iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Lumber Swingset

Started by SheetMetalWorke, June 06, 2022, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SheetMetalWorke

Hey Group!
Brand new, I'm a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker, but new to working with wood, atleast milled lumber.
My questions is how should I treat Green spruce lumber that I'm using to build a swingset?
Here are the details:
I'm building a swing set for my girls, and I bought some lumber from a small local mill. Best I can tell it's spruce, smells incredible. I've had it in my garage for about 2 weeks, a few cracks and checking, but not bad. I've sanded it with 60 grit so far.
Thanks!
I'm also an avid homebrewer, so I'm happy to provide any info on sheet metal work or home brew! I'm in Nova Scotia Canada if that has an impact.

kantuckid

A regional answer will serve you best on the frame itself for resistance to whatever.
 In my KY area termites would eat the Spruce base A-frames down low, unless it's going to sit on a deck of some type. Up there, maybe not. 
Otherwise, green lumber works fine as long as it's dry enough to machine it if desired. 
I built a swing A-frame from White Oak that was fairly green but stable. I lightly sanded it after band sawed on my mill with 180 grit, then finished the parts later after assembly using SS hardware.
 The wood "porch style" swing itself was built from 1 1/4" wide slats of 1" thick oak on a 2" thick oak frame. The swing frame parts were dry wood so as to allow a proper waterproof glue joint. Green wood is not proper for gluing but if the design relies on hardware alone, green wood works fine. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!