iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this and how do you tell?

Started by Karl2476, November 15, 2022, 02:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl2476

Uk tree, what is this and what are the tells please?

doc henderson

any bark or leaf pics?  we (and I use the term loosely) would need a fresh cut end grain pic enlarged or magnified.  I am not the one you seek however to analyze that pic.  there are others on the forum that can help with that.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

The main thing is a better pic, from that one I'm rather sure it is round.. It is an oak from the ring porous growth and obvious rays. You have a possible metal streak in the lower right. Quercus Robur is the most common woodland tree there I believe.
Quercus robur - Wikipedia

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ron Wenrich

You need to blow the picture up.  There are saw marks, but there are also rays.  Looks like some sort of white oak.  Quercus robur fits.

How do you tell?  The rays put it in the oak category.  The brown heart is typical for white oak. The pores in the wood look to be plugged (occluded).
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Agree, see rays but a clean cut (sharp chisel or knife) and clear photo showing the cell structure, along with a photo of the bark. Will help.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yes, like the guys mentioned there are rays, radially. And saw marks laterally. The end needs to be clear, cut smooth with a knife and magnified a bit.

Most of us here are mostly familiar with NA tree species, of which there are 2 or 3 wood technology and wood ID books written about them used in forestry colleges. They have clear magnified end grain photos and descriptions written up and ID keys to narrow down the possibilities. Along with a tree anatomy section as well as wood properties by species. A sharp knife and a 10x hand lens are essential to see the wood grain well when you are unsure, along with a handy reference or lots of experience. You first have to know what a wood ray looks like, what ring porous is, what tylosis is, what a growth ring is. What is sapwood? heartwood? Late wood? Early wood? Vessels? What?? ;)

Pic for context

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!