iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prayers needed

Started by charles mann, July 22, 2022, 12:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

Not sure how many of y'all were/still in the aviation industry. It was reported a civilian D model chinook firefighting helicopter went down today in the salmon, id area, working the moose fire, around 1630 pst today with a crew of 2 onboard.
With little info available and reports from the company and the USFS limited and vague, it could be gloomy clouds for the crew.

A friend and pilot work for the company of the downed acft and several of us that served with or employed with him, can not get him on the horn. Its going to voicemail, which is highly unusual for him.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

SwampDonkey

Doesn't sound good, but the remoteness of the site may also be a factor for communications. Never know, batteries might even be kapoot. Those firestorms can be like a war zone without the bullets. There are many brave souls out there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Yes, wait until the reports come back. I am still subscribed to the USFA and get the LODD announcements as they come out, usually take about 3 days or so. The last one I have concerning wildland operations is an incident on 7/16 with one career FF from Bernalillo county, NM who crashed with 3 sheriff's deputies on board after FF operations. We have lost 6 FF's so far this month and statistically, this is going to be a bad year.
 I am pulling for the best on this one. Don't count them out until it's over. Those guys are tough and you know the other crews in the area will pull out all the stops to find them.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

B.C.C. Lapp

While we wait to hear, prayers out for them.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Old Greenhorn

Sorry to say I just found this:
"It is with heavy hearts that we confirm ... a CH-47D Series 'Chinook' helicopter operated by ROTAK Helicopter Services with two pilots on board was involved in an accident in the area near Salmon," ROTAK Helicopter Services told EastIdahoNews.com. "Emergency medical teams are responding to the scene."

Full (short) article here: https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/07/2-pilots-on-board-helicopter-that-crashed-into-salmon-river-medical-teams-on-scene/

Lets just wait and see what they find when they get on site. That is a large aircraft.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

firefighter ontheside

I'm sorry to see this.  Another article says that the helicopter crashed into the Salmon River.  Nothing has been reported about the condition of the pilots.  Nothing has been reported on NIFC.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

maineshops

We will put them In our prayers. I was a firefighter I'm wy for 40 yrs so I understand. Dan
Phil:4, 13

charles mann

They were either going into or coming out of the dip, since it went down in the river. Yes comms in that area are very spotty, esp cellular. Iv been in salmon, id before as a mech on one a civilian 47 with my previous employer. 

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/07/2-pilots-on-board-helicopter-that-crashed-into-salmon-river-medical-teams-on-scene/

But unfortunately, he was onboard. Confirmed by his father, in orafino, id. He and I followed each other around from korea in 03 to ft hood to ft riley, when i got med boarded in 2010. Upon his retirement a few years, he was the lead maint test pilot for several of newly established chinook companies. 
Temple, Tx

Old Greenhorn

Charles, I am deeply sorry to read the outcome of this accident and would like to pass on my sincere condolences. It is inherently dangerous work, but still in spite of our best efforts and training, things go wrong. I am truly sorry and deeply appreciative of both your friends service as well as yours.
 Please be at peace.

charles mann

Temple, Tx

barbender

Sorry to hear this, Charles- you have my condolences😕
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Sad! Another USFS fire suppression loss. Prayers sent!
~Ron

firefighter ontheside

Rest easy my firefighting brothers.   We have it from here.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

I am terribly sorry to hear about this Charles. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Sorry to see this, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Walnut Beast

Bad deal! Absolute warriors fighting the fires!! Prayers for sure! 

B.C.C. Lapp

Sorry to read this.   Condolences to the family and friends left behind.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Jeff

So sad and so sorry Charles. Prayers for the family and friends.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

This is sad.  So many times, we hear of those working to help others giving their all.  

charles mann

Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!