iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I gave blood!

Started by doc henderson, March 05, 2021, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

thought we could suggest or facilitate our great members donating blood.  let us know when you give, or feel free to ask questions.  a side benefit, is you will find out if you have covid antibodies.  and now if you use the app, you will bet info on what you blood was used for.  

Schedule Your Blood Donation With The Red Cross
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

I haven't given blood in many years. When I last gave I was up to 3 gallons. That was back in the 80's I believe. I have been thinking about giving again but there is no place close by to do so. The link you posted gave a location right here at home mid March. I'm signed up. Thanks for the link.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

And here I thought this was going to be a post involving a sawmill "incident". :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Seems the only blood drives around here are not until april
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

My wife is a phlebotomist and just started working for a blood collection company.  Covid has put collection numbers critically low.  I didnt know this but apparently your donation record offsets your cost if you ever need future transfusion.  She rattles off the stats on what your donation can do and it really is impressive how many can be saved by your contribution.  

I gave a lot at smith and wesson and then started giving platelets for a few years.. Until i dated one of the girls there and she was a psycho i didnt care to see again! Back then it was a needle in each arm for 2 hours and no scratching your itchy face.  Wife says theyve got it down to a one arm system now.  Ive got to go again soon.
Praise The Lord

GAB

My blood donations are usually when I sign my work.
No appointment needed, just a lack of foresight and thought.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ed_K

Rita goes to Vt about 9 miles to give blood if in Ma she would have to go to Springfield 50 mi. She started when they told her she could give in my name for if I needed some because of the cancer. I sometimes feel bad she's doing it for me, but she is the bestest.
Ed K

sawguy21

I tend to give blood when I am not paying attention but that's another  story.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Good you started this, it will shame me into starting donating again, just need to check if atorvastatin, or lisinopril is a problem. I know I was up to several gallons a few years back and then just stopped for no good reason.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mike_belben

Quote from: Ed_K on March 06, 2021, 09:55:40 AMbut she is the bestest.
I wish i figured out sooner that a good spouse truly makes a man rich.  
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

Whole blood you can donate once every 8 weeks.  Did you know that it takes between 4 and 6 whole blood donations to make one unit of platelets?  Platelets are what stop you from bleeding out.  Its used for surgeries and for some cancer patients.  So, a unit of platelets can expose a recipient to potential issues with the 4 to 6 donations it took to produce.  Also, platelets only have a shelf live of 5 days.

The alternative is to give platelets directly.  I give platelets every 2 weeks, as does my 16 year old son.  They take 3 units of platelets from me and 2 or 3 from my son.  They will also take a unit of plasma most of the time.  My donation is reducing the potential exposure of a recipient by a factor of up to 18 (if all 3 units are used)!  It does take a while for me - about 2½ hours door to door.  They draw a little faster from my son - usually under 2 hours.  There is one guy that can get it done in 45 minutes!

I donate with Vitalant (formally Blood Source).  The staff is great and I get to watch a DVD while in process.  My only complaint is a new law went into effect at the first of the year so they no longer serve pre-wrapped cheese snacks.  They would have to have trained/certified food handlers (rather than the volunteers) to hand out the sealed packets that would have to be stored in a certified food storage unit (refrigerator).

To date, I've made 360 donations over the last 8 years since I retired.  They don't total those into gallons anymore.  They were counting a platelet donation as 2 donations - so that would put me at 45 gallons.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Walnut Beast

That's pretty awesome 👍

peakbagger

Sad to say in my neck of the woods, the red cross just gave up with blood drives. Long ago when the territories got broken up in NH, the Red Cross decided Coos County NH (northern most county in NH) is part of VT. With Covid, the VT red cross just stopped coming across the border. They used to fill out a pretty steady supply when they ran the drives locally. I used to try to give consistently if i could find a drive which was not on Friday as its quite noticeable climbing mountains the day after giving blood. 

When I go on the website it sees my local address is NH and defaults to the Red Cross in NH and tells me there are no nearby drives. The closest option are usually mid week drives an hour plus away. I have been burned a couple of times with their reservation system on the small town drives. Either the slot I reserved is not open when I get there or the local drive was postponed due to some local issue. What started out a voluntary effort turns into a entire morning or afternoon.

mike_belben

John that is incredibly noble of you.. Wow.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

my wife gives every 2 months, with her friend Barb.  they make an afternoon of it, going to lunch after.  Plasmapheresis is great and we give what is called a pheresis pack of platelets.  a big deal back in the HIV early days to reduce the risk.  of all blood products are tested.  very sad to have a cancer kid or someone with a coagulopathy get HIV or Hepatitis.  blood is considered an organ, so it is like donating an organ.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jtmccallum

I just got home from giving platelets.  Versiti, formerly MI Blood is 30 minutes away. I try to give about every 3 weeks.  They can't do mobile blood drives now but schools etc. can organize drives and have donors go to one of there centers.  You should be able to look online for medical deferral lists and allowable conditions etc.  If not,  your local center can answer any questions.  I didn't start donating until I was about 50.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

LeeB

Went and got harpooned today. Even got a tee shirt for my efforts.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

firefighter ontheside

I will do it once I get enough time.  My 10 year old son is only in school 2 days a week because he is going to a special new school.  The other 3 days a week he is home with me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: LeeB on March 16, 2021, 07:12:25 PMEven got a tee shirt for my efforts.
My old Blood Source would occasionally give out tee shirts that were once sold on their rewards site.  When ever they "messed up" on me, they'd give me a new shirt.  I probably have 20-25 different tees now - not that they mess up that often.  I guess I have a high threshold for pain.  In the "old days" they would cover my arm with a drape to keep it warm.  They'd peek under every now and then.  So one time they peek and look at me and say, you ok?  I say sure and they say they have to stop the donation.  I had a leak in the stick under my skin so I got a golf ball sized hematoma and didn't feel a thing.  So I said, want to stick the other side since I'm already here?  So they did and gave me a shirt.  The blood reabsorbed pretty quickly and I only got a minor bruise. 

Another time, I just got stuck and they do the blood vial fill thing.  They use a heat crimp to seal a little bag off and then fill the test vials.  The next donor over just hit end of cycle and played a chime on the machine.  So my phlebotomist went into autopilot - crimped my lines. ::)  She then had a Dooh moment.  Rather than pull the needle, they did a line splice to a new kit (they have a special machine for just such a screw-up).  They gave me a shirt.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Got the t-shirt before they ever stuck, which was a really good stick. Couple of minor typos from the girl taking my info but other than that, no problems.

Andries

Didn't mean to, but I gave blood yesterday too!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

jb616

I am currently up to 6 gallons. I was not able to give for years because of melanoma surgery but once they lifted it I have given every 2 months. 

brianJ

Got my procrastinating self an appointment tomorrow @3 in the afternoon. 
  I do once or twice during my slow time in the winter these last several years.     Also have done platelets a few times.    That is an experience everyone should have.

GAB

Quote from: Andries on March 17, 2021, 11:11:39 AM
Didn't mean to, but I gave blood yesterday too!

Andries:
If you had given willingly the pain might have been less.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!