The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Building my first solar kiln  (Read 1336 times)

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Building my first solar kiln
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »
One more thing to keep in mind - figure out where your fan board will be located and install blocking at that location.  It's important to block the space above so the air flow doesn't short circuit.  The only path for air flow between the hot side and the cold side should be through the lumber stack.  There'll be plenty of leaks around the ends of stacks because it's hard to seal them perfectly, but the better the seal, the more efficient the air flow through the stack.  Leaks all the air to go around the stack instead of through it.

It's easy to miss this detail, and some of us (me for instance) had to block the gap above the fan board after we were essentially finished, and this was more fiddly than doing it initially.  

HM126

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
I believe the dimensional detail you're looking for is one of the docs I attached.  I do believe the width is exactly 48".  It's not essential that the edges meet exactly in the middle of the rafter.  fasteners are not used there, except on the outside edges.
HM126

Offline etd66ss

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
I believe the dimensional detail you're looking for is one of the docs I attached.  I do believe the width is exactly 48".  It's not essential that the edges meet exactly in the middle of the rafter.  fasteners are not used there, except on the outside edges.
https://www.interstateplastics.com/Polycarbonate-Clear-Extruded-Divide-H-Channel-202-Profile-POLCEXD00315x14400.php

I guess what I am getting at is the H-Profile has a center extrusion, of unknown width because that detail drawing doesn't show the dimension. One or two rafters over and you no longer have a rafter to screw into if the panels are 48" actual...
I'm going to go to my local Lowes & Home Depot and see if I can measure what they have.  

I'll have to order all the glazing before I start framing.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
Having the glazing on hand will increase the comfort level for sure. 

I have no fasteners installed at junction of the sheets and h strip per the recommended pattern, so the rafters dont have to fall exactly at the seems (although mine do). I did a lot of over-analysis before hand that proved to be unnecessary, but unavoidable in my case. My nature. I think scsmith said something about that, like dont sweat the details. For me thats easier said than done, but next time  I build one Ill be a bit more relaxed. Your plan to get the glazing first should improve your comfort level. I think your kiln is going to turn out fine.  
HM126

Offline etd66ss

• Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
Having the glazing on hand will increase the comfort level for sure.

I have no fasteners installed at junction of the sheets and h strip per the recommended pattern, so the rafters dont have to fall exactly at the seems (although mine do). I did a lot of over-analysis before hand that proved to be unnecessary, but unavoidable in my case. My nature. I think scsmith said something about that, like dont sweat the details. For me thats easier said than done, but next time  I build one Ill be a bit more relaxed. Your plan to get the glazing first should improve your comfort level. I think your kiln is going to turn out fine.  
I design everything in CAD before I cut anything, so always sweat the details. It's what I do for a living, hard to break the habit. I never start building and figure it out as I go, not in my nature.
These days, when designing mechanical systems, you can pretty much download 3D models of all the aftermarket parts used in a design (models can't always be trusted though). However, in the construction industry that's not always the case. Materials like this glazing are a crapshoot on whether or not you can actually find even 2D technical information needed to precisely model them in 3D. In some aspects, Architecture/Design seems a bit more "free" than Mechanical Engineering.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
Sounds like you and I have a similar nature. CAD design pays off and makes the actual building process a lot smoother and the results more predictable. 

Selecting fans became a big process for me, converting cfm air flow to fpm based on area and such. I had to analyze the effect of static pressure on cfm ratings to make me happy with my fan choices. Others just bought cheap box fans and installed them and seemed to do ok.  I found the current crop of cheap box fans to have blade designs that caused the cfm rating to drop to almost nothing when subjected to the static pressure in the kiln application. Maybe over analysis but my measured air flow throw the stacks can achieve the recommended fpm for the various species. I guess I dont like to just wing it, but ...  we all have our comfort zone. 
HM126

Offline etd66ss

• Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
Sounds like you and I have a similar nature. CAD design pays off and makes the actual building process a lot smoother and the results more predictable.

Selecting fans became a big process for me, converting cfm air flow to fpm based on area and such. I had to analyze the effect of static pressure on cfm ratings to make me happy with my fan choices. Others just bought cheap box fans and installed them and seemed to do ok.  I found the current crop of cheap box fans to have blade designs that caused the cfm rating to drop to almost nothing when subjected to the static pressure in the kiln application. Maybe over analysis but my measured air flow throw the stacks can achieve the recommended fpm for the various species. I guess I dont like to just wing it, but ...  we all have our comfort zone.
That was going to be the next thing I looked at, the CFM requirements.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
Any progress on the kiln plan?
HM126

Offline etd66ss

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2021, 07:06:22 PM »
Any progress on the kiln plan?
Yes, but I am spending more time outside these days than sitting in front of the PC designing. I have logged about 30 dead standing and fallen Norway Spruce. Bartering with my brother who has a circular mill, trading wood for his deck for his time to mill up what I need for the kiln.
Just finished the logging today actually, so hope to get everything sawn by the end of the month. Once I know what lumber I have I can tweak my design to suit.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pre-build solar kiln questions(Photos of kiln building progress)

Started by caveman on Drying and Processing

58 Replies
Last post April 17, 2016, 06:35:35 PM
by caveman
xx
Building a solar kiln

Started by Wes06 on Drying and Processing

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 04:23:23 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Building a solar kiln in FL