iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Species List

Started by EPops, March 25, 2021, 03:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EPops

Hey everyone.  Does anyone know if a list exists that evaluates many wood species for their use in timber framing?

It would be great to have such a reference when one has multiple species of trees on their land, and want to evaluate which tree to use for each member of a frame.

For example, the list could give like 20-40 species of tree.  Probably the most common.  Could even lump similar species together.

For each species, it would be cool to have something like:

• general description (just talking about the various features and unique things about the tree, like color, smell, sizes, bark, etc.)
  • geographical range
  • how often its used in timber framing
  • types of member it can be used for (post, beam, plate, rafter, brace, peg, etc.)
  • why it can be used for those members
  • outdoor/indoor applicability (resistance to rot, weather, elements, etc.)
  • actual physical properties (hardness, shrinkage, shear/bending/other strengths, etc.)
  • ... and any other applicable characteristic for timber framing

There's many good posts about using this or that species, but I cannot find a consolidated overview for many species at once.  Maybe its out there somewhere but I haven't been able to find one.  That would come in handy when evaluating trees on a lot or planning which ones to order for a frame.

Don P

Right hand sidebar on Eric Morley's blog has some good articles;
What's New Archives | Carolina Timberworks

For mechanical properties the supplement to the NDS at awc.org has allowable design properties for many typical heavy timber species.

The Wood Handbook at the USFPL has short descriptions and typical uses for a great many species. Note, do not use the mechanical properties published there as engineering properties. Those are ultimate strengths of small perfect samples.

EPops

Quote from: Don P on March 25, 2021, 05:23:29 PM
Right hand sidebar on Eric Morley's blog has some good articles;
What's New Archives | Carolina Timberworks

For mechanical properties the supplement to the NDS at awc.org has allowable design properties for many typical heavy timber species.

The Wood Handbook at the USFPL has short descriptions and typical uses for a great many species. Note, do not use the mechanical properties published there as engineering properties. Those are ultimate strengths of small perfect samples.
Cool, I'll have to check out the Wood Handbook for a good overview.

Brad_bb

Please put your location or at least your state(assuming you're in the USA) in your profile and it will show up on your posts.  That way we know what trees are available to you in your area.  Most hardwoods can be used.  Softwoods like pine, Tamarack, and dour fir can be used as well.  Often hardwood will be used for braces where softwood is being used for the rest, but softwood can be used of sized appropriately.  Woods to avoid- Eastern Cottonwood(though It's probably been used to some extent), gum, red pine(some can be brittle in my experience, but not sure all that are called red pine are same).  Tulip poplar has been used for top plates, but consider carefully before trying to use as a tie beam.  Just my opinions.

Things you need to consider besides mechanical strength are rot resistance, bugs-will bugs attack in how you are using it etc., looks are important too.  But the biggest thing to consider is the quality/grade of a timber for a given location in the frame.  There is good info on visual grading in Steve Chappell's book "A Timberframer's Workshop" along with a lot of other great info.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!