The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: New Draconian law hurts small mills  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
New Draconian law hurts small mills
« on: May 05, 2021, 05:14:04 AM »
New laws here in N.B. Canada that our Premiere (governor)secretly introduce in January and just came out to the public lately regarding non stamped lumber,.. up until January is was legal to cut your own lumber to build a camp/cottage up to 600 square feet,.. it has now changed to 215 square feet,..Our Premier is a former IRVING (who controls our forest and Government) employee and still seems to be controlled by them.  
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: New Draconian law hurts small mills
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:30:56 AM »
That's seems to be regional, we are still at 625 square feet up here, where the bulk of farm production happens. But in the St Stephen region it's now 215 square feet.

Building Development Services ? WVRSC ? Western Valley Regional Service Commission
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:58:49 AM »
That sounds like an alignment with our codes. Basically allowing uninspected accessory buildings by exemption but not exempting any habitable use.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
The last I heard for New York State, A sawyer can certify his own lumber by signing a letter, indicating the lumber meets or exceeds the stds for stamped lumber #2 or better. You can then use it for construction of most structures, including houses.
In most cases, as I've sawn, anything that's even questionable is thrown in the slab pile. If stamped lumber like what the big box stores carry is the minimum, I'll not  use anything as poor as that.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, woodland Mills HM130Max (on order), maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »
You can use your own sawed lumber for dwellings here if you get the lumber passed by an engineer or visually graded by a grader. You have to have paperwork, and signatures, not just your word.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 12:48:11 PM »
That's right about New York. The sawyer has to sell it to the job direct and the building inspector has to allow it. Not allowed in public or buildings or over 3 stories. I think certain ag. buildings are exempt even from this. 

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:43:29 PM »
That's pretty much how I heard it, I never read the law. I just confirmed it with the local codes officer and he confirmed it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, woodland Mills HM130Max (on order), maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
I just confirmed it with the local codes officer and he confirmed it.
Right there is the problem.....Code Enforcement Officer.  We have state building codes in Arkansas and Missouri but they have to be enforced by the county which is local government.  Most of the rural counties do not have the extra funds for a Code Enforcement Officer.  Even if they have the funds most don't want one.  That means no building permits (sometimes a building permit so they know when to send out the tax assessor), no inspections, and no problems.

Build here with toothpicks if ya want.  Insurance companies don't care.  Loan companies will send out an inspector, but all they look at is if the building is pretty and completed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 05:12:54 AM »
They've backed off on the new regs last week, we are back to 625 sq foot space now.

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 07:17:42 AM »
@SwampDonkey  My nephew told me that last night and was hoping for more info... BOOM good news tks for update.
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline Vautour

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 07:51:24 PM »
Just heard tonight that they backed off only until December... and it goes to 215 sq feet in Jan... 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 08:28:31 PM »
You have a very narrow window to light up your neighbors and the media and convince the elected representatives of the nature of their positions.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 05:19:39 AM »
They've backed off on the new regs last week, we are back to 625 sq foot space now.
Its 215 in Nova Scotia, well with the cost of living rising drastically and the many people now living in camper trailers and tiny homes now maybe we the people can push back at these ridiculous by laws. Like I say cant do nothing these days without everyone trying to dip their hands in your pockets. The government just oughta LEAVE THE PEOPLE ALONE TO DO WHAT THEY ARE TO DO ON THEIR OWN LAND, stop being a nanny state, I can understand if youre in the middle of a town or whatever, but these rules are EVERYWHERE. You cant legally off grid in Nova Scotia, literally force you to play into consumerism.
Nothing worth having comes without a fight, gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight

Offline SPDM

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »
Wholeheartedly agree, the gov should butt out of people personal lives. However, you can definitely build an off grid home in Nova Scotia (maybe not in the middle of downtown Halifax). Whether you are able to obtain a mortgage or insure your off grid house is a different ball game.

Offline Upstatewoodchuc

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
I definitely relate to this post, I live in NY and the laws make it basically illegal to build an old style timber frame because most of anything you would use is upgraded. Doesnt mean it doesn't happen though....
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 05:00:05 AM »

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 05:15:09 AM »
Yes, end of the year and we're in the new regs.

Province reinstates lumber exemption for small outbuildings, camps and barns | CBC News
Good for you fellas. Only a matter of
Time here, 215 sq ft?!
Nothing worth having comes without a fight, gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 05:21:00 AM »
The new 215 sq foot regs, not the old regs.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »

Please excuse me for shaking my head.  I sawed some of the straightest/truest/no knot, Longleaf Pine framing lumber this week that has ever come off of a sawmill bed.  Shown above; 2X8's on the left and 2X6's on the right.  It will be air dried and it will all be used for framing in new homes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Please excuse me for shaking my head.  I sawed some of the straightest/truest/no knot, Longleaf Pine framing lumber this week that has ever come off of a sawmill bed.  Shown above; 2X8's on the left and 2X6's on the right.  It will be air dried and it will all be used for framing in new homes.
Our fore fathers would be in total disbelief/shock/rage, Im sure for both our countrys, they worked hard to build the new world, now you cant even harvest sticks off your own land and make a shack to sleep in on many places. Along with many other regulations.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Small diesels for small mills

Started by boatman on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 11:15:17 AM
by ladylake
xx
Small Mills

Started by woodman58 on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 02:01:18 PM
by Tom