiln for project-sized sterilization: ideas?

Started by tpcolson, January 18, 2021, 09:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpcolson

I have a pretty big stack of reclaimed barnwood: beautiful-figured old-growth oak. Looking to set up a small sterilization-type kiln to kill the bugs that most assuredly live in it now before I use it in variou project (picture frames, boxes, small furniture). My thoughts are a 6 foot long, 3 foot wide, 4 foot tall box on caster wheels that I can wheel in and out of my shop, insulated with rockwool, the top hinges open, and a few rows of oven racks to put the wood on, and halogen heat lamps at either end. My only goal here is to achieve 135 degrees internal temp for the required time. Most of the wood is one inch. I only want something sized to sterilize the wood for the project at hand...a few BF at a time, really don't have the space for a large permanent structure. I assume some vented is needed, but will venting prevent me from getting 150 inside the box? 

doc henderson

if the wood is wet, it will need to be stickered and strapped or weighted inside the kiln or heat treating box.  I use a military surplus hospital fluid and blanket warmer that goes to 160.  you need insulation and a container that will tolerate that temp and humidity.  you could make it simple out of foam sheets, put together with screws and foam safe glue.  or just screws and take it apart when not in use.  fans and a safe heat source
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

For some ideas this may be a good thread to look at:
Hot Box in Drying and Processing (forestryforum.com)

Caveman built a nice unit.  If the link does not work use the search feature and search 'Hot Box'.  It is a good informative read.

Thank You Sponsors!