iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I pull engine hours

Started by Husky546, June 07, 2021, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husky546

Looking at upgrading from my dinosaur of a Mack to a more modern Ford. I recently found a 95 l8000 with a 5.9 for sale for what seems like a reasonable price. Odometer shows about 50k on the truck but the owner claims it dosent actually have an hour gauge. I have never owned anything this new but maybe new trucks don't have a gauge anymore.

Regardless the odometer only tells part of the story and I'm hesitant to buy anything I don't know actual running hours on.

I have heard these trucks should still store hour data on the computer but I have no idea how to retrieve it. Can anyone lend some advice

Southside

A '95 5.9 is a mechanical engine - no computer.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Contact blackstone labs for an oil analysis kit.   Oil will tell you more than any meter.

6bt is my favorite engine, but it is small for an L8000 unless its just a light duty hauler or service truck or something.  If it was an original industrial engine and not a dodge swap youre only gonna have a 165hp pump on there ill reckon.  Pull the CPL off the timing cover data plate and the part numbers off the pump, tag will start with P7100 or P3000 or maybe even "A" and thatll tell you what they are.
Praise The Lord

barbender

I used to run a Ford F7000 that had a 5.9 industrial that was 195hp iirc. It had good power in that, but an 8000 (is it single or tandem axle) is pushing it. Not nearly enough engine for a tandem.
Too many irons in the fire

dgdrls

Factory Build with the 5.9??

Tell us about that Old Mack :)

D

Thank You Sponsors!