iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easy Sawmill Repair

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 07, 2021, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Earlier this week I pulled the cover off my mill and found the plastic fuel line connection was broken. Evidently it had rotated 90 degrees and gotten hung in and broken when I removed the cover.

Here is the connection at the tank with the broken piece still stuck in the  metal block.

Here is the broken piece still connected to the fuel line and the new replacement.

I picked up my new part today off the FedEx truck - I saw it parked at our local pharmacy and while my wife went inside I talked to the driver and she confirmed it was on the truck and got it for me and saved her a trip up the mountain.

To remove the broken piece I found an EZ out the right size and tapped it lightly into the open of the broken part and with a 3/8" end wrench it readily backed out. I thought about just hooking the EZ out to my cordless drill but felt this gave me better control.

EZ out started in the broken piece.  

EZ out with broken piece and end wrench.

Once the broken piece was removed I threaded the new fitting into the metal block on the tank and snugged it up with a 5/8" end wrench.

I removed and disposed of the broken coupling, re-connected the male end into the new female fitting and rotated the block back to the original location.

I wish all sawmill maintenance was this easy. BTW - while waiting for the part I was able to run the mill by simply opening the fuel cap and inserting the end of the line under the fuel surface but this is much easier and cleaner.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

Can you find a way to immobilize the plastic fitting? It looks like it is easy to break if the gas line is moved quickly or jerked. Nice repair job on your part.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dan_Shade

I replaced mine with small hydraulic disconnects. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

I was looking at a way to strengthen it and there are no doubt plenty of ways to do that. Taping a small block under it would help. Once before I broke it but it seems like it was the other section. I am sure you could replace it with the fittings on an outboard motor tank and could even add a pump up bulb but I am not sure that would improve anything as it is a simple system. I am sure you could run a permanent hose and just leave the tank in place and fill it there but it is convenient to remove, fill and replace. When I do mobile overnight jobs I take the tank off at the end of the day and fill it on the way home or back to the site at the filling station.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

You mean nothing rolled over, fell off, or otherwise tried to kill you during this repair session?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Arcticmiller

Depending on the thread size of that block on the fuel tank, I'd think about putting a Honda style marine quick connect fitting on it. They are simple, seal well and are metal. Kinda look like an airline connector for a compressor hose. Just my 2 cents. 

Thank You Sponsors!