iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starrett blades

Started by Patrick NC, May 24, 2021, 08:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Anyone ever try this brand of blade? I sent some of my regular blades to a local sharpening shop and they welded 2 blades for me to try. 1.25x 0.042 8°. I haven't tried them yet. Never heard of Starrett before. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

sawguy21

Interesting. Starrett is a well known manufacturer of high end precision tools, their blades should be of comparable quality.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

D6c

They've made metal cutting band blades and hacksaw blades for many years.... didn't know they made blades for wood.

btulloh

Interesting. Looking forward to the report. Like sawguy said, starrett makes top notch measuring tools. Curious to see how they do with blades.  If your local shop is buying bulk stock and welding them it could be a good source for your blades, and it sounds like they're a serious grinding an sharpening outfit. Nice to have someone like that local. 
HM126

Patrick NC

I'll probably get a chance to try them on some SYP and cedar this weekend. I'll let y'all know how they do. This is the first time I've tried this sharpening shop. I've heard good things about them. They also have a route truck that comes to my area once a week, so if everything works out good,  I can get on the list and they will pick up and drop off for me. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

scsmith42

Starrett makes excellent blades. I've used their Trimaster series on my resaw and they are very accurate.

Their metal working blades at top quality.

Years ago I tried their band sawmill blades and had no complaints.

Are you using Smith Sawmill Service, formerly Precision, or someone different?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Patrick NC

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 25, 2021, 05:30:25 AM
Starrett makes excellent blades. I've used their Trimaster series on my resaw and they are very accurate.

Their metal working blades at top quality.

Years ago I tried their band sawmill blades and had no complaints.

Are you using Smith Sawmill Service, formerly Precision, or someone different?
I'm using Union Grove Saw and Knife. They are about 15 minutes north of Statesville off i77. 

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Patrick NC

I got a chance to saw about 250 bf of SYP and 100 bf of cedar today. They seem to cut very straight and smooth although not quite as fast as the 7° Kasco blades I normally use. They build up with pitch pretty fast if you don't flood them with lube. Only on top of the blade. The bottom stays clean. They are wide compared to other 1 1/4 " blades. These measure 1 3/8 from tip of the tooth to back of blade. Compared to Kasco and woodmizer that both measure exactly 1.25. I'll probably order more to give them a longer-term test. 

moodnacreek

With there metal cutting bands I had no luck. I buy these for a hand held bandsaw in bulk and choseing a brand is tricky.

Thank You Sponsors!