The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 76 674 international  (Read 1087 times)

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: 76 674 international
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 08:39:44 PM »
Standard plumbing.  National pipe thread.  Unless its on the exhaust side i suggest you use sched 80 or higher. Sch 40 pressure rating isnt terribly high.

The bottom is probably a male SAE O ring to NPT female adapter.
Proverbs 19:11

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
Looking to change the hydraulic fluid. I cant find a service manual. Is this the drain plug for the hydraulic? And I understand this uses hy-trans fluid? I assume the power steering is powered by that too? Thanks anyone who can help .
Not the drain plug. The fill plug for the entire hydraulic system is the pipe plug in the picture. If you want to drain the entire system you will have to drain all the case drains on the bottom of every case except the engine of course. Yes the hydraulic oil used is Hy Tran and you can check hydraulic oil level with the dipstick along the main case right by where you feet are placed while sitting on the seat.
I would assume you have the D-179 engine which is a 3 cylinder engine. IH did also make a 4 cylinder diesel engine that also fits in that frame so I'm not sure which diesel engine you have. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Looking to change the hydraulic fluid. I cant find a service manual. Is this the drain plug for the hydraulic? And I understand this uses hy-trans fluid? I assume the power steering is powered by that too? Thanks anyone who can help .
Not the drain plug. The fill plug for the entire hydraulic system is the pipe plug in the picture. If you want to drain the entire system you will have to drain all the case drains on the bottom of every case except the engine of course. Yes the hydraulic oil used is Hy Tran and you can check hydraulic oil level with the dipstick along the main case right by where you feet are placed while sitting on the seat.
I would assume you have the D-179 engine which is a 3 cylinder engine. IH did also make a 4 cylinder diesel engine that also fits in that frame so I'm not sure which diesel engine you have.
Is there a specific brand or grade I should use or do I just go to a tractor supply store and say I need hy trans oil ? Yes I was aware of the dipstick and fill location, Ive been checking it before working it as its been leaking. Im reading this takes around 9 gallons of hy trans. I suppose Ill be needing to make a round trip to the tractor store. Im not even sure which engine oil it would take, rotella t4?

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
Be better to go to NAPA than TSC for your hydraulic oil.  And the Rotella will work for engine oil, or just ask the guys at NAPA. Be sure to change your hydraulic filter.  There is a filter on the engine for coolant, change that as well, helps to protect your engine from electralysis.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2021, 01:23:34 PM »
I need a couple hydraulic hoses too Im thinking so Ill half to call if Napa sells those Im not even sure. A few the rubber is sun baked and cracked although not leaking, I still wanna get anything that might need fixing in the near future, fixed. There is also a loader arm pin I need as someone has just used a grade 8 5/8 bolt on one side. It appears all the pivot points have not been greased in god knows how long. The bucket is rusting through just before the edge so I may need to cut some of the bucket out and replace or just have it shorter since massive anyway. The insert at one of the bucket cylinders is leaking too and it appears someone put some kind of silicone sealant on the threads because they were battling leaking, I hope the cylinder doesnt need replacing. Also another leak close but its a fitting so I think that isnt a big deal, a leak from the power steering too, hopefully hose or fitting related and not seal.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
Welcome to the old iron club. 

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2021, 06:41:18 PM »
I need more

Offline Thomasjw4

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
I feel your pain on the old IH's.  I rebuilt a 384 this winter and am still tracking down fuel issues.  

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
I just said to my son today... When something breaks literally every single day that you get out of bed, youve got enough equipment. 

Offline DbltreeBelgians

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Like others said the drain plugs are on the bottom of the gearboxes. The square pipe plug in the upper left corner of your picture is the hydraulic fill. Like Gary C said the dipstick should be behind your left heal along side the gearbox and the left running board. What youre finger is on in the picture should look like a brake bleeder and that is exactly what it is. Each side has one for each brake. I have a 574 gas with Dunham loader. Been a great tractor but the diesel would be much better. They had a D-239 4 cylinder in them. The power steering works off of the hydraulic system as do the brakes. There is a process for bleeding the brakes requiring you to pinch off a rubber return line in what they call the keep fill line. Not a bad job once youve done it a few times. Dont ask me how I know this. Dont ever forget to release the parking brake before driving away. It will burn and leave burnt particles in the hydraulic fluid and plug the hydraulic filter. Dont ask how I know this either. These tractor like clean Hy-Tran and filters.
More questions, just ask. Lots of knowledge base here on the forum and all willing to help.
Heres a pic of my 574.

Brent

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2021, 07:58:15 AM »
X 2 what Brent said, and don't try generic Hydraulic Fluid (don't ask.....). I have a Service Manual and will look up anything you need details for.
Steve
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Online HemlockKing

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
Thanks everyone, I’m feeling pretty confident about this as I got all this good help here. I have bought the service manual online and will be printing it for a binder, so I should be good on that aspect now, I have yet to even pick up a wrench yet but come this weekend or next week I’m gonna get er done. Just been swamped busy. Haven’t even started the tractor in the last 2 days.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
International s8

Started by 70amxguy on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2021, 05:20:08 PM
by bushmechanic
xx
International sa8

Started by loggerman1959 on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2015, 06:10:18 PM
by lynde37avery