iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow pine drying and sterilization

Started by forrestM, May 24, 2021, 08:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Quote from: forrestM on June 21, 2021, 06:36:39 PMAlso, for a house with wood heat, and minimal air conditioning, what should my final mc be for Virginia? My plan was to take it down to final mc, remove from the kiln, straighten to 5 1/2 inches, and take to my friend for tongue and groove and then install.

If your heating with a woodstove 24/7 I would be concerned about the significant cracks that will develop in 5 1/2" wide strips.  With minimal AC I can see the MC going from 9+ summer to 6 late winter.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There is basically only one insect that gets into DRY pine...the old house borer...and it does not cause extensive damage and seldom is able to reproduce.  All other insects need wetter wood.  This is for the US and Canada.  Of course, we get the carpenter bees, but sterilization is not a solution...same with termites.

Now, if we have ambrosia beetles and the wood is used in a wetter location, even with sterilization, insects can be expected.  This is why we use pressure treatment in wet locations and for ground contact.  Borates can be used when water will not leach out the chemical.  Getting borate deep into the wood can be an issue.in other words, borate treatment is often a multi day procedure.  Plus retrying after treatment may be necessary.

Bottom line is that sterilization for softwoods is not effective for protection of the wood used in wet locations.  Chemical methods, usually PROPER pressure treatment, will provide thirty years of protection or more.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

I use heat as a means to routinely kill anything that has taken up homesteading in my air dried wood stacks and pallets. 

As Gene mentions, carpenter bees are very bad here until late summer, and they will bore into anything they can, even old pressure treated wood.  I have 8 traps hanging around my barn and they fill up. 

The bottom of my kiln is littered with all kinds of after air drying creepy crawlies, and includes hundreds of carpenter bees hidden in the wood and pallets, scorpions, mud dobbers, wasps of several species, hornets, black widows, mice, snakes, etc.

There is nothing worse than unstacking a pile of air dried stickered wood and having a scorpion crawl out and land on your foot, or bunch of hornets come boiling out at you.  So I heat sterilize everything, not matter what is is, take it out of the kiln, dead stack it immediately, and put it in stasis in the main building.

Setting the pitch in pine serves the same purpose.  It also simplifies the questions I get asked all the time from "green minded" customers.

Question #1:  "Is it kiln dried?"  Me: "Yes"
Question #2:  "Have any chemicals of any kind touched the wood? Has it been sprayed or treated?"    Me: "No"
Question #3:  "Has is been sterilized?  Is everything dead in it?"    Me: "Yes"
Question #4:  "How much does it cost?"  Me: "Not too much, let's load you up." :D     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 04, 2021, 10:30:48 AM"How much does it cost?"  Me: "Not too much, let's load you up." :D    
Surely you don't expect me to believe that.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on September 04, 2021, 10:54:11 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on September 04, 2021, 10:30:48 AM"How much does it cost?"  Me: "Not too much, let's load you up." :D    
Surely you don't expect me to believe that.  

No, but all I need is for THEM to believe it!! :D :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

forrestM

@GeneWengert-WoodDoc 

Just to clarify, sterilization will kill active insects - including termites. It just isn't necessary for dry pine, and won't prevent further infestation from the pine borer you mentioned, termites in wet locations, or carpenter bees. 

Thanks!

Crossroads

Sorry I can't add anything to this topic, but I sure appreciate the information being shared. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

forrestM

here's how it turned out! the yellow pine is on the floor, 5" x 3/4" tongue and groove. the walls are white pine with a shiplap. The floor has a water-based polyurethane on it. 

everything was between 9-10 percent MC when machined and installed. So far, it looks good. 

....using leftover flooring material for my window trim and base trim. 

thank you!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Walnut Beast

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

E-Tex

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!