iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 350 Final drive fun

Started by NHtreefarmahfan, November 05, 2022, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHtreefarmahfan

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Worked a little bit on the crawler today. Been going thru the fluids and picked changing the finals today. For starters the drain plugs were both a little smooshed over. Had to sacrifice a 3/8 extension and grind it to fit. Some heat from a little hand torch and they both came out. I was happy to see the oil was not contaminated or overfull. The hardest part of this project... finding a couple new pipe plugs  :o... I've been going to Napa for most things on this machine and have had good luck. But not today as the guy looked at me like I had two heads and wouldn't even attempt to help. So on to the next chain store where You got to have the make,model, 2wd or 4wd to find anything apparently  :D... so on to the third store. I go and find the guy with the most grey hair. Put that plug down in front of him. He reaches behind him grabs a nice variety pack of plugs for me and I'm on my way  :Dlong story short the parts supply business in this country is pretty much dead in my opinion but that's a topic for another day  :D Well anyway the old 350 has new drain plugs and oil and is running good. Sorry for the long winded story. Hope everyone's doing well  :)
1965 JD 350 logger special "Johnny Boy"

stavebuyer

Since you're a "young fella" with an older machine I wish you well. In the "future" even if they have what you need if it doesn't convert to a part for a 2023 Kia you will be out of luck.

newoodguy78

Grey haired parts people can't be replaced. Any time I go to the parts counter at a new place I try to pick out the oldest looking one     :D. Of course most of the parts I'm looking for aren't exactly for new equipment. More than once I've had to explain what the machine or implement is I'm talking about.

moodnacreek

If that plug was pipe thread that is a standard hardware or plumbing item. You will have to learn to be your own parts man. If there is a will there is a way. Don't expect others to be able to help with old stuff. Times change.

NHtreefarmahfan

That was indeed 1/2 pipe. Sadly your right about times changing. But you cant beat the experience of hopping in the old pickup for a parts run. You also cant beat holding something in your hand before buying it in my opinion.   

Old Greenhorn

Those grey haired parts guys started disappearing about 30 years ago. There aren't many left. I had an f150 about 30 years ago and when the muffler went and I found out it was like 300 bucks because it have a special hanger weld on it, I said 'later for that' and went to the parts shop. I explained what I wanted but the kid kept saying "Make? Model? Year? engine size?" I asked if John was in, and they said it's his day off. I told them I would be back. Came in after work a day later, John was in. I just gave him the specs "2-1/2" inlet, 2-3/4" outlet, round muffler". He left and came back 2 minutes later with a $23.00 muffler. Never even looked in a parts book, never asked the 3 questions. I took the label off the box and nailed it to the shop wall. I took that to the parts shop for 3 more mufflers while I had that truck. 
 I miss John, but I found him working part time at a parts store down in town. Hard to catch him 'in' though. Those guys were gold to me and I always tried to buy them coffee or bring donuts for the shop.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Joe Hillmann

The local napa used to be good at having knowledgeable employees who could help find parts when you had no idea what nak model or type of machine it was originally part of.  But that is no longer the case.  

The local carquest is now the best but nowhere near what napa used to be.

All the other parts stores cant help you unless you hav a make, model, year and trim package.  

stavebuyer

You also used to have better than 50-50 odds that the starter or alternator you just bought might work better than the faulty one you were seeking to replace.

Have your OEM stuff rebuilt if possible.

GRANITEstateMP

I look for the angry, crusty parts guy every time! I sold parts for a long time at a dealer. A lot of parts cross over but not "in the book". Common sense and a measuring device help me get a lot of people back up and running vs. waiting a day or two for SOP parts to come in
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

NHtreefarmahfan

It also helps when the parts guy knew what you were working on cause he worked on one himself  :D... I also get funny looks when I ask for oem parts..motorcraft,mopar and what not. Instead of what ever brand they try peddling. Maybe it doesn't matter but it makes me feel good  :D 

moodnacreek

Some of those old time parts men had the phone number on the wall of the guy who won the bid at the auction when the stuff for that old machine went obsolete.                   A very irritating thing with using the internet is that you never have the traditional format the books had.

Thank You Sponsors!