iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PPB Sterilization

Started by Stephen1, May 04, 2021, 11:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I have a customer that has 500 bd ft of reclaimed hardwood from a house built in the 1830's
The house was knocked down 40 years ago and the wood stored for 35 years outside under a tarp.
The wood was then put in a shed by this customer. He pulled some wood out to build something and discovered evidence of PPB. Not sure which type. 
He wants me to KD and of course Sterilize it. 
Easy enough in the IDRY as my temps go to 160F.
I have told him he will have to deliver the wood on the day of a kiln change over as I will not store his wood prior to or after KD. He will pay X$ per day , from 4-7 days as I think it will be a least 2-3 days to get the kiln above 135F and I would want it there for at least 2 days. He only wants to bring 500 bd ft and he will pay as if its a full load. 
any thoughts would be appreciated. 
I am not 100% sure I want to even do this job and that is why I am reaching out for some thoughts. I spend a lot of effort to ensure I do not have BUGS in my shop or in my storage yard location. 
Stephen1
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nebraska

Would it be worthwhile to have the customer soak the wood with solubor before it gets to your place?.... It would just be a surface treatment and  it should kill any emergence at your facility until you can pasteurize  the wood. Might be overkill but it would give you peace of mind.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Remember that any pallets, 4x4s, stickers, etc. that do not go through the sterilization can 8nfect or reinfect KD wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Stephen1

I have told the customer to take his wood and burn it. I do not really want a known infestation at my location. The money is not worth it. I am busy enough.
I do run all my stickers and blocking through the kiln on a regular basis
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!