iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new member coming in from the sidelines

Started by Geoff, June 17, 2002, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hello everyone,

I've been watching from the sidelines for some time now, and thought I'd jump in and join.  Learned a lot from the ongoing discussions, and hopefully I can learn a little more.  We've got a sawmill & farm operation with about 700 acres of hardwood timberlands.  We do some horselogging here, and tend to the flock of goats (3 in total).

Thanks,

Geoff

Corley5

What kind of mill are you running?  Welcome aboard!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Geoff.  (as in Chaucer?)

700 acres. WOW!  You should be able to add a lot to the Forum.  Tell us about your sawmill operation.

WoodChucker

Are you AKA Ben Cartwright? lol.....Welcome aboard!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Paul_H

Welcome Geoff,
 I'm looking forward to pictures of your setup.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Geoff

Sorry, not Chaucer or Cartwright.  Just a guy with so much sawdust that it is even under the screen of my cellphone.  How it got in there, I have no idea.

As far as equipment, we have a WoodMizer LT40 and an edger.  I've set up the edger to run the hydraulic pump, and made my own turner, clamp etc.  Thinking about making my own remote operator station, but still in the planning stages.

Here's a few pictures I found laying around.

Geoff

Jeff

Welcome aboard Geoff. Yes Indeed great content on your website.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Geoff

Thanks for the compliments, and for touching up my pictures (whoever did it).

The website needs some updating.  We just finished the woodlot meeting last weekend, and it went very well.

Geoff

DanG

Welcome in, Geoff. That's quite an operation, you have. You'll be an asset to the forum. I'm glad you have decided to jump in here, and help educate others. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Eggsander

Welcome Geoff, looks like a great place!
Say, your "horse" that's skidding out some timber there sure has some awfully big, black shoes under it. :D
I look forward to hearing more from you, you've surely got a lot to add.
Steve

HORSELOGGER

Hi Geoff.  Is the belgian hooked to the front of the skidder? ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Geoff

Man, you folks are rough on the new guy!  Good thing I didn't post the picture of the neighbours team of Percherons pulling my tractor out of a snowbank a few years back.  The gal with the red bridle is Maggie.

I worked in the woods for a buddy last winter, running his skidder and every night would go home, give the horse a carrot and thank my lucky stars she doesn't use any diesel.

Norm

Nice place you have there Geoff, kind of reminds me of my place :)

CHARLIE

Hey Geoff, have you ever entered your horses in a Horse Pull?  Every July 4th Dover, Minnesota puts on a Horse Pull. It's fun to watch the teams work together and set into a pull. It seems Percherons and Belgiums are used the most. If those teams don't start pulling at the same time, they can't move the sled an inch. Otherwise they'll pull about 4 tons or so :o.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

Welcome to the Forum Geoff.  Your pictures illustrate a dedicated  sawmiller.   You have some nice looking "digs". ;)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!