iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash tree of some kind?

Started by etd66ss, December 30, 2021, 08:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etd66ss

Is this an ash tree?

Also, came across a stand of trees with very spongy bark. 

kantuckid

I'll go with Hackberry. My native KS has em a lot and visuals say I'm correct. Ash is a no.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

stavebuyer

KEC

etd66ss

Thank you, after researching Hackberry certainly looks like it.

Any ideas on the second tree? I can't find any leaves. The bark is super soft, almost fungus-like.

stavebuyer

The 2nd looks like some type of Elm.

SwampDonkey

Hackberry and some kind of elm, the bark certainly looks like same group of trees. Both similar in nature, including asymmetrical leaf.  The elms grow like weeds on the woodlot, but die by pole stage.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 30, 2021, 11:50:42 AM
Hackberry or Sugarberry
stavebuyer-did you see the Lex-herald lead article on white oak? You'll learn nothing but not a common headline either. That newspapers favorite topic is the bourbon industry, other than politics and covid- it's obvious they make money from that booze source and article tells of the stave wood connection to a meager WO supply. Picture is in East Bernstadt, KY Was yesterday or day before.
I'll vote for Hackberry and pith elm. I've wondered why hackberries always have that leaf bug seen in the pic above?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

etd66ss

Could these elm trees be rock elm?

The small branches have corky ridges on them, I have read that is a feature of rock elm...

I made a video showing how spongy the bark is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRpVR7IT9s

Clark

I know two things about rock elm (Ulmus thomasii): 1. It does grow this far north and was much less common than American elm. 2. The only way I could ever identify it, since the mature trees were all dead by the time I made it into the woods, was by the corky nations on the twigs. Every year I would pick up a dozen or two in regen plots doing forest inventory.  

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Southside

As was said Hackberry, on the soft bark tree maybe @WDH can help.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Y'all got it right.  Yes to hackberry and elm.  Hackberry is in the Elm Family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etd66ss

Quote from: WDH on January 01, 2022, 08:29:42 AM
Y'all got it right.  Yes to hackberry and elm.  Hackberry is in the Elm Family.
Any idea what species of Elm specifically?

WDH

Is the leaf surface rough like sandpaper or smooth?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etd66ss

Quote from: WDH on January 01, 2022, 10:09:30 PM
Is the leaf surface rough like sandpaper or smooth?
Darn, didn't save any of the leaves and now there is snow on the ground. Will have to look into this at a later date.

WDH

Size of leaf indicates American elm or slippery elm, also known as red elm.   American elm leaf will be smooth on top, almost glossy.  Slippery elm leaf will be very rough (scabrous) like rubbing sandpaper. 

etd66ss

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2022, 10:57:31 AM
Size of leaf indicates American elm or slippery elm, also known as red elm.   American elm leaf will be smooth on top, almost glossy.  Slippery elm leaf will be very rough (scabrous) like rubbing sandpaper.
From memory, they were smooth. So I guess American Elm, which I suppose makes sense, they would be the most common in my area? The extreme softness of the bark is what threw me off, didn't think Elm was that cork-like...

bannerd

I was going to say butternut, but they typically have a column on the leaves.

Thank You Sponsors!